Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The "best quality drinks" excuse was a real gem. You'd swear that the rest of the town are serving Tesco Value brand to their customers. I would understand it if they gave out Grey Goose as their default vodka or Captain Morgans Private Stock as their spiced rum but they're using the exact same brands as everywhere else.

Coming to think of it, the "worst" brand of Vodka you'd be served in Waterford is Huzzar and considering that comes from the same group that gives us Jameson and Cork Dry Gin, I wouldn't think of it as an inferior product to any of the other main brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i say the majority of this town would accept tesco priced drink if they knew they could have a good night out on a fifty euro note ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I remember when I started going out in dungarvan 10 years ago I used to go out on £25 and have change. €2.50 a pint and have about 6, £5 into Davitts and then a burger. Those were the days.

Changing the €2.50 drinks night to Wednesday is inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Yeah apparently when asked about drinks offers originally they said " we only serve the most top quality drinks" - they just forgot to mention their going to be charging twice the amount masons are for the same ones :)

Yeah I remember that alright, they obviously thought that would attract high society or something. They need a major reality check if they think "just" E3 in on a monday night is a deal, when everywhere else is free and cheaper, along with masons doing E2.50. If they keep this up they will do nothing over the summer, which is a pity because it's a nice looking place, and the jobs are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The whole thing has been an embarrassment...and one that was predicted by us all.

Open seven nights a week has become 6. In reality they should have started with Fridays and Saturdays and built on demand.

Door charge every night has become free passes flooding the town.

Staff not allowed to drink on the premises has become "please drink on our premises, we need the money"

Woodman have decreased their prices for regulars to try and compete with their nearest competition.

Builders over in Muldoons have been told to "stand down" for up to 6 weeks...

• Advertisement

Builders over in Muldoons have been told to "stand down" for up to 6 weeks...

I saw them in there only yesterday...

Did you see builders or people cleaning up? Think now...

AdMMM wrote: »
    I saw them in there only yesterday...

Them builders can't even get stopping right...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

You would all wanna shut up, a company invests in Waterford, something that is sorely needed and I haven't seen one positive comment on here, the nit picking is atrocious! An above poster is astounded that they're deleting unsavoury comments off their facebook, of course they are. Jesus.

Now lads...you should all shut up. You're upsetting their staff.

• Advertisement

Now lads...you should all shut up. You're upsetting their staff.

Funny enough... I don't work there.

Funnily enough, I don't believe ya.

I want them to come on and engage with us. Get us around to their way of thinking. People dont automatically deserve respect just because they come baring jobs. Besides, there are other threads for that type if thing. This is the nightlife thread where everyone has the right to talk about pubs and clubs as openly as is allowed. When the foundry does something to impress me, I'll be the first to post about it here. Just hasn't happened yet.

O Riain wrote: »
    You would all wanna shut up, a company invests in Waterford, something that is sorely needed and I haven't seen one positive comment on here, the nit picking is atrocious! An above poster is astounded that they're deleting unsavoury comments off their facebook, of course they are. Jesus.

how was asking a question an "unsavoury comment"? this is not the first time they have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Now lads calm it down!!

Out of interest O Riain why haven't you jumped to the defence of Harveys? They have been slatted on this thread in general and in particular the last 24 hours.

Anyway, IMHO this fourm would become very boring, very fast if all we did only said positive things and didn't argue. Posts can say whatever they want within the rules of the site

If you want to defend the foundry how about ou tell us why you like it? As opposed to wildly telling us to shut up.

ziedth wrote: »
    Out of interest O Riain why haven't you jumped to the defence of Harveys? They have been slatted on this thread in general and in particular the last 24 hours.

Anyway, IMHO this fourm would become very boring, very fast if all we did only said positive things and didn't argue.

If you want to defend the foundry how about ou tell us why you like it? As opposed to wildly telling us to shut up.

I think the moaning in general is obscene and its the same carry on I see in the music festival thread. Granted ye may not like the place, I bet most of ye havent even been in there, but its almost like ye want them to fail, Ive been away alot and when i come home to waterford its fairly depressing seeing town with the hole that was left by the tweedy places closing. The foundry is a nightclub and you all expect it to act like a teenage disco. In limerick theres 2 main nightclubs(bigger population so it can handle two) each charge in most nights and each have nightclub prices and you know who complains?
    no body.
    dont like it, dont go in, dont complain.
    simple as

I have no problem with the charge on the door. To be honest I think every nightclub should have a charge. Masons gets a lot of good press here but I'm totally against what they are doing at the moment. Essentially starting a race to the bottom. With over 18 premises he receives massive discounts on drink and is in a better position to offer the mad prices that he's offering right now.

But the foundry came down with a cocky attitude, as if there hadn't been a decent venue in this town until they arrived. We have been saying it for a long time now that waterford is suffering a lot more than other counties and the foundry are starting to see that first hand.

