Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Elbows22 wrote: »
    I was serving ye in Shortts - I had Izy blowing the head off me lol :)

Izy was messy that night!! Was good craic in there, hope it really does well there, it my ideal pub and club.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am so out of touch with the places in town these days :rolleyes: I must get home more often.

Does Louis still do the "DJing" in the Forum???

Newbee glad to see some outsiders come to town and enjoy themselves....tho we don't want an invasion from Cork :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

kfallon wrote: »
    I am so out of touch with the places in town these days :rolleyes: I must get home more often.

Does Louis still do the "DJing" in the Forum???

Newbee glad to see some outsiders come to town and enjoy themselves....tho we don't want an invasion from Cork :p
    Don't think so. AFAIK, both himself and Tommy Boi are gone from Traffik. Having said that, Louis was doing the DJing between acts during the Sunday night of Spraoi.

Don't think so. AFAIK, both himself and Tommy Boi are gone from Traffik. Having said that, Louis was doing the DJing between acts during the Sunday night of Spraoi.

Where's Traffik :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

kfallon wrote: »
    Where's Traffik :confused:
    Traffik is the name of the club in the Forum. What used to be Shakedown. Been called that for yonks!!

• Advertisement

Traffik is the name of the club in the Forum. What used to be Shakedown. Been called that for yonks!!

Ah right, I just always called it The Forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Bit overwhelmed by all the pages on this thread :pac: so i'll ask what has probably been asked a billion times already - where would be good on a friday night? (this friday as it happens!) For a group in their mid twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

araic88 wrote: »
    Bit overwhelmed by all the pages on this thread :pac: so i'll ask what has probably been asked a billion times already - where would be good on a friday night? (this friday as it happens!) For a group in their mid twenties.

Cant blame you for not reading through all that, as riveting as it is :) But the previous two/three pages should sort you out..You'll get the recommendations that were given and people saying to not believe the recommendations!!!:pac:....oh and the opinion of a cork blow-in thrown in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

araic88 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73776103&postcount=2183

I'll be very lazy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

is escape still open , dont hear anyone ever saying anything about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was gonna ask that meself, havent heard about it from anyone in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

RxQueen wrote: »

no escape is closed now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Was gonna ask that meself, havent heard about it from anyone in months.

From their website they seem to be keeping it for private parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Passed Escape Saturday night, asked the bouncers if there was anything going on inside, he said that there was a hip-hop night on and that there was about ten at the most inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

Not been out in waterford in years but must venture out soon to look for bands to play our wedding next year. Can anyone give me info on where bands play in waterford and any suggestions of good bands in the area that might be playing.

Went to Crystal. They played Rhianna, then some rapper, then that "sexy chick" song. All ****e.

Went downstairs to Shortts. They played Baggy Trousers, Town Called Malice and This Charming Man. And gave a free drink to anyone who mentioned them on twitter.

I can understand wanting to appeal to all groups and peoples personal tastes, but how anyone can want to listen to two hours of that chart ****e instead of decent music in Shortts is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Went to Crystal. They played Rhianna, then some rapper, then that "sexy chick" song. All ****e.

Went downstairs to Shortts. They played Baggy Trousers, Town Called Malice and This Charming Man. And gave a free drink to anyone who mentioned them on twitter.

I can understand wanting to appeal to all groups and peoples personal tastes, but how anyone can want to listen to two hours of that chart ****e instead of decent music in Shortts is beyond me.

when those songs came out i bet you there were people calling that "chart sh**e" aswell I dont like it either but sometimes ya gotta just give in and go with da flow, nothin wrong with it and no point in fighten it.

Looks like Harveys are diving in headfirst to get the students in. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=109137799189349
    We are delighted to announce that our student nights will be Mondays/Wednesdays/Thursdays.

Entry each night will be €2 and ALL DRINKS will be €2

We can confirm that our new resident Dj will be Stephen Power who this year has played at Oxegen/Waterford Music fest....has supported Beardyman (worlds no.1 Beatboxer) and will be one of the support Dj's for CALVIN HARRIS on his next Irish date!!!

We will have more info soon about upcoming events and competitions!!!

Welcome to your No.1 Student Venue!!!

What is it with the guys they get to run these facebook pages? They must turned on by ALL CAPS and !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Looks like Harveys are diving in headfirst to get the students in. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=109137799189349

What is it with the guys they get to run these facebook pages? They must turned on by ALL CAPS and !!!!!!!!

Hid them on Facebook a long time ago tbh.

