Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Mooley22 wrote: »
    about 500 in harveys last so not everywhere was quiet.Probably most of the people who had been working on stalls and in bars and hotels would have went out last nigt so kinda surprised everywhere was busy enoughh

Busy enough in Masons too. Probably not 500 though. Fair sick of work now. Roll on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A quick word on Shortts & Crystal Nightclub. Some people were doubting whether or not the club could stay old skool. They were right unfortunately. No matter where you go...people are always going to ask for chart...and it will always creep in. It still works in so far as there is a lot of old skool and the club is still the opposite to the bar (which is turning into an over 25s place at this stage). The club will always be free in...except when they have big bands and acts performing - which is going to be a monthly thing.

(This is the kind of stuff i'd like to post with a representative account but I'm having no joy setting one up) (apologies to mods if this post is troublesome)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Chart stuff?

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT THAT POST IS TROUBLESOME

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Queued for half an hour to get into Harveys then was charged five euro. they never miss an oppurtunity do they. Felt like telling them to feck off but after queing plus the fact that I was alone and my friends were already in there I paid up. only stayed half an hour though as it was so packed I felt like I couldn't breathe. Never again

Chart stuff?

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT THAT POST IS TROUBLESOME

I agree. The less the better...but I suppose to make the DJ's job a bit easier they're told they can play it if asked.

• Advertisement

I agree. The less the better...but I suppose to make the DJ's job a bit easier they're told they can play it if asked.
    Spose it makes sense if someone requests it. It'd promote better customer service if they played the requests rather than saying "old stuff only".

Quick story from my 21st, we had a DJ down from Belfast. Uncle's mate and loved the same music as me, old stuff basically.He was instructed to play classic rock, 80's music and only go as far as 1996 if he had to. He was absolutely delighted. He was trying to find The Specials, and the following occured:
    Cousin: "Will you play Rhianna?"
    DJ: "Don't have it."
    Cousin's friend: "Do you have any Beyonce?"
    DJ: "Uh nope."
    Cousin: "Well what DO you have!?"
    DJ: "Anything thats not shit."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Queued for half an hour to get into Harveys then was charged five euro. they never miss an oppurtunity do they. Felt like telling them to feck off but after queing plus the fact that I was alone and my friends were already in there I paid up. only stayed half an hour though as it was so packed I felt like I couldn't breathe. Never again

Id go home before I'd queue for half an hour for that dump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

if it was saturday the reason it was 5 euro was because you had the knights of leon,the christy moore tribute and dj ahmed.not a bad price for 3 good acts if you ask me.if it was sunday it was 5 euro in and all drinks 2 euro.which isnt a bad deal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I called in to The Front Lounge on Saturday night for a quick pint on the way to see Zoo 2. First time in there, and it looked well. The lad behind the bar booked the fight while we where there. We watched Zoo 2 for a while before heading back down around 9:30. At this stage, employees of the Woodman were frantically putting up A4 printouts advertising the fight (apparently the Kazbar showed it too). They should all have been advertising this earlier IMO.

Anyway, we got a great seat in front of the big screen in The Front Lounge, which was just as well, as it got very packed in there. Will definitely be calling back in there.

After the fight, we moved up to Shortts for one. We were greeted at the door by young girls advising us not to go in as 'the music is sh*t'. The Communards were playing. Not necessarily a bad thing for someone who remembers the 80s vividly :o My first port of call was the toilets. Both cubicles were in use, so I waited. I felt the toilets were untouched since the Ulysses days and badly in need of refurbishment (a feeling I eventually got about the whole place). After about five minutes of listening to what I thought was some guy on his phone, the cubicle door opened and FOUR guys walked out. Never seen that before. When I went back out into the bar, it was too packed to be even worth the effort, so I walked back out. Not sure I'll ever go back in there to be honest. Nothing about the place was impressive or new.

Queued for Harveys for only a couple of minutes and paid my fiver in. Horrified that there was a band on, and even more horrified that it was a KOL tribute band (though they were a very good tribute act - vocalist had it to a tee). It was mobbed in there, but not uncomfortable at any stage. The one thing that wrecked my head in there was the DJ. He was a black guy, who I'd never seen before, and he was absolutely rubbish. Was he DJ Ahmed? For the sake of Music Fest, I hope not. All he did was mix songs EVERY MINUTE. When I say mix, I mean a quick mix without regard for beat matching. It was so annoying to have a song come on and then be over again so quickly. I had to leave the place as it was doing me head in. I pray this guy is not a regular DJ. I was there a few weeks ago, and another DJ did things properly.

