Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Any word on A+E department yet :)

From what I heard they're expecting a slow start, but for things to start to pick up around half 1 or so... I think we need to get someone out there to give us a detailed report

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just got home now and from the looks of it Foundry was the winner. We were first in Shortts for a few which was absolutely dead until about 11.30 when we went upstairs to Crystal. In fairness the place was quite busy when I was expecting it to fair the worst compared to Masons/Foundry/Harveys. Obviously Aslan was a big pull to a lot of people and while it wasn't packed, they brought in a good crowd. I'd guess they'll need to continue getting decent bands in to bring in the crowds.

We were then in Masons for a while which was very busy, but not any more so than a usual Saturday night. It was only on the walk down did we notice the queue outside the Foundry stretching down towards the Woodman, something I haven't seen since their opening week. Obviously the name recognition is pulling in a lot of people around the Carlow/Kilkenny area. I wasn't near Harvey's so I don't know how that place got on, but Escape looked dead.

Maybe some will think different in the morning but from the places I saw they should all be pretty happy with the crowds they got in. It'll be the next few weeks when word-of-mouth spreads will we get a clearer indication of who is doing best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

Nypd wrote: »
    Foundry very very busy
    Crystal very busy
    Masons busy
    Harveys absolutely dead
    Escape bombed out

someone said there were 1400 in harveys?? and the stopped the cover charge! the foundry def a winner tonight full house again same as the monday night...couldnt hardly move in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Yeah...harveys wasnt dead. Dunno where you got that from.

Latest polls suggest

1. Foundry
    2. Masons
    3. Harveys
    4. Crystal.

Although each place had a crowd. So...maybe they can all do well this year? Which would be some result. However, the big question is, who made the most money last night?

Crystal had a live a band (3k probably) and 3 djs and no door charge. Masons had a band (500 probably) and 1 DJ and no door charge. Foundry had just a DJ and a €2 door charge but €3 drinks. And harveys...well I haven't a clue really.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Twas before 12 dropped into harveys, there was 3 in the bar, guess they got a late crowd.
    Masons was brisk but not packed.
    Foundry didn't even attempt to go in, no que at that point but had plenty going in.
    Settled into crystal nice mixture of a crowd for Aslan have to say it was very busy there, Shortts was dead but club looked 3/4 full.

Will be interesting next week with all years back

• Advertisement

Places never expect to get busy til after 12, hence most of them not even opening til half eleven.

I really think this whole thing is fascinating.

At the moment, students are just coming back to college so they have a few bob in their pockets. But in a few weeks time they'll be drinking at home and heading out with €5. How can clubs stay open when they're not making any money?

We're gonna find out soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Was in crystal myself last night and had an absolute ball. great craic. my first time being in there since the reopening and while i was absoutlely distraught with shortts (i was a big electric avenue man) i think crystal is a fantastic spot for live music.
    Aslan were great, the place was hopping with barely a student to be seen. I really hope they keep getting in decent bands, the forum-style bands, local national and maybe even international.
    Its big enough to host any kind of a band but its also small enough to fill, the ideal venue. What with traffik finishing up in the forum, crystal could really capitalise.

Anyway, as i stumbled out around 2 o clock, john street was packed. Looked like town was very busy last night. For some reason i walked down to college street campus and back to john street and i actually never felt safer, chatting to random people as i went along. Looks like 2011-2012 is set to be a good year to be a student in waterford. Lucky bastards

Latest polls suggest

1. Foundry
    2. Masons
    3. Harveys
    4. Crystal.

Although each place had a crowd. So...maybe they can all do well this year? Which would be some result. However, the big question is, who made the most money last night?

Crystal had a live a band (3k probably) and 3 djs and no door charge. Masons had a band (500 probably) and 1 DJ and no door charge. Foundry had just a DJ and a €2 door charge but €3 drinks. And harveys...well I haven't a clue really.

the foundry had 2 euro drinks not 3 euro!

Yeah I knew that. Meant to say crystal had €3 drinks.

Crystal midweek is a student venue so if as you say there easy many students there..well they won't like that. The lads are trying live bands there every weds for the students. It's not going to be waterford's newest live music venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

From what I know Harveys would have had a way better night as it has a bigger capacity over Foundry by about 300 if not more.(Crystal beats Harveys by about 200 ;) )
    I reckon Foundry only did really well because of the rep the name has with students which wont last.
    Harveys on the other hand has a great smoking area and cocktail bar which is going to be hard to beat.

