Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

the jam tarts are in a league of their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

kkdela6 wrote: »
    the jam tarts are in a league of their own :)

I'm actually going to see them on Sunday.

Satan has a point though, anyone who goes to see bands a bitwould go see blue moose or in my case j-90 before say a local band. Now, They may not be much better but when I was on college years ago they would pack our any place in town on a student night. They gotta be doing something right to still be a big pull today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Jam Tarts are superb, but haven't changed enough through the years for my liking. They've stuck to a similar set, which if you subscribe to a "if it's not broke don't fix it " formula" it's probably the right thing to do. I'd definitely prefer to see them before a good few of these "foreign" bands.

To answer the question about the bands in Masons....they are much bigger than the likes of the jam tarts, remedees etc...and they are much more expensive.

They have pretty massive rigs and their sound is huge. Pat in Masons puts them into some of his other venues as well but it just goes to show how well his operation is doing that he can pay these bands on a regular basis. As santan says, the students in particular love the J-90s etc and they don't cost and less than a grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

i understand ya alright, but i find it hard to fathom the substantial price differences from cover bands. hell we used to play in sals on the quay about 4 or 5 years ago for 200 quid and we were damn glad to get it! :pac:
    na but really, i cant say any of the bands ive heard in masons struck me as any better than some of the bands ive heard in the kazbar etc.
    (having said that, i'll never forget the time the band started playing 'killing in the name of' in masons and we started a mosh pit. it was worth getting kicked out)

kkdela6 wrote: »
    i understand ya alright, but i find it hard to fathom the substantial price differences from cover bands. hell we used to play in sals on the quay about 4 or 5 years ago for 200 quid and we were damn glad to get it! :pac:
    na but really, i cant say any of the bands ive heard in masons struck me as any better than some of the bands ive heard in the kazbar etc.
    (having said that, i'll never forget the time the band started playing 'killing in the name of' in masons and we started a mosh pit. it was worth getting kicked out)

That band always finish on killing in the name of (I can't think of their name) and all he'll breaks loose, they are very good band actually. They do a very very good cover of little lion man from Mumford and sons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I was in Uluru on the weekend and I was fairly shocked to see a toilet attendant working there.

I remember a few years ago it was the 'fashion' to have toilet attendants, but this was eliminated. Are they in many other locations?

I really dislike the idea of having toilet attendants.
    1) I don't need to be supervised having a piss
    2) The provision of lollipops in the jacks is unhygenic
    3) I can wash my hands by myself
    4) Its a horrible work environment for the toilet attendant

Some people might think the person should be glad of the job. Sure someone has to clean the jacks, but why should someone stay there all night. In other places they have someone who nips in and out of the jacks every 30 min or so. Also I think its hugely demeaning that the persons pay should be (even partly) determined by tipping. Why not just pay them a decent wage? Why does the pay for this 'service' depend on how happy a drunk customer is.

Toilet attendants are not part of the Irish culture. I for one am very hesitant about going back to the Uluru on account of this. I'd rather go somewhere where I can piss in comfort.

dayshah wrote: »
    I was in Uluru on the weekend and I was fairly shocked to see a toilet attendant working there.

I remember a few years ago it was the 'fashion' to have toilet attendants, but this was eliminated. Are they in many other locations?

I really dislike the idea of having toilet attendants.
    1) I don't need to be supervised having a piss
    2) The provision of lollipops in the jacks is unhygenic
    3) I can wash my hands by myself
    4) Its a horrible work environment for the toilet attendant

Some people might think the person should be glad of the job. Sure someone has to clean the jacks, but why should someone stay there all night. In other places they have someone who nips in and out of the jacks every 30 min or so. Also I think its hugely demeaning that the persons pay should be (even partly) determined by tipping. Why not just pay them a decent wage? Why does the pay for this 'service' depend on how happy a drunk customer is.

Toilet attendants are not part of the Irish culture. I for one am very hesitant about going back to the Uluru on account of this. I'd rather go somewhere where I can piss in comfort.

Off topic but I have a fuuny story involving one of these chaps, I was in birmingham few weeks ago for a stag and after 6 hours of pounding vodka and cokes in what may or may not have been a 80's gay bar I fell into the toilets.

Anyway, I use the spray becuase i'm having a cold sweat from all the previously mentioned vodka and say I'd give the poor chap something. I say i'll just throw him any change I have as I can't get it changed back I look at the change in my pockets and see what I took as about £2 in ten pence coins and throw it in the tray. yer man jumps up and shakes my hand and thanks me about nine times I look again in horror as I realise I gave him about £20 in one pound coins. Vodka and cokes were £4 and i just kept putting the coin change into my back pocket.