Had to walk home after all that as there was no hope of a taxi. Going out in town on big occasions such as this seem to be a big let-down. For me, The Front Lounge wins purely because it was 'normal'. They didn't have to try anything special.

gscully wrote: »
    I called in to The Front Lounge on Saturday night for a quick pint on the way to see Zoo 2. First time in there, and it looked well. The lad behind the bar booked the fight while we where there. We watched Zoo 2 for a while before heading back down around 9:30. At this stage, employees of the Woodman were frantically putting up A4 printouts advertising the fight (apparently the Kazbar showed it too). They should all have been advertising this earlier IMO.

Anyway, we got a great seat in front of the big screen in The Front Lounge, which was just as well, as it got very packed in there. Will definitely be calling back in there.

After the fight, we moved up to Shortts for one. We were greeted at the door by young girls advising us not to go in as 'the music is sh*t'. The Communards were playing. Not necessarily a bad thing for someone who remembers the 80s vividly :o My first port of call was the toilets. Both cubicles were in use, so I waited. I felt the toilets were untouched since the Ulysses days and badly in need of refurbishment (a feeling I eventually got about the whole place). After about five minutes of listening to what I thought was some guy on his phone, the cubicle door opened and FOUR guys walked out. Never seen that before. When I went back out into the bar, it was too packed to be even worth the effort, so I walked back out. Not sure I'll ever go back in there to be honest. Nothing about the place was impressive or new.

Queued for Harveys for only a couple of minutes and paid my fiver in. Horrified that there was a band on, and even more horrified that it was a KOL tribute band (though they were a very good tribute act - vocalist had it to a tee). It was mobbed in there, but not uncomfortable at any stage. The one thing that wrecked my head in there was the DJ. He was a black guy, who I'd never seen before, and he was absolutely rubbish. Was he DJ Ahmed? For the sake of Music Fest, I hope not. All he did was mix songs EVERY MINUTE. When I say mix, I mean a quick mix without regard for beat matching. It was so annoying to have a song come on and then be over again so quickly. I had to leave the place as it was doing me head in. I pray this guy is not a regular DJ. I was there a few weeks ago, and another DJ did things properly.

Had to walk home after all that as there was no hope of a taxi. Going out in town on big occasions such as this seem to be a big let-down. For me, The Front Lounge wins purely because it was 'normal'. They didn't have to try anything special.

First off, if I walked into a bar and some "young girls" told us the music is "sh*t", I'd be elated. Cause it would mean there's a chance I wouldn't have to listen to Rhianna. It's an over 21s bar playing classics...smiths, james, blur, 80s stuff, some 90s....not for "young girls". The toilets that you speak of in shortts are the exact same as ulysses alright...but they're not the main toilets for the bar..just spares really. The ones at the other end of the bar are really nice.

The Front Lounge wouldn't have suited those "young girls" either....it's a proper bar for people who like a quiet, comfortable bar.

Harveys seemed to pack in a lot of entertainment into that saturday night that they really didn't need to. A rookie mistake methinks.

Anyway, with regard to shortts...I'm delighted with the crowd that are coming in....mostly over 25s and the great thing about the music is that it ensures that "young girls and boys" stay the fcuk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

First off, if I walked into a bar and some "young girls" told us the music is "sh*t", I'd be elated. Cause it would mean there's a chance I wouldn't have to listen to Rhianna. It's an over 21s bar playing classics...smiths, james, blur, 80s stuff, some 90s....not for "young girls". The toilets that you speak of in shortts are the exact same as ulysses alright...but they're not the main toilets for the bar..just spares really. The ones at the other end of the bar are really nice.

The Front Lounge wouldn't have suited those "young girls" either....it's a proper bar for people who like a quiet, comfortable bar.

Harveys seemed to pack in a lot of entertainment into that saturday night that they really didn't need to. A rookie mistake methinks.

Anyway, with regard to shortts...I'm delighted with the crowd that are coming in....mostly over 25s and the great thing about the music is that it ensures that "young girls and boys" stay the fcuk away.