Great night was had working in Crystal, Aslan were great, never disappoint, Monster Energy drink Promo went well(even though i was nearly hitting the roof with the amount of it i drank :) ), Cocktails were flying out - at €3 each why wouldnt they :)
    From what i can see Masons and Escape were the 2 that didn't benefit at all last night from students. Masons seemed to be a stop off point for everyone before they hit Foundry,Harveys and Crystal.

Heres hoping the bands in Crystal are as good as Aslan were last night since RoySeven and Knights of Leon have to come yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Crystal midweek is a student venue so if as you say there easy many students there..well they won't like that. The lads are trying live bands there every weds for the students. It's not going to be waterford's newest live music venue.

i was fairly well on last night but it did seem most of the clientele were not students. i suppose aslan wouldnt really be a student band though. its an excellent venue for live music though. didnt ian brown and rodrigo y gabriela perform there a couple of years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What size is the monster they sell in pubs? 500ml? I didn't even know it was served in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

A good portion of people out last night seemed to be talk talk staff from what i could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MacGyver wrote: »
    A good portion of people out last night seemed to be talk talk staff from what i could see.

Cant blame them really. When I got informed of redundancy a couple years ago there was much drink consumed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 socks316

Well from what i was told last night the foundry is only doing cheap drink for 4 weeks and den after that its business as usual,if they dont get the students there pulling out of waterford.its nice to see all the clubs in waterford doing well out of the students,but the students will only go where the cheap drink is .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The staff of TalkTalk pretty much owned Geoff's last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ziedth wrote: »
    What size is the monster they sell in pubs? 500ml? I didn't even know it was served in pubs.

there's also a 250ml can.

that's the size we're putting in there. They're flying! What exactly is the promo does anyone know?

I've never seen it in any other pub/club

Pity, buying a 500ml can of energy drink would be the business on a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

So, if its €2 in, is that €2 + €2 for a jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

skinnyboy wrote: »
    Anybody see the posters and the advertisement in news and star last week,amnesia club??looking for dancers djs promo people and singers,says launch party in Waterford in September??Never heard anything off anybody about it just seein posters around

Its hardly the same Amnesia as in Ibiza Amnesia?be some laugh turn waterford back into the session city I'v heard about!and if its not...They're hardly allowed use that name are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ohemgeez

somehow i don't think its the same at all

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

theillest wrote: »
    skinnyboy wrote: »
    Anybody see the posters and the advertisement in news and star last week,amnesia club??looking for dancers djs promo people and singers,says launch party in Waterford in September??Never heard anything off anybody about it just seein posters around

Its hardly the same Amnesia as in Ibiza Amnesia?be some laugh turn waterford back into the session city I'v heard about!and if its not...They're hardly allowed use that name are they?

It's two guys from Kilkenny so I'm told, Escape is set to host it once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

So Escape are running an Amnesia night?is it?

So I went for a few pints up in Ballybricken Sat night and we decided late on to head down town and finally ended up in Crystal. Must say I was a little disappointed. There was a scummy enough kinda crowd that immediately made me feel uncomfortable and the music was chart stuff.

Having said that the drink was nicely priced for a club and I like the cocktail part of the club. All in all I had a good night. I'll prob end up being dragged to Harveys next time which is heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Went down to harveys at 1, place was packed. €2 a drink was great, but never have I seen so many lads kicked out if a pub in my life. Then on the street afterwards there was nothing but broken glass everywhere. Had a good time though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I see the Foundry are advertising a mid-week UV party.

Looks like they are coming up with some nice ideas. I just wish they had they UV party on a Saturday, I like glow sticks :(

The foundry are now doin 5 euro in and all drinks €2,50 on friday and saturday night and over 20s!

^ your shítting me? They changed their tune from when they first came on the scene of €10 entry every night. I'd be amazed if the cheap drinks caught on weekend nights though. I just don't see the logic in it unless you want it shoulder to shoulder in your pub.

^ your shítting me? They changed their tune from when they first came on the scene of €10 entry every night. I'd be amazed if the cheap drinks caught on weekend nights though. I just don't see the logic in it unless you want it shoulder to shoulder in your pub.

not ****tin ya! have a look on the foundry facebook page and see for yourself. so i say fri and sat is goin to be fairly busy as what i can see last night mental mental night!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

So I went for a few pints up in Ballybricken Sat night and we decided late on to head down town and finally ended up in Crystal. Must say I was a little disappointed. There was a scummy enough kinda crowd that immediately made me feel uncomfortable and the music was chart stuff.

Having said that the drink was nicely priced for a club and I like the cocktail part of the club. All in all I had a good night. I'll prob end up being dragged to Harveys next time which is heart breaking.
    Fuk Harveys!!

Advertisement