Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Well to be honest I think both pricing strategies are wrong. €10 in with €6 (or there abouts) a pint like I believe they originally tried to charge is like you said ripping people off. Free in and €2.50 drinks like has been mentioned is being charged to people with a voucher is great for the consumer but I can't see it working for them in terms of making money. It's not that any of us are complaining,

I personally couldn't give a shíte what they charge cause it's just not my kind of place and I wouldn't go there but we are just discussing our various opinions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It really looks to me that it is a race to the bottom with some venues,
    I'm not a big drinker, but I do like a night out.
    The streets on Wednesday night were mental, kids pucking or punching, how long can this last, before guards, HSE, Diageo or some agency steps in to try prevent what's going ?

I wasnt out last night, did the foundry have a crowd and were the same scences replicated on the streets,
    I'd like to think the regular Saturday night crowd could behave better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Nypd wrote: »
    It really looks to me that it is a race to the bottom with some venues,
    I'm not a big drinker, but I do like a night out.
    The streets on Wednesday night were mental, kids pucking or punching, how long can this last, before guards, HSE, Diageo or some agency steps in to try prevent what's going ?

I wasnt out last night, did the foundry have a crowd and were the same scences replicated on the streets,
    I'd like to think the regular Saturday night crowd could behave better.

I am the same I love going out but would not drink to excess, I like getting typsy when out. But the way town has gone with the two euro drinks its just not fun going out, I would rather pay a fiver a pint and have a good atmosphere out than this whole bull crap thats happening at the moment. It is seriously dangerous going out on these two euro nights and I hope its brought to an end soon. :(

I have no shame in admitting it that I don't go out as often as i'd say most do. a couple of times a month would be the max but when I do go out I get fairly hammered. it takes a good amount of drink to get me drunk so cheaper drink is great in that sense but I have to say of the cheap drink spots in town I wouldn't really drink in any of them cause as deisedave said i'd rather a good atmosphere anyday.

Nothing puts me off a place quicker then scumbags and for all the shít I give Harveys I will say that in general they have the best crowd in town. The few times I was in shortts while it was the 80's/90's music they had a good crowd too but I haven't been in there since the change of direction so i can't comment on it lately.

All in all I think in a few weeks closer to christmas that places are going to start getting desperate. I'll say again that I don't think for one minute the foudry are thinking of this cheap drink as a long or even medium term thing. something afoot IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

From a students point of view, I think the cheap drinks/admission is a good idea by the clubs in Waterford. I was out Monday night for the first time this year and had a brilliant night, didn't see any fights or any people getting sick, just lots of students having a good time. Personally I spent/will spend more money on a night out now with the cheap offers too. Last year, I would have pre drank up till about 12 and then went out to whichever place was free in. Only money I would spend on a night out was occasionally a taxi home, this year however I'm buying more drinks out, €2 into Foundry/Harveys, I'd say I definitely spend at least €10 more on the clubs this year than last year, and can only imagine there are many more students the same as myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

Was in waterford for the week, went to knights of leon on wednesday in crystal and had a brilliant time. The streets were packed with students afterwards but i didnt see one scrap and i didnt see anyone puking, the only thing i did see was a lot of rubbish but sure thats always the case.
    Went to calvin harris last night, even though i dont like calvin harris, and had a brilliant time also. Really missed going out in waterford, i actually prefer it to dublin. People are sounder and more chatty here, and johns street is like one big playground. Since im only 23 id love to go out chatting up the older student women, but my girlfriend would kill me .lol

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭cassette50

Well-it's happening.

Just seen the advert for the Foundry in this weeks Waterford Today.

All drinks will be €2.50 on Friday and Saturday nights.

€5 door charge and doors open at 11.30pm and over 20's only.

Will be interesting to see how the others react to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

cassette50 wrote: »
    Well-it's happening.

Can’t see anyone reacting to this, they don’t need to on a Saturday night, the foundry are trying to get people in the door as their previous ideas were such a massive flop. The profits they are making from this are slim to none.

From a students point of view, I think the cheap drinks/admission is a good idea by the clubs in Waterford. I was out Monday night for the first time this year and had a brilliant night, didn't see any fights or any people getting sick, just lots of students having a good time. Personally I spent/will spend more money on a night out now with the cheap offers too. Last year, I would have pre drank up till about 12 and then went out to whichever place was free in. Only money I would spend on a night out was occasionally a taxi home, this year however I'm buying more drinks out, €2 into Foundry/Harveys, I'd say I definitely spend at least €10 more on the clubs this year than last year, and can only imagine there are many more students the same as myself.

