Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 finnie1985

Nope.

I do know for a fact that some gardaí are fully aware of what's going on in this particular place. And that the staff turn a blind eye, for their own safety, nothing else.

Im sorry to say but this is a very serious statement to say about any business. To post this here can lead to disasterous complications for the businesses and staff involved whether it is true or not.

Regarding what was said about the foundry, whether people like the place or not, the statement about the bouncers and drug dealers should not of been mentioned as them here especially from a not so credible source of a "friend who works there".

I do not post often but i frequent here to the waterford city board as i am interested in this topic about nightclubs in waterford. This topic was great, but i am afraid it may get out of hand due to pure speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

finnie1985 wrote: »
    Im sorry to say but this is a very serious statement to say about any business. To post this here can lead to disasterous complications for the businesses and staff involved whether it is true or not.

Regarding what was said about the foundry, whether people like the place or not, the statement about the bouncers and drug dealers should not of been mentioned as them here especially from a not so credible source of a "friend who works there".

I do not post often but i frequent here to the waterford city board as i am interested in this topic about nightclubs in waterford. This topic was great, but i am afraid it may get out of hand due to pure speculation.

+1

Any of my posts were to do with the running of( or the lack of) the night club itself and not a personal attack on any one imparticular.
    You just have to remember if you mention about different staff in there like the "head" bouncer or the manager himself that you are forgetting that possibly their friends or family could be reading this thread and it makes it a lot more personal.
    Speculation is the mother of all F*** - ups :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I find the photos they post interesting. I'm guessing they take the photos at the beginning of the night, before it fills up, but it gives the impression that only a handful of people are going there. I'm sure on Saturdays at least its more full than what the photos suggest.

I certainly don't hope the Foundry fails, but I do hope the cover charge fails. Who cares if they pay cover charges in Limerick or Naas, lets keep Waterford cover charge free!!!

I think that could be a good marketing strategy to get outsiders to come down for a night out. They don't know which pubs they like, but at least if there is no cover charge they can easily experiment.

Waterford has the cheapest hotels, so it could be a good weekend choice for young people with a bit of spare cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I do know for a fact that some gardaí are fully aware of what's going on in this particular place. And that the staff turn a blind eye, for their own safety, nothing else.
    Grand so, I'd like to see where that fact is.

Because without some evidence to back yourself up here, it's nothing but blatant speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nope.

would you mind pm'ing me with the name of this place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

dayshah wrote: »
    I find the photos they post interesting. I'm guessing they take the photos at the beginning of the night, before it fills up, but it gives the impression that only a handful of people are going there. I'm sure on Saturdays at least its more full than what the photos suggest.

I certainly don't hope the Foundry fails, but I do hope the cover charge fails. Who cares if they pay cover charges in Limerick or Naas, lets keep Waterford cover charge free!!!

I think that could be a good marketing strategy to get outsiders to come down for a night out. They don't know which pubs they like, but at least if there is no cover charge they can easily experiment.

Waterford has the cheapest hotels, so it could be a good weekend choice for young people with a bit of spare cash.

Most of the pictures are taking during the night, I find it strange taking pics when the club is quiet. anyone looking at their facebook wil say this looks empty , take them when its busy makes scence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nope.

That's not you said. You said the club in question had an arrangement with these drug dealers. Either way it's bullshít unless you have something more credible than your "mate" who "works" there. I've worked in nearly all of the clubs in this city that have been open in the last 10 years and there was never any arrangement with drug dealers (under duress or otherwise).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

There's a lot of sh*te being talked here today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Slot of unnessecary comparisons being made to masons. Masons is not a nightclub, it is a bar with a late license. What they can offer and what te foundry offers cannot be the same. Ask anyoe with a bit of a clue could a nightclub that only opens 23:30/gets busy at 00:30 manage to make a profit with €2.50 drinks or no cover charge. Masons can do this as it is open earlier and can manage to make a decent profit over the Space of the night. Let's be realistic here now lads really and stop makin The foundry out to be the boogie man because as of now it acts like every nightclub in the country and your expectations are simply my sustainable.
    I would assume once muldoons and oxygen reopen you will see deals in whatever one they choose to use as a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Are you gonna man up and admit to working there?

