Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Think about it...they can throw a tenner at a barman and get five vodkas...and you know students, they'll just swallow em like their drinking actimels.

Surely there'll be a limit on amount of drink you can get in 1 purchase, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

One of the venues decided that enough was enough and said...right, we need a meeting...all the venues together to declare that enough is enough. All but one of the others agreed. One venue said "Go fcuk yourselves".

Kind of ironic that the venue that started all the 2.50 drinks is the one thats trying to do a deal with the other venues.If they didnt start the 2.50 drinks people wouldnt have had to match it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Promoting irresponsible drinking is illegal. Happy hour promotes drinking from early on, so is deemed irresponsible. Buy 2, get 3rd free promotes bulk drinking.

But cheap drinks benefits someone having one pint as much as someone having 10, so I don't think its as much a problem.

One of the venues decided that enough was enough and said...right, we need a meeting...all the venues together to declare that enough is enough. All but one of the others agreed. One venue said "Go fcuk yourselves".

Forming a cartel and price fixing is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dayshah wrote: »

I'm not sure is that true in this case though Like thre would be price matching alright but there would still be other places in the city you could go outside of the big 4.

I could be wrong though as I'm far from an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Last time I was in there a big thumbleweed was rolling across the place
    Went in for the laugh .... walked up the stairs they were playing cotten eye joe , or whatever it was, so left!

was a few in there tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

dayshah wrote: »
    I don't think a Cartel is what they had in mind, I read it as more of a "We need to agree to something before someone dies on these drinks for euros deals"

More like we all need to get these prices back up to a reasonable level so we can all start making some money again. Which is fair enough tbh.

It's all well and good to say that these €2 drinks are good for the town...but we all know they're not. Most bars can't afford to do it and when they're forced to close down, we'll all know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Only bout 6 r 7 when I went in there

• Advertisement

More like we all need to get these prices back up to a reasonable level so we can all start making some money again. Which is fair enough tbh.

Regardless of its merits, its illegal to have a meeting to agree on prices.

€2 pub drinks might be bad on public health grounds, but I think cheap supermarket booze is an even bigger issue.

Waterford might simply be too small to sustain the number of 'modern' pubs.

There's no doubt that Waterford is too small.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm wondering how many of the nightlife businesses will advertise with the new college paper and how there adverts will be, if the rivalry is as suggested. The last time WIT had a publication, only Harveys were allowed advertise IIRC!

They've admitted that they made a huge mistake with the exclusivity thing last year. It's gonna be every bar for himself this year and I'd imagine the SU will play them all off against each other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They've admitted that they made a huge mistake with the exclusivity thing last year. It's gonna be every bar for himself this year and I'd imagine the SU will play them all off against each other.

How so, what difference would it make to them? The paper isn't an SU thing anyway, nothing to do with them.

Sully wrote: »
    How so, what difference would it make to them? The paper isn't an SU thing anyway, nothing to do with them.

You sure about that?

Sully wrote: »
    You sure about that?
    PRETTY sure.

Up til last year there was a company from dublin looking after the Student Mag...apparently now it's being done in house.

They were locked into a contract alright until last year IIRC, whereby a third party looked after the advertising. It was a magazine style and not that popular. They started doing a publication/colouring book "in house" last year but it was abandoned and then it was agreed that the Journalism Society would be given their own paper, independent of the union. College financed their starter edition (printed in the Munster Express, 30 pages or so), but the society is to finance it from that point onwards. I'm sure they will end up with another attempt this year, but the independent one is going ahead and is in the middle of content call and advertiser discussions.

Its distributed throughout the campuses and the individual buildings, easy to read and a perfect size. More student based articles, fairer and more balanced. Shall go online also hopefully this month.

Advertising open to as many businesses who wish to get involved, and don't have to be tied down into contracts or pay thousands of euro for ads which end up not spelling the business name right!

Sounds good.

Was painful having to deal with (was it foresight? Or oxygen? SOme company like that)

• Advertisement

Cant recall the name, was very restrictive and cost a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

were is the best places ta head ta on a sunday nite

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I'm in crystal at the monent....and have to stay the music is ****!!! Heading down to harveys soon... Can't believe it got this bad!!! What a disappointment :( had high hopes for this place but playing the same stuff the foundary are playing regardless of age limit is absolute ****!!! Really disappointed!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cops gonna have great fun tonight with the party going on in Masons :rolleyes:

were is the best places ta head ta on a sunday nite

Mass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I'm in crystal at the monent....and have to stay the music is ****!!! Heading down to harveys soon... Can't believe it got this bad!!! What a disappointment :( had high hopes for this place but playing the same stuff the foundary are playing regardless of age limit is absolute ****!!! Really disappointed!!!! :mad:

Harveys, Crystal, the foundary, Masons play all the same stuff, chart rubbish, but thats want people want I guess

D'mother and D'father finally went to Shortt's last night after my recommendations on the music. They said they played about three 80's songs and the rest was chart stuff. They left within an hour of going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

It's a shame to see Shortts and Crystal changing so quickly. I can understand playing a bit of chart stuff to please certain people, but they seem to play more and more of it every week.

On a side note, does anyone know was Crystal open Friday night? Went into town around quarter to 12 and it was shut. Shortts didn't exactly look busy so assuming they didn't bother opening Crystal :mad:

Crystal has never been opened on a Friday night (except for spraoi and tall ships weekend)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

Crystal has never been opened on a Friday night (except for spraoi and tall ships weekend)

Oops my bad! Could've sworn I saw it open one Friday night I was out... was probably a Saturday but was so twisted I convinced myself it was a Friday.

All the nights have just blended into one drunken haze anyway :D

Advertisement