Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

old gregg wrote: »
    btw, was at a super techno session down in the showboat last sat night before scooting over to ASIWYFA in the Forum
    Many at that gig in the Showboat? Seems like an odd place for techno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

dayshah wrote: »
    True. Anyone who publicises the recipe for Skittles Cocktails is worth of honour and respect :)

Im confused??? 22Elbows?

And Yes skittles is epic haha

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

Looking back to bands like Ash, The Devlins and even last week And So I Watch You From Afar playing Waterford and not filling the place when they'd sell out larger venues elsewhere. Funny place for new music.

Not true regarding And So I Watch You From Afar. They did just under 500 last Saturday, which is the same as they pulled in Dublin and more than they pulled in Limerick, on the same tour. Not bad for Waterford considering comparative populations. Great band, pulled 150 for me in Electric Avenue last year and up to 450+ this time, based mainly on word of mouth about their live show. Who knows, next time it could be 800 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

And if you owned a bar...how many people in Waterford would you expect to do the same?

i think thats pretty irrelevant. unless i won the lotto i would have no intention of opening up a bar but for the foreseeable future i am going to keep going to gigs and what the other people of waterford want to do is of no concern to me.
    i dont care about bars making profits. i just enjoy new and original music especially when its coming from my home county. im very proud of the bands here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

I've found going out to gigs in Waterford pretty hit and miss over the years in terms of how the public support new music.

very true. i'll never forget going to see the stone roses experience last year in escape nightclub (i know, what were they thinking). i'd been to see them many times in dublin and also in electric avenue and they were fantastic gigs. but my god the treatment they recieved in escape was embarassing. and when the dj cut them off during the outro of the last song. i was so ashamed
    And So I Watch You From Afar playing Waterford and not filling the place when they'd sell out larger venues elsewhere

that was excellant value as well at only 5 euro. had made huge plans with the lads to go to it but i ended up having to go to a 21st up in carrick on suir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Many at that gig in the Showboat? Seems like an odd place for techno!

around 30 I suppose .... plenty space for showing off the dance moves :p

Not true regarding And So I Watch You From Afar. They did just under 500 last Saturday, which is the same as they pulled in Dublin and more than they pulled in Limerick, on the same tour. Not bad for Waterford considering comparative populations. Great band, pulled 150 for me in Electric Avenue last year and up to 450+ this time, based mainly on word of mouth about their live show. Who knows, next time it could be 800 !

That's fair enough, you know the numbers. I suppose I thought of it in terms of how much empty space there was and figured that they'd pack the place. Excellent band and hopefully you're right about the 800 next time.

few cans? wrote: »
    that was excellant value as well at only 5 euro. had made huge plans with the lads to go to it but i ended up having to go to a 21st up in carrick on suir
    bang on there, 5 euro was absolutely superb value for money. I'd have paid 20 and felt I got a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

bang on there, 5 euro was absolutely superb value for money. I'd have paid 20 and felt I got a good deal.

Yep fair play to them, they did the gig for me at a small fee due to me booking them for Benicassim Festival in Spain in July. We decided to pass the saving onto our Traffik regulars. Gonna try and get them back for a stand alone Xmas show with a couple of good support slots. Might have to charge €10/€12.50v for that one, but I think people won't have a problem paying that after last week's brilliant set

Yep fair play to them, they did the gig for me at a small fee due to me booking them for Benicassim Festival in Spain in July. We decided to pass the saving onto our Traffik regulars. Gonna try and get them back for a stand alone Xmas show with a couple of good support slots. Might have to charge €10/€12.50v for that one, but I think people won't have a problem paying that after last week's brilliant set

I'll be there along with almost everyone from last weekend. Nice call passing on the savings.

Support from their stable-mates Hands Up Who Wants To Die would be sweet. They played a blinder in Sals recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Im confused??? 22Elbows?

And Yes skittles is epic haha

Look at post 1600 on this thread. Some new guy digs your name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

:D
    dayshah wrote: »
    Look at post 1600 on this thread. Some new guy digs your name :)

Dayshah we all know there is only 1 Elbows - anyone else are just wannabes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Elbows22 wrote: »

we all know there is only 1 Elbows
    Thank God:D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Prob not the place for this, but anyone fancy booking these guys (Hermitage Green) for a gig in town there deadly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOgr9amtkeU

Munsters very own Barry Murphy on guitar and vocals, and Felix Jones on the bodhran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