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    Slot of unnessecary comparisons being made to masons. Masons is not a nightclub, it is a bar with a late license. What they can offer and what te foundry offers cannot be the same. Ask anyoe with a bit of a clue could a nightclub that only opens 23:30/gets busy at 00:30 manage to make a profit with €2.50 drinks or no cover charge. Masons can do this as it is open earlier and can manage to make a decent profit over the Space of the night. Let's be realistic here now lads really and stop makin The foundry out to be the boogie man because as of now it acts like every nightclub in the country and your expectations are simply my sustainable.
    I would assume once muldoons and oxygen reopen you will see deals in whatever one they choose to use as a bar.

They can both offer the same drinks but at 2 different prices - masons @ €2.50, Foundry @ twice that - no excuse for that!
    Masons can offer good bands, decent dj's and pleasant staff and value for money - Which out of these 4 can the foundry offer?

Did you ever stop and think before your rant that maybe theres a reason that they don't get busy until 12:30? Im thinking it may have something to do with whats listed above.....................

Rubbish. Masons runs as a nightclub upstairs, with a live band downstairs - in fact they offer a lot more than just cheaper drink compared to the Foundry. Masons isn't exactly full at 10 o'clock so you're opening times comparison doesn't work.

That said, I think the Foundry would be hard pressed to make a profit at €2.50 a drink, but not for the reasons you mentioned. There's nothing stopping them from having drinks at say, €4. That is a reasonable price to pay in a nightclub and would put them on a more level playing filed with Masons. As a matter of interest, how much is a pint in the Foundry?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

This madness was touched on earlier ib the thread (by a suspected shill interestingly) and it doesnt add up.can you Explain what is more expensive between Harveys late bar and a nightclub? things IMHO that wouldn't be effected are:

Cost of drink
    DJ's
    Staff
    Security
    Insurance
    Light&Heat
    Cleaning suppliers
    Late bar licence

So my question is this, why does a nightclub cost more if all these expenses are the same?

All in favour of banning O Riain for such ridiculous statements please raise your thumbs :rolleyes: lol

Elbows22 wrote: »
    All in favour of banning O Riain for such ridiculous statements please raise your thumbs :rolleyes: lol

What's ridiculous about it? I work in a nightclub in limerick, bout 1/3 size of The bar ts a very busy place, last Saturday after the munster Leinster match was the busiest it's been in a year and in the nightclub with full drink prices aside from 3 bottles of miller for a ten and the bullround the nightclub made about €3500 excluding cloak room and door charge. Onl a regular night you are talking no more than €2500. This is with FULL price pints and spirits and it's expensive bar. This bar is operating at a loss(through the week)
    Waterford is obviously quieter so your probably talking the place pulling about 5000 on a Saturday? That is hardly profits through the roof now lads is it, cuttin prices means less profit and make it unsustainable.
    I don't work there but most of ye obviously have no clue how bars work
    You never hear people in limerick complain about a cover charge and nightclub drink prices. It's the norm lads and ye are all so out of the loop it's unreal.

What's ridiculous about it? I work in a nightclub in limerick, bout 1/3 size of The bar ts a very busy place, last Saturday after the munster Leinster match was the busiest it's been in a year and in the nightclub with full drink prices aside from 3 bottles of miller for a ten and the bullround the nightclub made about €3500 excluding cloak room and door charge. Onl a regular night you are talking no more than €2500. This is with FULL price pints and spirits and it's expensive bar. This bar is operating at a loss(through the week)
    Waterford is obviously quieter so your probably talking the place pulling about 5000 on a Saturday? That is hardly profits through the roof now lads is it, cuttin prices means less profit and make it unsustainable.
    You never hear people in limerick complain about a cover charge and nightclub drink prices. It's the norm lads and ye are all so out of the loop it's unreal.