That is the problem tbh students will spend more money out and they will down alot of drink in a small period and then the trouble starts. I know all students wont do that but a lot will, I live right near Harveys and there is ten fold more trouble on a Wednesday night then there ever is on a Saturday for example.

few cans? wrote: »
    Was in waterford for the week, went to knights of leon on wednesday in crystal and had a brilliant time. The streets were packed with students afterwards but i didnt see one scrap and i didnt see anyone puking, the only thing i did see was a lot of rubbish but sure thats always the case.
    Went to calvin harris last night, even though i dont like calvin harris, and had a brilliant time also. Really missed going out in waterford, i actually prefer it to dublin. People are sounder and more chatty here, and johns street is like one big playground. Since im only 23 id love to go out chatting up the older student women, but my girlfriend would kill me .lol

But John Street is not a playground old people live very close to that area, I have no problem with people going out and having fun but for the love of god dont sing, shoud, scream or whatever up and down the roads after the clubs. The state of town after the clubs close is also ridiculous, I hate the way just because people are drunk it is seen as ok to fcuk up the town.

• Advertisement

cassette50 wrote: »
    Well-it's happening.

It stinks of desperation, wasn't the few that went in there 18-21s ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The rumours are starting to circulate now

"The Foundry are just selling off stock and are closing down"

Apparently Carlow students are not too happy at the waterford students drinking for €2 down here whereas up there they're paying full whack on the door and full whack on drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Apparently Carlow students are not too happy at the waterford students drinking for €2 down here whereas up there they're paying full whack on the door and full whack on drink.
    It might encourage more students to WIT!

Ha I heard that also, I wondered how long before it was circulated.

Good point on the students in Carlow, it's was always only a matter of time before it came to head

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

mite be a stupid question but why would they sell off stock when they have a few other bars??? would it not make more sense to just move it to the other bars and sell at full wack? gotta laugh at the rumours!

Nothing about that particular rumour makes much sense tbh. But there's not much in this town at the moment that makes any sense.

alphapa wrote: »
    mite be a stupid question but why would they sell off stock when they have a few other bars??? would it not make more sense to just move it to the other bars and sell at full wack? gotta laugh at the rumours!

Very good point.

The more relevant point is how much drink could they have left afters selling it all off for €2

That rumor prolly has no merit, on saying that alcohol has a sell by date!
    But the So I hear the management were told to get them in the doors, if they did not succeed it's was curtains for the place,
    Rocky times for the foundry

Nypd wrote: »
    That rumor prolly has no merit, on saying that alcohol has a sell by date!
    But the So I hear the management were told to get them in the doors, if they did not succeed it's was curtains for the place,
    Rocky times for the foundry

Looks like they are getting the students in the door, but not making anything, is Harveys the same? and how is masons doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

The que in there was mental tonight, I'd say their turning some sort of profit, seeing Crystal and Shorrts had 3 euro a drink and no one in there

blaa85 wrote: »
    The que in there was mental tonight, I'd say their turning some sort of profit, seeing Crystal and Shorrts had 3 euro a drink and no one in there

Students follow each other bascially like sheep falling off a cliff:rolleyes: If they had 700 in there last night, €2.00 door charge= €1400 thats not going to even cover staff, and extensions.
    Drinks at €2.00= 5 to 10cent profit per drink. so your answer blaa85 is a big no, you would make more money sweeping the streets at the end of the night:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daisy18

From what I hear The Foundry is far from closing.. its here to stay and from the numbers in there last weekend and also reaching capacity every night with students their here for the long haul as much as people from harveys and masons on here would like to state different.. the way I see it The Foundry are damned if they do and damned if they dont.. I'm glad their finally mixing it up in Waterford, its time for a change and I know where me and all my friends will be at the weekend..:-)

Daisy....you work in The Foundry. I respect your loyalty, but you could be more transparent about it.

This is a discussion forum...and a place for people to give their opinions about waterford's nightlife. The Foundry made an absolute balls of their marketing and operational strategy when they first entered this city, and they've been chasing their tails ever since. Yes, €2 drinks is great for the customers, but I don't think it's unfair of us, in a discussion about nightlife, to wonder how on earth they're making money.

I have never done this in all my years of uusing boards and it kills me but it's the only thing that can express how i'm feeling but................ :rolleyes:

I think i'll have a chat with the other mods about suspected shilling/advertising because it is ruining what could be a very good thread. leave it with me.

It's hard to spot it etc (although i'm sure Sully is getting better at spotting them)...but it would be great if we could representative accounts like the vodafone and O2 people on boards. At least the readers would know who's speaking for each venue.

It would be great, there was actually movement on that front fairly recently so if anyone was interested in such a thing contact the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think I asked this before, but what would be the average cost to a pub (including discounts) of say a pint of heineken, a can of red bull, a shot of vodka?

Ok, well take out the lighting, heating, rent, staff, security, entertainment, exemptions, Vat, licence fees, Imro fees etc

Pint - 1.87 approx
    Vodka - 97cent aprox
    Red Bull - 1.02cent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Ok, well take out the lighting, heating, rent, staff, security, entertainment, exemptions, Vat, licence fees, Imro fees etc

Pint - 1.87 approx
    Vodka - 97cent aprox
    Red Bull - 1.02cent

I suppose the Foundry are selling a Vodka and red bull for €5 , so they'd make €3 on it to cover overheads.

I suppose it makes sense to try sell as much volume as possible. Even if they just manage to cover overheads they don't loose much, and they might feel they are undoing some of the damage they did last April.

Advertisement