Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think that if you're willing to risk your own money to open a premises in this day and age you're entitled to serve who you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Oh I agree,

Matter of fact over 21 would be a reason I'd give a place a go but I do wonder about the legal side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Surely it falls under the line of management having the right to refuse entry to anyone?

If that's the case thought ya man in Dublin wouldn't have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Surely it falls under the line of management having the right to refuse entry to anyone?

Yeah I do think it's a grey area, as are a lot of things relating to entry policy.

I remember reading about a guy who was refused entry because he was wearing sandals. He argued that women in almost identical footwear were admitted. Pretty sure that was going down the court route but not sure how it turned out.

That would be a case of discrimation because of sex, just like over 21s only would be discrimination because of age. I'd love to know the legal standing on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It's perfectly legal. No grey area at all. You do need to have a sign at the entrance saying it is over 21s or whatever. I posted the relevant legislation in this very thread. Here.

Refusing someone for being over a certain age is definitely discrimination. If I remember correctly, Scorpions used to refuse people who weren't students or were over the "student age".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

So where is this unopened Crystal place then?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Adyx wrote: »
    It's perfectly legal. No grey area at all. You do need to have a sign at the entrance saying it is over 21s or whatever. I posted the relevant legislation in this very thread. Here.

Refusing someone for being over a certain age is definitely discrimination. If I remember correctly, Scorpions used to refuse people who weren't students or were over the "student age".

Jesus you'd wonder how one is allowed and not the other, wouldn't you? Thanks for pointing out the legislation anyway. Never knew that.

alinton wrote: »
    So where is this unopened Crystal place then?

A.

Couldn't you just read the thread? It's posted about 5-6 times. It's across from Kazbar in the old ten premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Terribly sorry, I did read the thread, but must have missed that. Sorry to have wasted the bandwidth.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

alinton wrote: »
    Terribly sorry, I did read the thread, but must have missed that. Sorry to have wasted the bandwidth.

A.

and storage space :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I see from Harvey's facebook page they are putting out feelers about €30 for open bar again.

But this time they have a link to drinkaware.ie

I feel so much better now

Also the Foundry are beginning to offer all night free entry on certain nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was in Shortt's Sunday, looks the job, will defintely go there again :)

dayshah wrote: »
    I see from Harvey's facebook page they are putting out feelers about €30 for open bar again.

But this time they have a link to drinkaware.ie

I feel so much better now

Also the Foundry are beginning to offer all night free entry on certain nights.

You know, I have a feeling this forum gets a lot of "guests" browsing. I think we're going to have to stop giving them free PR & Marketing Advice.

And Stig...what time were ya in Shortts at? Where there many in?

You know, I have a feeling this forum gets a lot of "guests" browsing. I think we're going to have to stop giving them free PR & Marketing Advice.

And Stig...what time were ya in Shortts at? Where there many in?

Was about half 9/ 10 o clock, there was a few in there including the group of us too.

Ah it didn't get going til much later. In fact it was dead til about half 11. We were Thubthumping at half one...some laugh.

Ah it didn't get going til much later. In fact it was dead til about half 11. We were Thubthumping at half one...some laugh.

I will def grace Shortts with my presence again, it's makes a change of scenery anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

dayshah wrote: »
    It should actually be going ahead this time.The owners other bar mantra had it on friday night and it actually went well so think it will be happening.

I was with Stg Sunday night and I'd say without the 30/40 of us there (we were at a christening) I'd say it would have been very quiet.

I liked the look of the place but I do have a few issues:

The cocktail menu is below average at best. I was hoping for a serious choice of ones but I realise it's early days so might be being developed.

The downstairs area is completely wasted. It's just a wierd setup walking into an empty room.

one of lads rather pissed wanted to do a shot of Chartreuse with me. Now I realise it's a random drink and everyone might not have heard of it or sell it but the barman pulled out this shíte of "in all my years of a barman I've never heard of it" as if we were touched asking for it.

I'd say the place will be grand but Above all they need print up some decent looking menus.

Ended up in Harveys, they had a very decent band in there but the name escapes me.

ziedth wrote: »
    I was with Stg Sunday night and I'd say without the 30/40 of us there (we were at a christening) I'd say it would have been very quiet.