I could imagine without a shadow of a doubt that one bar in The Foundry will pull in more than that on a Saturday night - lowering the prices by a small bit even will mean more drink sold,more customers and more profit.
    If you have a nightclub making only €2500 on a Saturday night even in this day and age you have serious problems (id say the Exchange does more even with €3 drinks and that closes at normal times - no extension)
    You never hear people in limerick complain about a cover charge and nightclub drink prices

Probably afraid of getting stabbed :cool:
    It's the norm lads and ye are all so out of the loop it's unreal.

Your so far past the line, the line is now a dot to you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

yer all aul for profit dont be fooling the pple ,,,

Elbows22 wrote: »
    I could imagine without a shadow of a doubt that one bar in The Foundry will pull in more than that on a Saturday night - lowering the prices by a small bit even will mean more drink sold,more customers and more profit.
    If you have a nightclub making only €2500 on a Saturday night even in this day and age you have serious problems (id say the Exchange does more even with €3 drinks and that closes at normal times - no extension)

Probably afraid of getting stabbed :cool:

Your so far past the line, the line is now a dot to you :cool:

You can imagine without a shadow of a doubt can ya? Where's that lad who works in the foundry? How much does your till pull in every Saturday?? If ya don't mind me asking. Ye all go on about how quiet it is in there then go and say it's raking it in. The club I work in has a pub attached and that will get more over the night, but the nightclub itself isn't busy till 12:00. Also aside from masons, revolution, harveys, how much is it for a pint in front lounge, woodman, kazbar and geoffs these days?? Near enough the same by any chance????

More rubbish. At least 5 or 6 people posting in this thread have several years experience behind them. I can assure you that I have more than a clue as to how bars work.

€5000 on a Saturday? Even just before it closed, Muldoon's was doing better than that. With cheaper prices than The Foundry (I'm led to believe) and no door charge too.

What it comes down to is this:
    1. Charging in every night of the week is a mistake - especially when Sun nights have always been free.
    2. Their attitude on Facebook is very damaging. That comment about only using "top quality" products is crap. Smirnoff is not a top quality vodka and if Masons can sell it at €2.50, Foundry's argument is invalid.
    3. I don't think anyone honestly expects them to match the prices in Masons, but they could certainly do better.
    4. It still looks like Ruby's to me, from the photos.

You can imagine without a shadow of a doubt can ya? Where's that lad who works in the foundry? How much does your till pull in every Saturday?? If ya don't mind me asking. Ye all go on about how quiet it is in there then go and say it's raking it in. The club I work in has a pub attached and that will get more over the night, but the nightclub itself isn't busy till 12:00. Also aside from masons, revolution, harveys, how much is it for a pint in front lounge, woodman, kazbar and geoffs these days?? Near enough the same by any chance????

You my friend are an idiot :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DunmoreRode

Wow!

As I've said in response to the many PM's I've recieved I will not mention the name of the business that I referred to in earlier posts and I really regret having posted in this thread in the first place!!

People (especially those who think they have worked in the place that I'm talking about) seem really rattled by my posts and that was never my intention.

Please ignore my previous posts and keep yer heads buried in the sand:)

Enjoy the nightlife, that's what it's there for:)

Adyx wrote: »
    More rubbish. At least 5 or 6 people posting in this thread have several years experience behind them. I can assure you that I have more than a clue as to how bars work.

€5000 on a Saturday? Even just before it closed, Muldoon's was doing better than that. With cheaper prices than The Foundry (I'm led to believe) and no door charge too.

What it comes down to is this:
    1. Charging in every night of the week is a mistake - especially when Sun nights have always been free.
    2. Their attitude on Facebook is very damaging. That comment about only using "top quality" products is crap. Smirnoff is not a top quality vodka and if Masons can sell it at €2.50, Foundry's argument is invalid.
    3. I don't think anyone honestly expects them to match the prices in Masons, but they could certainly do better.
    4. It still looks like Ruby's to me, from the photos.

Admittedly i havent been in there, im just goin on what everyone here says and all im hearin is its dead most nights so i gave a pretty low estimate of what it would make. to be honest i just picture waterford being this barren wasteland in geneal most nights. Its been so unbelievably dead anytime iv been home(except for a few student nights over the last few months) thats why i think the negativity towards the foundry is unwarranted.
    Plus this above Bullsh*t about the drugs and the bouncers i get the feeling theres almost a vendetta, look at my previous posts, ive never once said the foundry is the messiah that will save us all, i did say it was good for the town and it is, all im sayin to everyone is you have to be realistic, night clubs charge in(every night believe it or not) and do not offer cheap drinks, so why expect different of the foundry i just dont understand.. anyway im given up on this.