I agree though it's an awful awful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I went for a burger to Istanbul last night and parked near Diginity, there seemed to be a few around the door, inside looked to be busy too, and everywhere else quiet!!
    I wouldnt be surprised if Dignity are laughing at the other places that are struggling.

It's a place that is never really mentioned here and I wonder how they are doing on a Saturday night. Any time i have been in there on a night out I have had a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

ziedth wrote: »
    Off topic but I have a fuuny story involving one of these chaps, I was in birmingham few weeks ago for a stag and after 6 hours of pounding vodka and cokes in what may or may not have been a 80's gay bar I fell into the toilets.

Anyway, I use the spray becuase i'm having a cold sweat from all the previously mentioned vodka and say I'd give the poor chap something. I say i'll just throw him any change I have as I can't get it changed back I look at the change in my pockets and see what I took as about £2 in ten pence coins and throw it in the tray. yer man jumps up and shakes my hand and thanks me about nine times I look again in horror as I realise I gave him about £20 in one pound coins. Vodka and cokes were £4 and i just kept putting the coin change into my back pocket.

It wasn't a gay-bar Ziedth. For £20, it wouldn't have been your hand he was shaking.

• Advertisement

True enough, at least I would have got something for it :)

Had to unfriend and unlike Harveys on facebook. They post WAY too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

True enough, at least I would have got something for it :)

You sound like you were fairly out of it - are you sure it was your hand given the amount of times he shook it....you know the expression "three shakes and it's a ****

So I just passed Crystal nightclub and they have a sign up saying that their "promise" is:

Strictly over 21's
    No cover charges
    Pub Prices
    Mainly 80's/90's music

I don't know about anybody else but this literally sounds like my perfect club. It just seems to be the anti-foundry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Same here was walking home from work last night and saw it, My kinda club as well BUT:D I really think their main night will be a a sat night with that music style, what happens when the students come back in sept? back to the chart muck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I forgot that happened!! All his birthdays came at once!!

Same here was walking home from work last night and saw it, My kinda club as well BUT:D I really think their main night will be a a sat night with that music style, what happens when the students come back in sept? back to the chart muck

I don't go out during the week generally so they can listen to Chart craic all they want on a student night as long as I can Coco Jambo away on a Saturday.......

So I just passed Crystal nightclub and they have a sign up saying that their "promise" is:

Strictly over 21's
    No cover charges
    Pub Prices
    Mainly 80's/90's music

I don't know about anybody else but this literally sounds like my perfect club. It just seems to be the anti-foundry :)

Lads there are over 21 students as well. It's going to be over 21s forever. The 17 and 18 year olds have the foundry and in particular masons and harveys too. If they do a u-turn on age then they are folding aces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

So who's coming to Shorrt's tonight? Taste the Rainbows are on the menu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Elbows22 wrote: »
    So who's coming to Shorrt's tonight? Taste the Rainbows are on the menu :)

I actually made them last week and everyone was very complimentary. Thanks for that!

How much are Shortt's charging for cocktails by the way?

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I actually made them last week and everyone was very complimentary. Thanks for that!

How much are Shortt's charging for cocktails by the way?

Only €5 each :)
    ah **** now everyones gonna be making them lol

You working tonight man? I'm across the road at a christening. I'm def calling in. How much fir a blue shít? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Where's Crystal then?

A.

Not open yet man.

You working tonight man? I'm across the road at a christening. I'm def calling in. How much fir a blue shít? :)

I was coming in and ye were all leaving lol
    Was talking to Thomas for a second outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

That band always finish on killing in the name of (I can't think of their name) and all he'll breaks loose, they are very good band actually. They do a very very good cover of little lion man from Mumford and sons.

Gorilla Radio?
    There was another band that finished with Killing in the name about 2 weeks ago, as soon as that baseline played a bouncer moved to the middle of the dance floor straight away :pac:

They play in masons allot is all I know on a Saturday cause we have seen them twice in the few times we have been. it could be gorilla radio but TBH I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Clubs/Bars that say only over 21s, is that legal ? Seems like discrimination based on age. I dont really care but im interested about it.

I have always thought that too, I remember a guy in his 60's sued a club in Dublin for not letting him in because of his age and won big bucks for it.

You could argue a good case for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Yeah it doesn't seem to be legal but no one's bothered to go up against it.. :P

Advertisement