Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

yoyo83 wrote: »
    not ****tin ya! have a look on the foundry facebook page and see for yourself. so i say fri and sat is goin to be fairly busy as what i can see last night mental mental night!!!

Eh midweek= students, 18-21
    The weekends a different story, still cheap
    How can you keep a club open and giving away drink for nothing, but good for the customer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ my guess is trying to get people in the door. I guess if they run it for a few weeks and 5% of the new customers stay on it'll be worth a few quid to them. In my case I'd maybe give it a look on a Friday. Def not a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ my guess is trying to get people in the door. I guess if they run it for a few weeks and 5% of the new customers stay on it'll be worth a few quid to them. In my case I'd maybe give it a look on a Friday. Def not a Saturday.

i wonder how busy it will be ill have to find out in there tomorrow be working lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The foundry are now doin 5 euro in and all drinks €2,50 on friday and saturday night and over 20s!
    I didn't think they'd get so desperate so quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

AdMMM wrote: »
    I didn't think they'd get so desperate so quick!

sure they do a 2euro entry 2euro all drinks thing some nights midweek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

a lot of the lads i know said since harveys and foundry brought in the 2 euro drinks thing, they've stopped pre drinking at home and just go straight out, so i guess it is having some kind of a positive effect?
    i thought 2 euro drinks would be lethal, especially since a lot of students would have a few spare bob coming back from the summer holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They were talking about it on WLR this morning and it made my blood boil. People texting in "sure pints are five euro in night clubs no wonder people drink at home". I'd imagine that texted went out once 6 years ago and now sits in every Saturday horsing into a Chinese and watching the x-factor.

It's good for customers right now but in the long run it's going to be a disaster.

I thought John awylward spoke well but it's a topic that should have been given more time and effort. That wan fallon who was hosting the show is worse than awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

They were talking about it on WLR this morning and it made my blood boil. People texting in "sure pints are five euro in night clubs no wonder people drink at home". I'd imagine that texted went out once 6 years ago and now sits in every Saturday horsing into a Chinese and watching the x-factor.

It's good for customers right now but in the long run it's going to be a disaster.

I thought John awylward spoke well but it's a topic that should have been given more time and effort. That wan fallon who was hosting the show is worse than awful.
    Listening to Billy on Deise AM and his legion of 'aul wans would bring out the rage in anyone tbh.

You're right there. How do they get away with it.

By the way...I discovered this week how vast our readership is from various parts of the media. Some people who I thought wouldnt even know what boards is are regular lurkers on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Out of interest, I'd be of a much older age profile than would be going to the clubs down near the 'traffic lights' but would be a regular visitor to the basemeent of the Twisted Pepper in Dublin for techno events. Do any of the clubs in Waterford ever cater to a techno audience? I did once go to a night in 10 (or whatever it was called) and left quickly enough due to the large numbers of lads in shell suits making it a little uncomfortable. I seldom go out in Waterford anyway but sometimes get a hankering for some late night techno. I know of occasional excellent techno nights up in the showboat. Just curious. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

By the way...I discovered this week how vast our readership is from various parts of the media. Some people who I thought wouldnt even know what boards is are regular lurkers on here.
    Really.............

>_>
    <_<
    O_O

I see you!!!!

The nice ones PM you when they need a favour/quote to use.

A hankering for some late night techno haha. I want that on a t-shirt. There's a DJ on boards who is raring to do a techno night somewhere but there's nowhere doing them at the mo.

And mitch, that was nice of them alright...boards really is a gift for journalists.

Going off topic but talking of Lurkers I noticed Beat Breakfast have used threads in after hours for their stories for people to text in about. They did mention boards in all fairness. Why won't they use our forum I say :)

If the €2 drinks thing makes it's way into a regular Saturday night I'd be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

So is this foundy promotion aggressive or just desperate ?

More than likely just stupid.

I'd say aggressive. I have only been there the once for about 30min but they seemed to be getting good crowds. Maybe they need more but they seem busy.

They're probably experimenting this weekend. They'll hope for the best...examine the takings and if they do it again next week then they're happy enough with it. I think it's madness personally but I think the whole town has gone crazy so it's all the one.

Went to The Foundry last night. Promo guy gave us a foundry fiver to get in for free, €2.50 drinks. Every drink. I mean large bottles of cider and mixes. I was drinking large bottles of bulmers for €2.50 each and the captain and cokes for €2.50 each. A double cost me €5.

I had a great night on it, and I finally had a night where I was in there and still have recollection of it. But I can see how someone can easily walk in with €20 and just go overboard within 5 minutes.

A bloody great offer for the customer though. I just don't understand how they can make money. Unless theyre stealing the jackets haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

its not all about making the money...paying the bills!

Wha?

Wha?

:confused:

I'm with you on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Wha?

Add me to that list also please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Wha?

Nypd wrote: »
    Add me to that list also please
    I'm intrigued by the trailing ! as well as the unorthadox business thinking so count me in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

its not all about making the money...paying the bills!

I assume you mean that The Foundry have given up on trying to make a profit. They are just trying to get in enough customers to cover the overheads. (Either way though, they should try make as much money as possible.)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

dayshah wrote: »
    I assume you mean that The Foundry have given up on trying to make a profit. They are just trying to get in enough customers to cover the overheads. (Either way though, they should try make as much money as possible.)

christ when they have a full charge on the door they get **** and now when they have these offers on now ye are complaining that they are not trying hard enough to make money, jesus there is nobody that can do anyright by some people would love to see some people here with their great comments actually try something in the real world

^ one poster has said he thinks it's best practice for the foundry to try and make as much profit as possible instead of trying to cover overheads (if that is indeed what yoyo was getting at) I think that is a fairly straight forward thing to say and I didn't at all get the feeling that it was a negative comment.

As with basic economics there is a point that the foundry can charge that enough people will be happy to pay say they make optimum turnover. Overcharging and indeed undercharging isn't cost effective.

BTW real world? We don't live in bloody Narnia.

Santan wrote: »
    christ when they have a full charge on the door they get **** and now when they have these offers on now ye are complaining that they are not trying hard enough to make money, jesus there is nobody that can do anyright by some people would love to see some people here with their great comments actually try something in the real world

Listen buddy, we're not fcuking complaining..:we're commenting. We're not saying...that's disgraceful how dear the foundry is. We're saying.:.fcuk..how are the making money. Will you take the time to read the posts properly instead of hopping on to your begrudgery horse and sailing into the night.

I've never complained about any venues, I have commented on them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

im not saying it was a negative comment but everything the foundry does people are saying its wrong, if they are charging 10e in its wrong cos they are ripping people off, if its 2e in its wrong cos they are not making enought profit, imnot trying to start an argument about it but its just very contradicting thats all

Advertisement