Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Oh I think we all hav a good idea whose he implied that comment at zeidth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Poor Mecco :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    I hope your not suggesting that I have any bias Sully? I think it's fairly well known that I'm not involved with any venue in town. What I posted above is my genuine opinion.

I never implied any one person or group. In general, I personally wouldn't take to much notice and haven't for a long time of what people say here. A lot of it is biased. There is an anti-foundry vibe within also.

That's not to say that there are genuine reviews within. But the poster should view them all, and not just go on the reviews alone which is what I was saying
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Oh I think we all hav a good idea whose he implied that comment at zeidth

Who? There are loads of people posting in this thread recommending places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

MOD FIGHT!

In fairness if someone is down for one or even two nights he's not going to have time to look at each of the what? 10 late bars/nightclubs in town.

If someone looks for advice and a poster takes the time out and makes the effort to try and help (doesn't have to be me) I'm not sure is dismissing such advice the best way to go.

Saying to try somewhere first is of
    course very good advice as you'll get the vibe of a spot pretty quickly. however I don't think making a comment on other peoples suggestions is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Poor Mecco :)

Yeah, my numerous posts in this thread show a huge bias :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

MOD FIGHT!
    Yeah, could be like Top Trumps :D

Sully wins on posts and join date, ziedth wins on locations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In fairness if someone is down for one or even two nights he's not going to have time to look at each of the what? 10 late bars/nightclubs in town.

If someone looks for advice and a poster takes the time out and makes the effort to try and help (doesn't have to be me) I'm not sure is dismissing such advice the best way to go.

Saying to try somewhere first is of
    course very good advice as you'll get the vibe of a spot pretty quickly. however I don't think making a comment on other peoples suggestions is needed.

So a poster can't way in and go against the odds? This thread is well known to be biased towards other pubs etc. and negative towards the foundry. I'm not dismissing any review, im just letting him know that in my opinion, which im entitled to, he should check it all out and not be swayed and take for gospel whats said here. I'm in my mid 20s and I know people older than me and my own age group who like the foundry.

Jesus lads, your all getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Each to their own on opinions. Nothing personal, nobody targeted. Relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    So a poster can't way in and go against the odds? This thread is well known to be biased towards other pubs etc. and negative towards the foundry. I'm not dismissing any review, im just letting him know that in my opinion, which im entitled to, he should check it all out and not be swayed and take for gospel whats said here. I'm in my mid 20s and I know people older than me and my own age group who like the foundry.

Jesus lads, your all getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Each to their own on opinions. Nothing personal, nobody targeted. Relax!

The problem is with your phrasing Sully. You're using the word biased. Tat implies that someone has a bias towards one or more places and a bias against one or more others, whein fact, it's just people's personal preference based upon experiencing the various venues. I think Ziedth and Mecco were well within their rights to not recommend The Foundry to people in their mid- to late-twenties. They backed it up with their reasoning which is that they would be older than most of the crowd there.

We have people who work for or with Shortt's, Harvey's and Mason's here but none of them posted recommending those places so saying that there are biased posts in reply to new bee is incorrect.

And I also don't think it's fair to label the forum as being anti-The Foundry as that implies that it's just a negative bias without any reasoning, when that's not true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd like to point out that everything we predicted about The Foundry ended up happening.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    The problem is with your phrasing Sully. You're using the word biased. Tat implies that someone has a bias towards one or more places and a bias against one or more others, whein fact, it's just people's personal preference based upon experiencing the various venues. I think Ziedth and Mecco were well within their rights to not recommend The Foundry to people in their mid- to late-twenties. They backed it up with their reasoning which is that they would be older than most of the crowd there.

We have people who work for or with Shortt's, Harvey's and Mason's here but none of them posted recommending those places so saying that there are biased posts in reply to new bee is incorrect.

And I also don't think it's fair to label the forum as being anti-The Foundry as that implies that it's just a negative bias without any reasoning, when that's not true at all.

Don't see any issue with how its phrased. Even TripAdvisor is a tainted review site, as you get people who are biased posting reviews on it. A good chunk of this thread is biased, not all as I said, but a good bit of it. So I am perfectly right to advise someone not to take what reviews that are posted here for gospel. A lot of this thread is one big bitchfest and was knocking the Foundry before it even opened. We had people come on and libel some of the businesses for christ sake.

If I was aiming my comment about someone or some group in particular reviews, id have said it. We have people working for more pubs & clubs than you listed who have posted here. Not all post biased comments, not all non-club/pub workers who post here are biased. I never said everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Go to Harveys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Don't see any issue with how its phrased. Even TripAdvisor is a tainted review site, as you get people who are biased posting reviews on it. A good chunk of this thread is biased, not all as I said, but a good bit of it. So I am perfectly right to advise someone not to take what reviews that are posted here for gospel. A lot of this thread is one big bitchfest and was knocking the Foundry before it even opened. We had people come on and libel some of the businesses for christ sake.

