Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

My nightlife has developed into tuesday afternoons playing darts in the briar rose lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

D'mother and D'father finally went to Shortt's last night after my recommendations on the music. They said they played about three 80's songs and the rest was chart stuff. They left within an hour of going in.

I was in Shortts last night for a couple of hours and I didn't hear one chart song. It was all 80s and 90s. That's why we stayed. I went up to the club for a couple of minutes and it was reasonably busy, but the music sounded like one of those old student nights in Oxygen.

haha...mad how you can hear so many different reports from the same night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Maybe it just depended on the time? During one period it was, and the other period it wasn't.

True. But I wouldn't be a fan of playing an hour of chart and then an hour of oldies. You have to mix it all up. oldie - oldie - oldie - chart - chart - oldie - oldie - oldie -oldie -oldie haha

And when I say oldie I mean everything from the beatles to morrissey to the jam, pet shop boys, oasis and tiffany! People love a bit of variety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Might have been that but it was a string of chart and people just left thinking that was it?

Shorts & Crystal is owned/run by the same owner isn't it?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

Last time I was in there a big thumbleweed was rolling across the place

hahaha love it thumbleweed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Whats this i hear of aslan playing in crystal or shortts this coming wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yeah Aslan are playing wednesday night, free in and €3 drinks apparently.

I can't see why Aslan would still appeal to people when they're here nearly every 2 or 3 months. I've seen them about 4 times in Waterford now.

Waiting to see what other places try and offer for the first student night of the year.

• Advertisement

By the looks of it, Crystal and Masons are the only one offering entertainment? Harveys and Foundry sticking with their €2 in and all drinks €2. It will be very interesting to see where the Students choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

By the looks of it, Crystal and Masons are the only one offering entertainment? Harveys and Foundry sticking with their €2 in and all drinks €2. It will be very interesting to see where the Students choose.

Students will nearly always choose the cheap drink. Tis all about the money, unfortunately.

I reckon the hospital will be a lot busier at nighttime from now on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

i dont think we can stand by and be subjected to these great bargains any longer

the time has come to take a stand

next time im out in town ill be demanding that i pay over the odds for my alcohol regardless of the promotions being offered

whos with me

i dont think we can stand by and be subjected to these great bargains any longer

the time has come to take a stand

next time im out in town ill be demanding that i pay over the odds for my alcohol regardless of the promotions being offered

whos with me

And what happens to the small "local" bar who can no longer compete? Would you be happy in a city where the only bars that are open are the "super" bars?

And what happens to the small "local" bar who can no longer compete? Would you be happy in a city where the only bars that are open are the "super" bars?

"super" bars are not in competition with small "local" bars

my grandfather is going to drink in the same pub for the rest of his life regardless of whether harveys charge €10, €1 or 1c for their drink

if you are competing with "super" bars then that is exactly what you are aiming to be

Nonsense. The Front Lounge is not a Super bar, nor does it want to be. Same can be said of Katy Barrys, The Munster, all the bars in ballybricken.

€2 drinks is a disaster of an idea, and as much as it may sound like a super idea to someone like you, I guarantee you there's going to me a massive fall out from it in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Nonsense. The Front Lounge is not a Super bar, nor does it want to be. Same can be said of Katy Barrys, The Munster, all the bars in ballybricken.

€2 drinks is a disaster of an idea, and as much as it may sound like a super idea to someone like you, I guarantee you there's going to me a massive fall out from it in the coming months.

Dicey's in Dublin has been doing €2 drinks for over two years now probably. Before that you'd be looking at over €5 per drink. Packed most of the time, mostly professionals and some students. They must be doing something right.

Really don't get why people keep comparing Waterford with Dublin and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Well I haven't another example in Waterford to compare it to, do I?

Same product. Same service. Slightly different scale of market. Get over it.

i think the 'someone like you' jibe is bang out of order but you seem to be somewhat disturbed by the whole situation so ill let this one slide

do you honestly think that the likes of the munster are trying to appeal to the same customers as masons

• Advertisement

Well by someone like you I meant someone who thinks the €2 drinks are great for waterford. I apologise if the phrasing offended you.

I don't think that the Munster is looking for the masons custom...but a lot of pubs that used to do a lot of sunday evening business have lost custom to harveys and their all drinks 2.50 shenanigans

Well by someone like you I meant someone who thinks the €2 drinks are great for waterford. I apologise if the phrasing offended you.

I don't think that the Munster is looking for the masons custom...but a lot of pubs that used to do a lot of sunday evening business have lost custom to harveys and their all drinks 2.50 shenanigans

and some shops probably lost business to aldi and lidl too

but what it does is force other businesses to offer better value or a better service to their customers

competition is fantastic for the consumer

Of course competition is fantastic.

But The Munster aren't competing with Mason's. That's like saying Dunphy's shop is competing with Tesco. It's two different types.

What you're not thinking of is:
    1. €2 drinks come into Waterford
    2. Competitors start loosing business
    3. Competitiors loosing business loose money
    4. Some competitiors also go for €2/€3 drinks, even though they cant afford to.
    5. Dropping their prices decreases the money they're taking in because they're still spending the same to provide it.
    6. Less money coming in means eventual closure.

Of course competition is fantastic.

But The Munster aren't competing with Mason's. That's like saying Dunphy's shop is competing with Tesco. It's two different types.

What you're not thinking of is:
    1. €2 drinks come into Waterford
    2. Competitors start loosing business
    3. Competitiors loosing business loose money
    4. Some competitiors also go for €2/€3 drinks, even though they cant afford to.
    5. Dropping their prices decreases the money they're money in because they're still spending the same to provide it.
    6. Less money coming in means eventual closure.

i also made the point that masons isnt competing with the munster which makes the majority of your post null and void

anyway

very simplistic way of looking at things mitch

you do realise that price isnt the only way to complete right

businesses can offer a different or better service to compete

What would you suggest then to compete with €2?

Theres no way to compete with that without forking out more money or reducing your prices.

Harveys are competing with the Munster...Front Lounge...Katy Barrys.

What would you suggest then to compete with €2?

Theres no way to compete with that without forking out more money or reducing your prices.

if you are the best at what you do you will not lose your business

if you cant be the best nightclub you have to try to be the best at something else

if you cant have the best prices...

you could have the best location

you could offer the best entertainment

you could offer the best venue

you could offer the best food

and so on......

So to compete with a specific €2 drinks offer.....you simply "be the best".....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

hardybuck wrote: »
    Well I haven't another example in Waterford to compare it to, do I?

Same product. Same service. Slightly different scale of market. Get over it.

So 1,000,000 = 50,000? Back to school with you mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

So to compete with a specific €2 drinks offer.....you simply "be the best".....

.... and get Tina Turner to play the opening night :D

Advertisement