Now the interesting question is, what happens if masons do introduce "wet Wednesdays"...

Say.,.thirsty tuesdays all drinks 2.50
    Wet Wednesdays all drinks 3 euro
    Tasty Thursdays all drinks 3.50

What will the foundry do then? They have already shown their hand at this early stage and admitted that they can't compete with 2.50 drinks...masons have an opportunity now to kick them while they're down.

I wonder will they take it. I wonder if they read these forums. :-)

Of course they are?! Social Media is not the correct medium for moderating comments. The likes of Facebook generate organic and natural conversation. Attitudes can turn pretty sour pretty quick if people realise that their comments are being moderated. The key to having a good social media presence is to engage with everyone, even those who do seem to be against you.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Of course they are?! Social Media is not the correct medium for moderating comments. The likes of Facebook generate organic and natural conversation. Attitudes can turn pretty sour pretty quick if people realise that their comments are being moderated. The key to having a good social media presence is to engage with everyone, even those who do seem to be against you.

Are you telling me if i went onto Mason facebook and did the same that my comments would stay there? How about if i started giving out about ole boards.ie here? Can a MOD clarify that my comments would be deleted and I would be at least warned/banned?

Boards puts itself puts itself out there and has sections especially for people who may have negative feedback.

If you're prepared to exploit Facebook for your own gain then you should be prepared to accept the other side.

That's the official stance but my personal opinion is that businesses should tackle negative opinion head on.

Imagine the scenario...you complain about a pub...they reply in an understanding manner and then come up with a solution that you may be satisfied with. First off you'll probably be taken aback and then you'll more than likely become a semi supporter of said company.

But hey...we're giving these guys enough ideas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I think the moaning in general is obscene and its the same carry on I see in the music festival thread. Granted ye may not like the place, I bet most of ye havent even been in there, but its almost like ye want them to fail, Ive been away alot and when i come home to waterford its fairly depressing seeing town with the hole that was left by the tweedy places closing. The foundry is a nightclub and you all expect it to act like a teenage disco. In limerick theres 2 main nightclubs(bigger population so it can handle two) each charge in most nights and each have nightclub prices and you know who complains?
    no body.
    dont like it, dont go in, dont complain.
    simple as

I could say the same thing to you about this thread.
    I'm not sure who looks after the Masons Facebook page these days, but if it's the manager, I don't think he'd just delete a negative comment without some discussion. And as for criticising Boards, there's a whole Feedback forum where you are free to air your grievances in a polite, constructive manner.

Are you telling me if i went onto Mason facebook and did the same that my comments would stay there? How about if i started giving out about ole boards.ie here? Can a MOD clarify that my comments would be deleted and I would be at least warned/banned?

Well as a MOD I think boards is totally in the wrong with the stance it's begininng to take in regards AH talking about celebrities. how is that for ya?

There is a difference between going onto their facbook page saying "ah your ****" and posting what Ledger did.

Anyway, we're getting carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

It just shows they have no interest in what the locals want ---- I left a comment asking them if for their customers they were going to match the free entry and €2.50 drinks like masons or do some offers .....

Their response......

Deleted the comment and blocked the page from my facebook page!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DunmoreRode

It just shows they have no interest in what the locals want ---- I left a comment asking them if for their customers they were going to match the free entry and €2.50 drinks like masons or do some offers .....

Their response......

What a joke, what is the point in them having a facebook page if they can't even answer a straight forward question like that!!

What a joke, what is the point in them having a facebook page if they can't even answer a straight forward question like that!!

They blamed all deleting of comments on "Bad Language" so when someone put up a comment saying " I f***ing love the Foundry" they immediately "liked" the comment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The Foundry is a **** hole. Found myself in there last Friday. Never again. Awful music and the place full of children.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The Foundry is a **** hole. Found myself in there last Friday. Never again. Awful music and the place full of children.

+1

Was in there myself once - on the opening night, no atmosphere, ignorant staff, terrible dj.
    To be honest out of all these high profile dj's they have hired only one stands out as been a good dj - Step forward Andy Mac :)
    Also they should have looked at hiring more local dj's as they are better at getting the crowd going than the majority of them in there now. Id rather pay my €5 to go see the likes of some good dj's like Stephen Power, Darren Skelton, Mick o' Dowd, Shay Searson, Neill Kelly etc who play to the crowd rather than these over rated dj's they have at the moment!!!
    Bring back Rubys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

gosh.

perhaps waterford has finally realized it doesn't need 4 clubs bangin out the same sh*te house music on the same crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Some negative comments of the Foundry Facebook page seem to be slipping through

One noting the better value in Masons and another seemingly getting barred for not even being in there - whatever that was about - must've posted something bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Their response......

Serious? It wasnt even a smart alec comment you posted, looks like Masons is their sore point at the moment.

Advertisement