If I was aiming my comment about someone or some group in particular reviews, id have said it. We have people working for more pubs & clubs than you listed who have posted here. Not all post biased comments, not all non-club/pub workers who post here are biased. I never said everybody.

Between the request and your post the only people who posted "against" The Foundry were Ziedth and Mecco, which is why your post seemed like it was directed at them.

I think most people on here, even those who work for the places mentioned, give an even and honest appraisal of the nightlife in Waterford. They praise places for doing good things and criticise them for doing bad things.

And I don't what you mean by "not all non-club/pub workers are biased". That implies that some are. How could they possibly be biased if they don't have any connection to a place?

Between the request and your post the only people who posted "against" The Foundry were Ziedth and Mecco, which is why your post seemed like it was directed at them.

I never quoted them. I wasn't on about their reviews alone. I was saying in general about the whole thread. I even said that. Iv said the same about TripAdvisor to people. MusicMan even agreed with what I said, you cant take this thread for Gospel and while some people have an opinion that the Foundry isn't a great place, a lot of others disagree so all I was suggesting was that he try it out and decided himself! :)

Expect people to come in and post different reviews and opinions against the majority. Some people don't like Shorts/Crystal, some love it. Some people hate Geoffs, some people love it. Some people are getting pissed because I was being helpful to someone saying they should check out these places anyway, regardless of reviews here. Its not a big deal.
    And I don't what you mean by "not all non-club/pub workers are biased". That implies that some are. How could they possibly be biased if they don't have any connection to a place?

Sorry. Some people who post here and work in a pub/club don't put up biased reviews, they don't knock every place bar their own. Some have (not accusing anybody specifically or have any one person in mind Aquos!!) and that's to be expected.

I repeat, I am not targeting anybody and I am saying in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Thanks guys! We went to kazbar i think and revolution?! Great night, looking forward to tonight now!

I think Harveys is the funnest place I've ever been! Great music, so much fun! We also went back to Revolution, the shots there are AMAZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

newbee22 wrote: »
    I think Harveys is the funnest place I've ever been! Great music, so much fun! We also went back to Revolution, the shots there are AMAZING!

was in harvey's myself last night, had great craic as well. had a quick chat with fair city's own Barry O Hanlon too. ha

Go away, wish I'd spotted the celebs! Will defo be returning to Waterford!

newbee22 wrote: »
    Go away, wish I'd spotted the celebs! Will defo be returning to Waterford!

wouldnt really call someone on fair city a celeb, no offence to the man haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

i still havent been in shortts yet must go in there see what the craic is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

We gave the Forum one more go last night (I know, I know) and lasted it till about 12.45am before heading back to town. It was definitely busier than my last few nights there but that's not saying much, and it's still no where near the buzz of 12-18 months ago.

Like I said I appreciate their efforts of getting live bands in all the time but can they not see by now that Waterford isn't a live-band city? The crowd playing last night were alright but nothing special, but the quality of bands they get in isn't the problem. It'd be interesting if they ditched live bands for a month, kept the free in before 12, relied solely on decent DJ's and then compared the kind of crowd they'd get in. But for now I'm done with the place for good unless things change.

FWIW we went to Crystal afterwards and had an absolutely brilliant time. Good crowd and even better cocktails. We shall be back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Daysha wrote: »
    Like I said I appreciate their efforts of getting live bands in all the time but can they not see by now that Waterford isn't a live-band city?

Surely the problem for them is that lots of places are putting on live bands with free entry. In lots of ways places more central are imitating what the forum was doing for years, and taking away customers that used to go there.

dayshah wrote: »
    Surely the problem for them is that lots of places are putting on live bands with free entry. In lots of ways places more central are imitating what the forum was doing for years, and taking away customers that used to go there.

I agree, like with masons, free entry and live band every night of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Big difference between a band playing in a pub with a couple of speakers on stands, and doing their own sound, to a band playing with a big stage, lights, big sound rig, and house engineer doing the sound.

I went to Shortts myself Saturday night but had a drink upstairs in Crystal to get a feel for the place. I liked it. paid like €14 for two Jager bombs which seems good for a nightclub and they sell pear Kopperberg so I was over the moon.

I was in Crystal Saturday night too, only remembered when I found a receipt in my purse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

I went to Shortts myself Saturday night but had a drink upstairs in Crystal to get a feel for the place. I liked it. paid like €14 for two Jager bombs which seems good for a nightclub and they sell pear Kopperberg so I was over the moon.

I was serving ye in Shortts - I had Izy blowing the head off me lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Was also in crystal on Saturday night...really had a good night. Why have they gone from 80s 90s music to current stuff though?? Really like the older music better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Jaysus! Will I need to sign in with my boards username when I go to Crystal? It sounds like a boardsie exclusive place!! :D

• Advertisement

We were only blow ins from Cork! Oh god I probably terrified all of ye with my dancing!

Advertisement