I liked the look of the place but I do have a few issues:

The cocktail menu is below average at best. I was hoping for a serious choice of ones but I realise it's early days so might be being developed.

The downstairs area is completely wasted. It's just a wierd setup walking into an empty room.

one of lads rather pissed wanted to do a shot of Chartreuse with me. Now I realise it's a random drink and everyone might not have heard of it or sell it but the barman pulled out this shíte of "in all my years of a barman I've never heard of it" as if we were touched asking for it.

I'd say the place will be grand but Above all they need print up some decent looking menus.

Ended up in Harveys, they had a very decent band in there but the name escapes me.

I'll reply to this if it's ok (haven't got a reply from Boards about the representative account yet)

Shortts, from this week, will no longer be known as a live music venue.

1. There are enough places in waterford city offering live music. It will be a cocktail and retro bar. i.e. lots of cocktails, reasonably priced drink and music from yesteryear. And that's essentially the size of it. When you were in, (and you passed me on the way out - you sexy looking suited man you), there was a two piece who are excellent, but lost in a bar that size...and realistically no venue can afford the bigger bands every week anyway. I would have loved it you were there later on in the night cause I know you would have loved it.

2. The cocktail menu is gonna be huge....the delay at the moment is that it's being designed by the drinks company. If I was designing it, it would be done now but the drinks company are designing and printing it for free so they're using that. It should be ready this week.

3. The downstairs area....there will more than likely be couches and tables thrown in there. It's a tough area cause there's no bar down there.

After 11, the place came alive and honestly, I was impressed. This is the first place that I have got involved with where I didn't know the owners from Adam. but i'm hopeful!

• Advertisement

Ziedth, you have any idea how i ended up with a Curly Wurly bar in my shirt pocket? found it Monday morning, something tells me it was Shortt's.

Free Curly Wurly bars for all!

STIG83 wrote: »
    ^^You have any idea how i ended up with a Curly Wurly bar in my shirt pocket? found it Monday morning, something tells me it was Shortt's.

Ooh, a Curly Wurly cocktail. That could be good.

I'll reply to this if it's ok (haven't got a reply from Boards about the representative account yet)

Shortts, from this week, will no longer be known as a live music venue.

1. There are enough places in waterford city offering live music. It will be a cocktail and retro bar. i.e. lots of cocktails, reasonably priced drink and music from yesteryear. And that's essentially the size of it. When you were in, (and you passed me on the way out - you sexy looking suited man you), there was a two piece who are excellent, but lost in a bar that size...and realistically no venue can afford the bigger bands every week anyway. I would have loved it you were there later on in the night cause I know you would have loved it.

2. The cocktail menu is gonna be huge....the delay at the moment is that it's being designed by the drinks company. If I was designing it, it would be done now but the drinks company are designing and printing it for free so they're using that. It should be ready this week.

3. The downstairs area....there will more than likely be couches and tables thrown in there. It's a tough area cause there's no bar down there.

After 11, the place came alive and honestly, I was impressed. This is the first place that I have got involved with where I didn't know the owners from Adam. but i'm hopeful!

Hope it does well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

its sounds sickening !

RxQueen wrote: »
    its sounds sickening !

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Free Curly Wurly bars for all!
    I want some taquitos

How about a penguin cocktail. It would be made with brandy, cream, and coco powder for a chocolatey taste. Instead of sipping through a straw you get a penguin bar (or biscuit) cut at 2 diagonal corners and you suck the cocktail through the wrapper. Could be done with curly wurlies too I suppose.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Ziedth, you have any idea how i ended up with a Curly Wurly bar in my shirt pocket? found it Monday morning, something tells me it was Shortt's.

Yu really must have been out of your tree man. I GAVE you one in Shorts cause Mrs Ziedth wanted one and then thought better of it.

The band were actually very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

ziedth wrote: »
    Yu really must have been out of your tree man. I GAVE you one in Shorts cause Mrs Ziedth wanted one and then thought better of it.

The band were actually very good.
    Where did this all happen the jacks?

If you read that without the origional quote...

Advertisement