Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

So to compete with a specific €2 drinks offer.....you simply "be the best".....

let me put it this way

the dome has a target market made up mostly of students

harveys/masons will be aiming at students with this offer...

will the dome be forced to close soon

and if not... why

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

hardybuck wrote: »
    Nonsense. The Front Lounge is not a Super bar, nor does it want to be. Same can be said of Katy Barrys, The Munster, all the bars in ballybricken.

€2 drinks is a disaster of an idea, and as much as it may sound like a super idea to someone like you, I guarantee you there's going to me a massive fall out from it in the coming months.

Dicey's in Dublin has been doing €2 drinks for over two years now probably. Before that you'd be looking at over €5 per drink. Packed most of the time, mostly professionals and some students. They must be doing something right.

That's all good when you are dealing with sensible adults, who can handle their drink (most of the time).
    Add the 18 year old away from home for the first time with €2 drinks, it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It's only a matter of time before this blows up in their faces !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

let me put it this way

the dome has a target market made up mostly of students

harveys/masons will be aiming at students with this offer...

will the dome be forced to close soon

and if not... why
    Because The Dome is a student bar primarily for WIT students, its target market is made up entirely of students, not mostly. Half the time you need a WIT Card to get in. Its treated as a social club like rather than a bar.
    The Dome is also part of WIT Campus Services, its not a standalone pub/club like Harveys and Masons are.
    The Dome closes during the summer when the students go home,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

Because The Dome is a student bar primarily for WIT students, its target market is made up entirely of students, not mostly. Half the time you need a WIT Card to get in. Its treated as a social club like rather than a bar.
    The Dome is also part of WIT Campus Services, its not a standalone pub/club like Harveys and Masons are.
    The Dome closes during the summer when the students go home,

well done mitch

the dome caters to its target market perfectly

by locating on campus and closing for the summer (amongst many other things) the dome has found a way to compete.....

and it doesnt mean having to offer €2 drinks

The Dome isn't competing with the rest of town!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think the point is that it competes, but it competes using its niche. In the same way special offers on Jaeger Bombs aren't likely to appeal to customers of the old man pubs. When I go out I'm not a heavy drinker and like to go out an relax, so €2 drinks and a big long queue at the bar isn't attractive to me. But it probably would have been 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I agree with this. I've been in the Dome for many years (longer than I care to mention :D) and simply the only thing that the Dome would compete with is an on-campus off-licence selling drink for half-nothing.

When it comes down to students, it's all about the drink prices. It doesn't matter what entertainment you offer. Given the choice between cheap drink on a Wednesday night and U2, the Script, the Coronas or various other crap bands, students will choose the cheap drink.

One more thing to get off my chest while I'm quite intoxicated; I really want to see Shortts do well (regardless of where I work), I think they were filling a sorely missed hole in Waterfords nightlife. However, revelations on this thread regarding their music policy and especially their choice of bands leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically, I've had the misfortune to deal with Aslan on a professional basis in the past. I'll be honest they're a bunch of talentless, ignorant cúnts and I'm sure everyone in Waterford has had more than their fill of them. It says a lot about our night life when these are the types of bands that are repeatedly regurgitated again and again by Waterford venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

fook the students i cant wait to see aslan for free!

they were playing in the tower there a couple of months ago for 15 squids, and pints in the tower would be pricey enough.
    so one might ask, was the tower making a tidy profit or is crystal taking a huge gamble here giving free admission and 3 euro pints? they'll have to sell a lot of pints in order to break even. or perhaps this is more of a promotion event for the rest of the year, trying to establish themselves as the top student venue?

ah who am i kidding i dont care. im gettin ****faced and seeing aslan for free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Results of Round 1 are in...

The winners are....

The Foundry...

Masons never even opened the night club part...and Harveys didn't open full stop.

I know it's only day one but I have to say, those results are surprising. Masons, who we all thought would sweep up the students without even trying, may now have a fight on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

im not in waterford right now is this freshers week or is wit open for all students and did the foundry get busy early or is it starting off already with students coming out after 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

Results of Round 1 are in...

The winners are....

The Foundry...

Masons never even opened the night club part...and Harveys didn't open full stop.

I know it's only day one but I have to say, those results are surprising. Masons, who we all thought would sweep up the students without even trying, may now have a fight on their hands.

Was kinda surprised at that myself, but as far as I know it was mostly freshers down last night, and the Foundry had people handing out passes outside the college yesterday, so they snapped them all up.

It's hard to tell what will happen once all the other years are back though. Harveys and Masons seemed fairly popular with everyone that was in the college last year, so wonder will they stay loyal to them, or jump to the Foundry.

Santan wrote: »
    im not in waterford right now is this freshers week or is wit open for all students and did the foundry get busy early or is it starting off already with students coming out after 12

Foundry opening at 11:30 for the students. Surprising really...drinks for €2 I'd be looking to open earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That is an interesting start but I'd say the first full week of college will tell allot. Although there could also be a case of people going into the foundry to see what it's like. I'll say October will be a fair reflection of how things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ziedth wrote: »
    That is an interesting start but I'd say the first full week of college will tell allot. Although there could also be a case of people going into the foundry to see what it's like. I'll say October will be a fair reflection of how things are.