Was in Shortts tonight and the band was good but the music afterwards was definitely not what i expected. If I want to listen to Rihanna I know I can go anywhere else in Waterford. It's disgraceful at this stage because if you advertise your place to be different and alternative and you dont deliver then obviously you dont get as many people in as you would expect...
    The drink was cheap enough though: I paid 6.30 for a vodka and cranberry juice...
    The place is exactly the same, just redecorated...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Had a good laugh in Shortts, same as Electric Avenue, just wish they had the tables and chairs out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Ellie1984 wrote: »
    Was in Shortts tonight and the band was good but the music afterwards was definitely not what i expected. If I want to listen to Rihanna I know I can go anywhere else in Waterford. It's disgraceful at this stage because if you advertise your place to be different and alternative and you dont deliver then obviously you dont get as many people in as you would expect...
    The drink was cheap enough though: I paid 6.30 for a vodka and cranberry juice...

Yeah, instead of playing Rihanna songs, they should play her videos instead. I think you'd find me frequenting that pub...a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ellie1984 wrote: »

Yeah a live band being followed by Rihanna does seem to clash. Maybe they don't know what they want to be.

• Advertisement

Interesting. How much rhianna etc was played?

Im working with them to help open the place (I set up their recent Facebook fan page and designed their posters and flyers - their logos were already designed)

I don't know the owners so I'm not connected in the way that I was in the front lounge.

I'll also be DJing in there tonight and let me tell ya..it's gonna be stevie wonder, beatles, stone roses, smiths, blur, doves, oasis, 80s and 90s thrown in and absolutely no rhianna or any song that says "hello" over and over.

This is how I think it should be...the man who co owns it also thinks that way so I can only assume that the Dj last night was just new and didn't know the state of play. I would be interested to know the ratio of chart to good music.

Oh and I just started with them on Tuesday and it's just a temporary arrangement. #transparency

Interesting. How much rhianna etc was played?

Im working with them to help open the place (I set up their recent Facebook fan page and designed their posters and flyers - their logos were already designed)

I don't know the owners so I'm not connected in the way that I was in the front lounge.

I'll also be DJing in there tonight and let me tell ya..it's gonna be stevie wonder, beatles, stone roses, smiths, blur, doves, oasis, 80s and 90s thrown in and absolutely no rhianna or any song that says "hello" over and over.

This is how I think it should be...the man who co owns it also thinks that way so I can only assume that the Dj last night was just new and didn't know the state of play. I would be interested to know the ratio of chart to good music.

Oh and I just started with them on Tuesday and it's just a temporary arrangement. #transparency

No Smells like Teen Spirit so!

Lol well played sir

BTW sully, I emailed boards about setting up a representative account. Still waiting on a reply.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BTW sully, I emailed boards about setting up a representative account. Still waiting on a reply.

But you do realise, until this is arranged, you can't just ignore the rules? You go from club to club, take Feedback from here and try put it into practise. Now you are doing the same and to be honest I think it takes from the heart of the whole "discussion" forum when someone uses it for market research.

The policy we are asked to enforce is that you stop posting until your told to (hence Big Slick cant talk on Music Fest issues until he has agreed something with the Comm Team). Otherwise, we have to remove you from the forum. We have been turning a blind eye for a long time to a lot of people but we can't anymore. Don't make our jobs harder when you know the story.. :)

With all due respect, what are you talking about? Where have I broken rules?

You tell people to contact [email]hello@boards...that[/email]'s the very first thing I did. I've only been working with these people since tuesday. You seem to think that I work for half the town and are advertising them all. Well I'd ask you to show me where I have broken the rules and what justification you have for threatening to "remove me from these boards"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

looks like you really are 'abouttobebanned'

sorry couldnt resist

You tell people to contact [email]hello@boards...that[/email]'s the very first thing I did. I've only been working with these people since tuesday. You seem to think that I work for half the town and are advertising them all. Well I'd ask you to show me where I have broken the rules and what justification you have for threatening to "remove me from these boards"?

I have to say I agree with this. When he isn't working for any bars, he posts as regularly, if not more so, as when he is. He doesn't come on saying "what kind of music would you think would suit this place/what's a reasonable price point for drink/everyone come to Shortts I've heard it's the place to be. That's what shills do and we've seen enough of them over the years to know the difference.

As far as I can see, all he's ever done is contribute to the discussion about Waterford's Nightlife because it's a topic he's interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

nkay1985 wrote: »
    As far as I can see, all he's ever done is contribute to the discussion about Waterford's Nightlife because it's a topic he's interested in.

hear hear. he even started the thread. give the man a break

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm talking in general. :) Relax.

Advertisement