They'll do what they always do with a new offer. They'll run it for a few weeks and get the crowds in before quietly raising the prices for each night and hope nobody notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

not quite Waterford night-life related but as far as I can see there are 3 Waterford based acts performing at the Electric Picnic this year - Katie Kim, Torann and miXile.

I'll admit to minor self promo as miXile :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Not been out in waterford in years but must venture out soon to look for bands to play our wedding next year. Can anyone give me info on where bands play in waterford and any suggestions of good bands in the area that might be playing.

we had Fuse play for ours a few weeks ago and they were brilliant.

There Facebook page is updated regularily with where they are playing etc

They play revolution a good bit

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FuseWaterford

Highly Recommend them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

old gregg wrote: »
    not quite Waterford night-life related but as far as I can see there are 3 Waterford based acts performing at the Electric Picnic this year - Katie Kim, Torann and miXile.

I'll admit to minor self promo as miXile :p
    Don't forget O Emperor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

AdMMM wrote: »
    Don't forget O Emperor :)

by jingo you're right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Shortts have drafted in two local lads to do their student promotions for them. (you may have seen their "wicked" Pr material on facebook".)

I left them last week due to somewhat of a difference of opinion about how the place should be run. I wish them all the best though cause they're good people and it would be great to see the place do well.

Shortts have drafted in two local lads to do their student promotions for them. (you may have seen their "wicked" Pr material on facebook".)

I left them last week due to somewhat of a difference of opinion about how the place should be run. I wish them all the best though cause they're good people and it would be great to see the place do well.
    That news reeks of Chart hits and appealing to a wider audience.

Also, that PR material looks like it was done in a colouring book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I probably shouldn't comment cause I know they all read boards (Hi guys :))...but yes, I was asked to play just chart music on Friday night.

I firmly believe that Shortts had potential as a Muldoons replacement but the management coudn't understand why Harveys etc were getting more crowds than them. I believe the main reasons were 1. harveys has been in town a lot longer. And 2. when people pass shortts they just see an empty void in there and they needed to put the bar back downstairs.

They're doing that now so hopefully it will see some improvements.

The new PR & Marketing lads will have a tough job with the students with harveys and masons as competition but they have a lot of ideas and if they pull them off...who knows! Admittedly I wasn't very pro-active with my PR & Marketing style for this venue.
    "Keep building on the muldoons theme...look after your customers and they'll look after you"...and for the students....."do nothing...they don't deserve your efforts"

you can see why they went elsewhere lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm genuinely gutted if they go down the Harvey's route. The last few times I was in shortts I had a ball. The layout of Shortts is ts biggest problem. Even when it was Ulessyies(i couldn't be added looking up the spelling :)) you'd never know what you were walking into from the downstairs bar. It could be jammed and ****e upstairs or visa versa.

I thought shortts/crystal had real potential but it's hard to argue that the Lady GaGa listeners of this world pay the bills for clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I probably shouldn't comment cause I know they all read boards (Hi guys :))...but yes, I was asked to play just chart music on Friday night.

I firmly believe that Shortts had potential as a Muldoons replacement but the management coudn't understand why Harveys etc were getting more crowds than them. I believe the main reasons were 1. harveys has been in town a lot longer. And 2. when people pass shortts they just see an empty void in there and they needed to put the bar back downstairs.

They're doing that now so hopefully it will see some improvements.

The new PR & Marketing lads will have a tough job with the students with harveys and masons as competition but they have a lot of ideas and if they pull them off...who knows! Admittedly I wasn't very pro-active with my PR & Marketing style for this venue.
    "Keep building on the muldoons theme...look after your customers and they'll look after you"...and for the students....."do nothing...they don't deserve your efforts"

you can see why they went elsewhere lol
    Will be interesting to see how the student scene pans out this year. I really can't imagine Crystal/Shortt's doing anything with students. They might try, but ultimately students spend **** all. Mason's, Harvey's and now The Foundry have established themselves in the eyes of the students in Waterford and when freshers ask where's a good place to go out, not one person will answer Crystal/Shortt's - simply because nobody knows about it. When you consider the social media presences that the existing nightclubs have built up, it will be a very difficult battle and will probably cost them a lot of money in promotions. Shortt of putting bags over peoples heads as they're going into Mason's and instead dragging them up to Crystal, I don't see how they're going to get people going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

RxQueen wrote: »

Escape was open last saturday, €3 drinks and free in. It was busy enough in there.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Was in masons Saturday night, have to say I didn't feel safe so I left and went to Shortts, Daz and Martin were playing there it was something different, enjoyed it ended up in the foundry for the first time, fantastic looking place but it seemed like something was missing.

Advertisement