Was in the Foundry last night and it was busy and very messey, so how many venues are going to be open wednesday night? 4 or 5? There was only enough out last night to fill one venue, But its a safe bet to say the Foundry wont keep selling drinks at 2 euro its just for the first few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Was in the Foundry last night and it was busy and very messey, so how many venues are going to be open wednesday night? 4 or 5? There was only enough out last night to fill one venue, But its a safe bet to say the Foundry wont keep selling drinks at 2 euro its just for the first few weeks

I was thinking how would the foundry make a profit on the 2 euro craic, but when you think about it, what does the foundry hold? 600? So that's 1200 euro on the door, and if everyone spends about a tenner each, it's another 6000 euro.

It sounds like a lot but when all costs are taken into account, it makes the profit margin very tight I would think, and when you do this twice a week it makes things tighter again.

My verdict, it will last a month or two and will be pulled.

They're all testing the waters. It's going to be very interesting to watch.

They're all testing the waters. It's going to be very interesting to watch.

I pity the A&E staff. As if they don't have it bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

What is it with all this "I pity the A&E staff" shíte? Like for God's sake, you'd swear ye were all about 60 the way you're talking. Young people actually HAVE common sense, it may seem hard to believe since you're all so in the know and seem to be masterminds regarding every situation.

When this thread brought up the matter of The Foundry opening, the response was "Oh it'll close within a month". It's still open, and most of you were wrong, as always, just like you're wrong about practically everything in this thread.

It's just turned into a deterrent from the nightlife in Waterford, all ye do is bítch and complain about absolutely everything. Half the people here have interests within certain bars and clubs and just post crap on their behalf, and then pretend they've nothing to do with it. :confused:

Yeah lads!!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    What is it with all this "I pity the A&E staff" shíte? Like for God's sake, you'd swear ye were all about 60 the way you're talking. Young people actually HAVE common sense, it may seem hard to believe since you're all so in the know and seem to be masterminds regarding every situation.

When this thread brought up the matter of The Foundry opening, the response was "Oh it'll close within a month". It's still open, and most of you were wrong, as always, just like you're wrong about practically everything in this thread.

It's just turned into a deterrent from the nightlife in Waterford, all ye do is bítch and complain about absolutely everything. Half the people here have interests within certain bars and clubs and just post crap on their behalf, and then pretend they've nothing to do with it. :confused:

I'm only 20, and the reason I said I pity them is that I have seen how my friends and people my age drink. Personally I'm not bothered about going out and getting sh*tfaced, I dont see how it makes a good night.

I have seen many people being nearly carried out of nightclubs, and that is at normal prices, at less than half price? I wouldnt like to be in the foundry on one of those nights.

And on a side note, i never said the foundry would be closed, I encourage any new enterprise, but they needed to learn how things are done in Waterford, that there is more competition here than they are used to in Carlow.

• Advertisement

I pity whoevers working the deli the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

are shortts going to make it a habit of getting decent bands in every so often on student nights?
    Watch this space tomorrow as we reveal our full student line up, it's quality live music and some wicked club nights for the month of September, see you all for Aslan tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Noel2k9 wrote: »

Jeeez Noel take a chill pill, a lot of us do work in the industry including myself behind a bar in a city hotel, the foundry is hanging in by a thread, I went in for a glance after work last night, and as I said it was messy and why wouldn’t it be when drinks are at €2 euro, and im 100% sure A&E will feel the side effects from this, the booze bus could be on the streets of Waterford yet and we are not saying every student will end up there, but you have some people that don’t know when they have enough. I will give you one thing Noel a lot of us were complaining that drink prices were too high, now they are to low we are a hard bunch to please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Jeeez Noel take a chill pill, a lot of us do work in the industry including myself behind a bar in a city hotel, the foundry is hanging in by a thread, I went in for a glance after work last night, and as I said it was messy and why wouldn’t it be when drinks are at €2 euro, and im 100% sure A&E will feel the side effects from this, the booze bus could be on the streets of Waterford yet and we are not saying every student will end up there, but you have some people that don’t know when they have enough. I will give you one thing Noel a lot of us were complaining that drink prices were too high, now they are to low we are a hard bunch to please

The Foundry may be hanging in by a thread, but it has the support behind it for them to ensure it doesn't close. It's not as if that's their only source of income, so even if it turns to a case of "We're not making much profits", they'd still keep the club as it wouldn't have been worth their investment to just close it down as they wouldn't be able to sell it anyway. With the students back in Waterford now, I'm sure it'll pick up business, just like last night. Students will go where the offers are, and right now, The Foundry is the most appealing (Masons is a sweat box, and Harveys is just.. old..).

And yeah, I agree that a minority of students will probably over do their limits with drink, but the way some people on this thread talk is such a generalisation of students. It's as if some people think that we're all just out to get píssed every night of the week and go to A&E for a free check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

kkdela6 wrote: »
    are shortts going to make it a habit of getting decent bands in every so often on student nights?
    Watch this space tomorrow as we reveal our full student line up, it's quality live music and some wicked club nights for the month of September, see you all for Aslan tomorrow night.

Interested to see the line up, i wouldnt think Aslan would be that cheap.

Anyone know if it's local bands playing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

Ledger wrote: »
    I was thinking how would the foundry make a profit on the 2 euro craic, but when you think about it, what does the foundry hold? 600? So that's 1200 euro on the door, and if everyone spends about a tenner each, it's another 6000 euro.

It sounds like a lot but when all costs are taken into account, it makes the profit margin very tight I would think, and when you do this twice a week it makes things tighter again.

My verdict, it will last a month or two and will be pulled.

the foundry holds 900

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can any WIT Student who goes out in Waterford, send me a PM? Cheers. :)

Now I know why ya knew so much about the student mag...ya chancer!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Now I know why ya knew so much about the student mag...ya chancer!

?

• Advertisement

Really?

Advertisement