Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Nypd wrote: »
    Was in masons Saturday night, have to say I didn't feel safe so I left and went to Shortts, Daz and Martin were playing there it was something different, enjoyed it ended up in the foundry for the first time, fantastic looking place but it seemed like something was missing.

Yeah, the lounge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Nypd wrote: »
    Was in masons Saturday night, have to say I didn't feel safe so I left and went to Shortts, Daz and Martin were playing there it was something different, enjoyed it ended up in the foundry for the first time, fantastic looking place but it seemed like something was missing.

Have to agree with you about masons. Walked in there a couple of months ago had one drink, checked out what was around me and just left!! Couldn't feel safe there at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I also fully agree with it. Maybe it's all in my head but there just seems to be an unusually high number of scummy looking lads around Masons.

Which is a pity cause I'm never less then impressed with their music downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    I also fully agree with it. Maybe it's all in my head but there just seems to be an unusually high number of scummy looking lads around Masons.

Definitely not in your imagination. Even just driving past there at night, you see the kind of crowd going in there. Not pleasant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 4MWD

After five years of the best of local and national bands, dj's and some very memorable fancy dress nights the last of Waterford's longest running Saturday night late club, Traffik @ The Forum, will be happening at the end of Sept. An exciting brand new weekly Club will be launched in The Forum on Saturday October 1st. Just thought I'd post this here on Boards before any false rumours might start circulating!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Probably a long shot, but any info on what's taking its place? Price, type of music etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 4MWD

Hi Daysha. It will be event driven and have a broader appeal then just pure Indie music but def will not be mainstream, as most places downtown. Adm price will be based on current reality of the economy and that is the main reason we are launching a new club at this stage. Full details will be announced in a couple of weeks time as we want to see out the last nights of Traffik first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

4MWD wrote: »
    After five years of the best of local and national bands, dj's and some very memorable fancy dress nights the last of Waterford's longest running Saturday night late club, Traffik @ The Forum, will be happening at the end of Sept. An exciting brand new weekly Club will be launched in The Forum on Saturday October 1st. Just thought I'd post this here on Boards before any false rumours might start circulating!!!
    Will definitely be a shame to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sad to see the event go but it just ain't what it used to be.

Sad to see the event go but it just ain't what it used to be.
    I think half the problem is that it was exactly the same as it used to be. Only without the people going to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It's a pity, but a revamp might be just what it needs. It'll be interesting to see what takes Traffik's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

Anybody see the posters and the advertisement in news and star last week,amnesia club??looking for dancers djs promo people and singers,says launch party in Waterford in September??Never heard anything off anybody about it just seein posters around

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

skinnyboy wrote: »
    Anybody see the posters and the advertisement in news and star last week,amnesia club??looking for dancers djs promo people and singers,says launch party in Waterford in September??Never heard anything off anybody about it just seein posters around

One of the lads was on about this but I've forgotten where he said it was:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That's me. Happening in the shed in my back garden. Gonna be mental. €10 entry. Bring your own booze.

I was gonna try as one of the dancers for Amnesia but I don't wanna shave my legs.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    I think half the problem is that it was exactly the same as it used to be. Only without the people going to it.

The rest of town moved on and changed as they went, the only thing that changed in Traffik is the door charge when they felt like changing it.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    One of the lads was on about this but I've forgotten where he said it was:D

Surely oxygen no? I can't imagine where else it could be. Haven't seen any movement out of The Bowery so I can't imagine it being there.

Another Club in town though? Gonna get interesting in terms of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

That's me. Happening in the shed in my back garden. Gonna be metal. €10 entry. Bring your own booze.

fixed that tiny typo for you there :D

AdMMM wrote:
    As a kind of aside, I see that Traffik are starting to run their free before 12 nights again. If they don't bring in the crowds then there'll be trouble ahead....

Who needs 5 years of college? Spidey Sense is all you need :p

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

skinnyboy wrote: »

Flyers were in revolution last weekend,
    Maybe escape is going to give it another go

Ok, I'm going to make a morbid prediction.

A student is going to die in Waterford this year.

Harveys are going €2 entry and all drinks €2. The Foundry are doing the same. God knows what Masons are going to do.

This is bloody dangerous guys..and sure, you can argue that it's not much different to drinking at home. Well I propose that it is...when you're out and about, in the throws of a night out, drink seems to have a bigger effect on you. Think about it...they can throw a tenner at a barman and get five vodkas...and you know students, they'll just swallow em like their drinking actimels.

One of the venues decided that enough was enough and said...right, we need a meeting...all the venues together to declare that enough is enough. All but one of the others agreed. One venue said "Go fcuk yourselves".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are these deals not common enough in other areas like Galway and Dublin?

Those deals would be more "xxxxx Drink is €2 all night", and even then they would have better bouncers and security than we have here.

They'll make every drink €2 without even considering the outcome unless its "more students".

Sully wrote: »
    Are these deals not common enough in other areas like Galway and Dublin?

Well for non students, the deals that you see in this town on a thursday and sunday etc...you wouldn't see ANYWHERE in this country.

For students, there may be one or two in Dublin who do 5 in and all drinks €2 but they would be rare enough at the same time, and I'd be surprised if it's anywhere in Galway or Cork.

The Foundry are certainly not doing it in Carlow and I'd say they can't believe that they are actually going to do it down here.

Also, I see the Foundry are not opening their doors til 11:30pm. Anyone else think that the culture of drinking at home and arriving into town at 12:30 might stop once they know they can get drinks for €2? Probably not, but you never know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv seen it in Galway a few times anyway. Was this not the same offer Harveys mentioned a while back, and then pulled the plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

A&E is going to get very busy over the next few weeks

Just walking past Shortt's there, looks like they're putting in a bar in the entrance.

Wasn't it illegal for a while for pubs to have promotions like this? Say back when I was in college like 4 years ago. I seem to remember it pretty much changing overnight and you could only get very subtle price reductions. Nothing like today. Or, it was just a Celtic Tiger thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its going to be crowded everywhere in town in the nights now. so a student could drink 50 euro in a week no problem. I think muggings will rise in the city, more fights, more rapes etc.

The cheap drinks thing could take the fun out of going out IMO. Anyway its good for the bank account though lol

ziedth wrote: »
    Wasn't it illegal for a while for pubs to have promotions like this? Say back when I was in college like 4 years ago. I seem to remember it pretty much changing overnight and you could only get very subtle price reductions. Nothing like today. Or, it was just a Celtic Tiger thing.

Happy Hour is illegal. Thats when the drink prices dropped dirt cheap for a period of time. Doesn't seem very well enforced tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Spadzy wrote: »
    Escape was open last saturday, €3 drinks and free in. It was busy enough in there.....

Last time I was in there a big thumbleweed was rolling across the place

Advertisement