I'm 40 and like all kinds of music... I actually really like Rihanna visually and musically, so I don't mind her being played...but if a DJ plays any Beyonce sh*te, I'm done :p

Didn't know about the other toilets in there, but it was too packed to explore. A lot of the bars in town fell into the trap of doing what everyone else was doing. No imagination some of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Mooley22 wrote: »
    if it was saturday the reason it was 5 euro was because you had the knights of leon,the christy moore tribute and dj ahmed.not a bad price for 3 good acts if you ask me.if it was sunday it was 5 euro in and all drinks 2 euro.which isnt a bad deal either.
    I didn't know anything about the tribute acts.....there was only a DJ playing that I knew of

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Ye christy moore tribute was on first then the knights of leon went on about 10 i tink.so its wasnt actually a bad deal for 5euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's not bad value TBF BUT something tells me the €5 is testing the waters a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if that became the regular entry price.

As a side note, am I the only one who doesn't mind a certain amount of chart music? Like when I started going out in the early naughties and it was all dance music with only really a beat and a few notes like Gigi D'Agostino and similar muck. I'll happily take a bit of snoop dog's sweat over that shíte.

ziedth wrote: »
    Like when I started going out in the early naughties and it was all dance music with only really a beat and a few notes like Gigi D'Agostino and similar muck.
    Rhythm is a dancer, it's a source companion, you can feel it everywheeeeere!!!!
    But lift your handsome voices, free your mind and join us.
    YOU CAN FEEL IT IN THE AAAIIIIRRRRR

Edit: Post backfired, song is now stuck in my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

AttentionWhore-poster.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AttentionWhore-poster.jpg

Mod Note

2870557250_fbdf819654.jpg

Banned - Troll be gone.

It's not bad value TBF BUT something tells me the €5 is testing the waters a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if that became the regular entry price.

As a side note, am I the only one who doesn't mind a certain amount of chart music? Like when I started going out in the early naughties and it was all dance music with only really a beat and a few notes like Gigi D'Agostino and similar muck. I'll happily take a bit of snoop dog's sweat over that shíte.

I just think that there's enough of it in masons, harveys, Kazbar etc. A place playing only 70s, 80s, 90s and even some 00s (cause remember that is last decade) makes a refreshing change. It won't be for everyone - those young girls are a case in point. I just happen to think that the charts is full of dirt that irritates the senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just think that there's enough of it in masons, harveys, Kazbar etc. A place playing only 70s, 80s, 90s and even some 00s (cause remember that is last decade) makes a refreshing change. It won't be for everyone - those young girls are a case in point. I just happen to think that the charts is full of dirt that irritates the senses.

Do you think there is a market for it? i'd love there to be a place that only played that kind of stuff but i'm not sure does joe public agree.

it's so hard to guage town at the moment cause it'll be mental say for the tall ships and dead then till Sproai and mental again. I'd say com september we'll see how really everyone is stacking up in town.

Do you think there is a market for it? i'd love there to be a place that only played that kind of stuff but i'm not sure does joe public agree.

it's so hard to guage town at the moment cause it'll be mental say for the tall ships and dead then till Sproai and mental again. I'd say com september we'll see how really everyone is stacking up in town.

The bar has full every weekend so far...so I think people are enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Well it worked in Muldoons bar for 11 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

so is escape still sh1te?

Think every place is bracing themselves for a quiet weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

All those signs around the outside of the three ships look terrible with think its a pint and a tap. ATBB id like to hear your opinion as your our resident pub know-it-all haha

I presume they were just up for the festival? Do they really look that bad? Any pics?

Popped into Crystal/Shortt's last night, and coincidentally ended up belting out 'rhythm is a dancer'. Great laugh in there.

Www.Facebook.com/dannosniteclub. - some mad reading here!

{I'm not affiliated with above link or premises} just some very interesting reading about a struggling club elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

{I'm not affiliated with above link or premises} just some very interesting reading about a struggling club elsewhere...

Interesting that the exact same thing that was said about the door charge for The Foundry is being said to them. Why pay you a fiver when the late bar/nightclub down the road is free?

I once visited Danno's. The bouncers were rude, the music was shit and it was full of 15 and 16 year olds. Oh, and the staff didn't really mind that those 15 and 16 year olds were engaged in antics more at home up against the wall outside a teenage disco.

I don't have any great want to go back.

• Advertisement

Looks painful trying to talk to 17 year olds though. The whole page sums up how I fe about the nightlife in Waterford. Different people want different things and it's near impossible to please everyone.

Advertisement