Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

STIG83 wrote: »
    Good night in Shortts last night, was annoyed when my pint was robbed in there though, what kind of assholes are out there to do that?
    Won't stop me going back though :)

Next time that happens, piss in your pint glass, leave it in same spot and hey presto, karma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Was walking through red square yesterday on my way to blackfriars, and oh my god it was like a quiet saturday in town. Literally only a handful of people there. Nice crowd down in blackfriars though.
    What was town like last night, down the clubs and that? Murphys was jam packed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

My friends and I ended up in Crystals and Shortts on Saturday night seemed to be a good atmosphere up there. It's my second time going there and both times I was greeted by a heatwave coming in the door I don't think it was just me either as looking around there were a lot of red, sweaty heads. :D Maybe they could do with turning the air con down a notch or two?! I wouldn't like to re-live the Preachers days with condensation dripping from the ceilings :eek: Other then that Soul Reason were brill and the drinks promotions are good also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

My friends and I ended up in Crystals and Shortts on Saturday night seemed to be a good atmosphere up there. It's my second time going there and both times I was greeted by a heatwave coming in the door I don't think it was just me either as looking around there were a lot of red, sweaty heads. :D Maybe they could do with turning the air con down a notch or two?! I wouldn't like to re-live the Preachers days with condensation dripping from the ceilings :eek: Other then that Soul Reason were brill and the drinks promotions are good also!

Actually it was very hot in there last night i thought, was sweating my balls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

STIG83 wrote: »
    Actually it was very hot in there last night i thought, was sweating my balls off.

Yeah I thought it wasn't just us we ended up standing near the back and spent a good bit of time heading to the smoking area for a bit of "fresh air". I wouldn't like to imagine what it would be like at full capacity.

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought it wasn't just us we ended up standing near the back and spent a good bit of time heading to the smoking area for a bit of "fresh air". I wouldn't like to imagine what it would be like at full capacity.

I guess its a ploy to get people to drink more and more mula for the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

This time last year I wouldn't have dreamed of going anywhere but the Forum on Spraoi Sunday. They're the nights the Forum always used to thrive on and they were easily some of the best nights I've ever had in the city. But they've tried to rip us off two too many times. I'd say I've gone from going to the place every 2nd weekend to maybe twice so far this year...and one of those times I left early cause it was dead.

I hope they've see the light eventually but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Daysha wrote: »
    This time last year I wouldn't have dreamed of going anywhere but the Forum on Spraoi Sunday. They're the nights the Forum always used to thrive on and they were easily some of the best nights I've ever had in the city. But they've tried to rip us off two too many times. I'd say I've gone from going to the place every 2nd weekend to maybe twice so far this year...and one of those times I left early cause it was dead.

Yeah we were in Caulfield's last night watching Big Paulie Kool. Free in and pints for €3.50 so you can't really go wrong. About 23:15, the crowd I was with decided it had gotten too hot and it s home time. Friends of mine were in The Forum and I could have gone down the road to meet them but could not justify paying €15 so went home instead.

Was on Crystals Facebook page, there a picture of their DJ, could anyone tell me did their DJ used to work in Dungarvan before? in Davitts and the Buttery Bar beside Lawlors?
    Cos the guy on the picture looks very like the DJ that was in Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Youre right stig...that's Noelie...he did one of the early nights in the club. He only did the one night. (not a reflection of his abilities..just the way it went)

• Advertisement

Youre right stig...that's Noelie...he did one of the early nights in the club. He only did the one night. (not a reflection of his abilities..just the way it went)

Thats a good one!! will he doing anymore Djin in Shortts or Crystal?

Might have him in Shortts this Saturday actually

He's a great DJ, me and Ziedth used to hound him when we were out in Dungarvan many years ago, last time we were out there was 3 years ago and in Davitts and Noel saw us and came over, a really nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

The Kazbar was mental last night. Couldn't even get in to see the Jam Tarts unfortunately. Went to Shortts and Crystal again after having a good time there on Friday - great night.

When Maniac 2000 came on in Shortts it was hopping!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

damn everybody was in shortts last night and I never went. it's been a long weekend though and it's taken it's toll so I took it easy and had an early night. Hope it was a good one, will definitely make it in the next time your all out ;)

Have to laugh at the foundry sometimes. They didnt want to use the words "leaving cert"...so aug 17th will be the "pre freshers results party".
    Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I thought you were joking, but no I checked it.

Lets see how long this stays up.

Untitled_108.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Thats a great comment on the facebook pic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Untitled_108.png

I demand you black out my picture :p

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    I demand you black out my picture :p
    See if I did that now everyone would know which one you were mwahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Daysha wrote: »

It was the only tradition I kept up this year. Bit the bullet and went into the forum on sunday. Doors were open at 11. I went in around 11.40ish, and there was such a small crowd that they didn't open up the doors from the bar onto the dancefloor til 11.45!!
    Went down to the smoking area later on to see if downstairs was open, to explain the small crowd upstairs...it wasn't! Talking to a bouncer, and he said that they were considering not opening downstairs at all!
    By abour 1 there was a bit of a crowd, and downstairs was opened. As far as I know, Solar Taxi were on down there. Went down for a look at there was feck all there.