Wow!

As I've said in response to the many PM's I've recieved I will not mention the name of the business that I referred to in earlier posts and I really regret having posted in this thread in the first place!!

People (especially those who think they have worked in the place that I'm talking about) seem really rattled by my posts and that was never my intention.

Keep yer heads buried in the sand??

are you serious like? I have told you via pm that you can tell me through pm so since you brought it up be a man and back yourself up please

pm me the name of the venue you are talking about

Wow!

I know I haven't worked in the place you're talking about. I'm not rattled by what you said as much as I am that you're posting false information about a business. Come back here with actual, honest proof of this and I'll believe you. Until then we'll ignore you no problem. :)

I know I haven't worked in the place you're talking about. I'm not rattled by what you said as much as I am that you're posting false information about a business. Come back here with actual, honest proof of this and I'll believe you. Until then we'll ignore you no problem. :)

BOOM :cool:

Judging from the pm's he has sent me the chap is full of it so wouldnt be paying him too much attention anyway

Admittedly i havent been in there, im just goin on what everyone here says and all im hearin is its dead most nights so i gave a pretty low estimate of what it would make. to be honest i just picture waterford being this barren wasteland in geneal most nights. Its been so unbelievably dead anytime iv been home(except for a few student nights over the last few months) thats why i think the negativity towards the foundry is unwarranted.
    Plus this above Bullsh*t about the drugs and the bouncers i get the feeling theres almost a vendetta, look at my previous posts, ive never once said the foundry is the messiah that will save us all, i did say it was good for the town and it is, all im sayin to everyone is you have to be realistic, night clubs charge in(every night believe it or not) and do not offer cheap drinks, so why expect different of the foundry i just dont understand.. anyway im given up on this.

Ok, now first off I hope it does well too. I know a good few of the staff in there and I'm delighted they're providing much needed employment. Secondly, the thing about the drugs was from one new user without any evidence to back himself up. I wouldn't take any notice of him.

I agree we do have to be realistic. But so do the Foundry. Their current business model might have worked in Carlow, but it's been tried here many times and failed. It is not sustainable long term. As I said before, I don't expect The Foundry to match Masons, but paying a €10 in, then €5+ for a drink won't work here. Especially for a club that really doesn't seem to offer anything new. I haven't been in there either btw (and it's unlikely I ever will be going by their Facebook pics). Plus, that whole Facebook comments thing is a disaster. Hopefully the Munster or News & Star will print some of the posts about that in the paper.

Again all in favour of banning O Riain for ridiculous statements give the thumbs up :cool: haha

I think i'd be the best mod ever :cool:

Ok, now first off I hope it does well too. I know a good few of the staff in there and I'm delighted they're providing much needed employment. Secondly, the thing about the drugs was from one new user without any evidence to back himself up. I wouldn't take any notice of him.

I agree we do have to be realistic. But so do the Foundry. Their current business model might have worked in Carlow, but it's been tried here many times and failed. It is not sustainable long term. As I said before, I don't expect The Foundry to match Masons, but paying a €10 in, then €5+ for a drink won't work here. Especially for a club that really doesn't seem to offer anything new. I haven't been in there either btw (and it's unlikely I ever will be going by their Facebook pics). Plus, that whole Facebook comments thing is a disaster. Hopefully the Munster or News & Star will print some of the posts about that in the paper.

jesus, someone being realistic at last, look i wudnt pay 10 euro in either but at the end of the day its done everywhere, ya said it doesnt have anything new, up here the busiest club, the icon has absolutely nothin extra to offer over what Rubys had yet at the mo its packed most nights of the week. At the end of the day theres not a whole lot ya can or should expect from a nightclub.

• Advertisement

Wow!

If your brave enough to make the statement in the first place you should be brave enough to pm an answer - otherwise my friend you are full of s***:rolleyes:

Advertisement