I used to be a regular at Shakedown/Traffic, but haven't gone it ages. It's one of the only places in town that still charges you to go in, and even at that the drink is not by any means cheap. They need to do something fast or they're going to continue having nights with no punters!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

It was the only tradition I kept up this year. Bit the bullet and went into the forum on sunday. Doors were open at 11. I went in around 11.40ish, and there was such a small crowd that they didn't open up the doors from the bar onto the dancefloor til 11.45!!
    Went down to the smoking area later on to see if downstairs was open, to explain the small crowd upstairs...it wasn't! Talking to a bouncer, and he said that they were considering not opening downstairs at all!
    By abour 1 there was a bit of a crowd, and downstairs was opened. As far as I know, Solar Taxi were on down there. Went down for a look at there was feck all there.

I used to be a regular at Shakedown/Traffic, but haven't gone it ages. It's one of the only places in town that still charges you to go in, and even at that the drink is not by any means cheap. They need to do something fast or they're going to continue having nights with no punters!

Admittedly the crowd were later getting to The Forum for the Festival Club this year, but by the end on Sunday night it was just as busy as previous years and Torann got the place rockin as usual. At Traffik we feel a €5 door charge is justified as we are putting on bands each week for which there is at least a €10 cover charge elsewhere around the country, and in the case of ASIWYFA (who pulled 500 here recently) their Dublin gig was €17.50. We recognise it's a tough time this summer and are running Traffik for FREE (B4 midnight) over the next 3 weeks. We have lots of good entertainment lined up for Sept onwards and we feel that a €5 door charge will be seen as good value for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ohemgeez

went down to basement bar in revolution sunday night for andy riley and it was rockin! only thing is if your not into that style of music you will probably hate it! the price of entry is often a bit steep but if a student like me can afford it others can too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Admittedly the crowd were later getting to The Forum for the Festival Club this year, but by the end on Sunday night it was just as busy as previous years and Torann got the place rockin as usual. At Traffik we feel a €5 door charge is justified as we are putting on bands each week for which there is at least a €10 cover charge elsewhere around the country, and in the case of ASIWYFA (who pulled 500 here recently) their Dublin gig was €17.50. We recognise it's a tough time this summer and are running Traffik for FREE (B4 midnight) over the next 3 weeks. We have lots of good entertainment lined up for Sept onwards and we feel that a €5 door charge will be seen as good value for this.

I have found that the forum goes through periods of being packed to being empty at the moment it seems stake to me, like why bother charging the tenner after 12 on a normal Saturday night when you clearly aren't getting the crowds anyway it probably puts people off who decide to head out last minute rather go to harveys and pay 2 quid

We've had this discussion many times....people are crying out for entertainment....when venues put on the shows the people don't support them, or bitch about the door charge (come on..if you're playing 1k plus for a big act or band..you HAVE to have a door charge)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I have found that the forum goes through periods of being packed to being empty at the moment it seems stake to me, like why bother charging the tenner after 12 on a normal Saturday night when you clearly aren't getting the crowds anyway it probably puts people off who decide to head out last minute rather go to harveys and pay 2 quid
    Also, a tenner after 12, is a tenner after the band has finished.

mick electric, do you work in the forum, or with traffik? wouldn't it make sense to charge a tenner in to see the band, and free after 12, when people only have a couple hours in there anyway?

If the forum charged €5 in for a band and left it as €5 all night they'd get more people. This €10 after 12 just puts off people who are coming out of the pub late, it just doesnt facilitate people who would want to wander in from a nearby pub. Free in before 12 for a few weeks wont change anything if you still have to pay full price after 12.

The main reasons I find myself not going to the forum anymore are:
    • Rushing up from Grimes/Geoffs to make it in the door before 12.
    • Having to pay €10 in if it goes past 12.
    • You have to plan to go up to the forum, taking in the 10 minute walk from the middle of town. You cant just wander into it from the pub like you can with everywhere else.
    • If you're in there, and theres nobody there by 12, the chances of a crowd showing up are slim and none.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

If the forum charged €5 in for a band and left it as €5 all night they'd get more people. This €10 after 12 just puts off people who are coming out of the pub late, it just doesnt facilitate people who would want to wander in from a nearby pub. Free in before 12 for a few weeks wont change anything if you still have to pay full price after 12.

The main reasons I find myself not going to the forum anymore are:
    • Rushing up from Grimes/Geoffs to make it in the door before 12.
    • Having to pay €10 in if it goes past 12.
    • You have to plan to go up to the forum, taking in the 10 minute walk from the middle of town. You cant just wander into it from the pub like you can with everywhere else.
    • If you're in there, and theres nobody there by 12, the chances of a crowd showing up are slim and none.

Agree 100% with you it's a bit hit and miss unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Untitled_108.png

Did I miss something, or have they deleted that comment?

What a bunch of humourless dry-arses.

Advertisement