Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

the foundry seems to be mentioned alot on this just sayin is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Yes but nobody is complaining about them. I think it's a super looking club. But what's wrong with people wondering aloud how they can make money at 2.50 a drink? And what's stopping them coming on here and giving their share of the story?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yes but nobody is complaining about them. I think it's a super looking club. But what's wrong with people wondering aloud how they can make money at 2.50 a drink?

There is a lot of complaining about the Foundry in this thread, and Rubys before it. The other places don't get half as much muck thrown at them, to be fair.
    And what's stopping them coming on here and giving their share of the story?

As they are obliged to pay the owners of Boards a fee for interacting, as are most businesses and representatives. Thats old news. Plus we already had one do it last week or so.

Sully, there's a big difference between complaining about somewhere, and pointing out obvious mistakes that the club was making. Jesus, if nothing else, we were actually assisting them.

And your next point... boards don't reply to people who seek representative accounts so stop singing me that tune please. Also, my point was, we didn't see anyone "officially" from foundry come on to give feedback. Unless they did and were immediately deleted/banned?
    e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I got to agree with ATBB, the foundry came in for flack when it first opened as none of us thought they were right with their pricing policy as everywhere else at the very least had free in while the foundry started off with €10 entry and full priced drink (every night of the week IIRC)

Anything since then has been a general discussion and just because some of us agree or disagree with the €2.50 drinks for example I think that's it's just that discussion.

I'd imagine they are happier to have us talking about them then not mentioning them at all. I don't think there is any kind of vendetta against the place. If anything Masons gets a much worse write up due to the crowd it gets.

I don't go to the foundry because it's not geared for me, I'd imagine the 17/20 year olds think it's the **** but as it happens I'd imagine the average poster here is 25/30 so that would explain why it wouldn't get talked up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully, there's a big difference between complaining about somewhere, and pointing out obvious mistakes that the club was making. Jesus, if nothing else, we were actually assisting them.

I'm just stating the obvious. I'm not saying whether what you are doing is good or bad.
    And your next point... boards don't reply to people who seek representative accounts so stop singing me that tune please.

Thats not my fault. Or any of our faults (mods wise). But we are told, and were reminded of this recently, that any business must first speak with the Community Managers before posting. So this tune will continue to be heard as much as we all hate to say it.
    Also, my point was, we didn't see anyone "officially" from foundry come on to give feedback. Unless they did and were immediately deleted/banned?
    e

Not that I can recall, but they probably know they would have to pay (some places have told me this). A lot of places wont anyway, they just do it in disguise.

Sully wrote: »
    I'm just stating the obvious. I'm not saying whether what you are doing is good or bad.

Thats not my fault. Or any of our faults (mods wise). But we are told, and were reminded of this recently, that any business must first speak with the Community Managers before posting. So this tune will continue to be heard as much as we all hate to say it.

Not that I can recall, but they probably know they would have to pay (some places have told me this). A lot of places wont anyway, they just do it in disguise.

Well I hope you've said to your admins that by not replying to businesses they're making your job a lot harder.

In a perfect world, businesses would come on here and be up front about where they work. I mean they have the right to reply to people surely. It doesn't make sense that someone can come on to boards, say something negative about a bar or club, and then the business must pay in order to respond to them.

This thread, and this forum attracts a lot of people to boards, and surely that's good for the advertising.

Well I hope you've said to your admins that by not replying to businesses they're making your job a lot harder.

In a perfect world, businesses would come on here and be up front about where they work. I mean they have the right to reply to people surely. It doesn't make sense that someone can come on to boards, say something negative about a bar or club, and then the business must pay in order to respond to them.

This thread, and this forum attracts a lot of people to boards, and surely that's good for the advertising.

Yup, and was told all the problems were sorted and they knew how hard it was. But im still waiting for a reply in relation to someone else and its not forthcoming yet.

But Boards.ie is a commercial(sh) site. Its a huge membership base and if businesses want to come on and interact, and use the membership base to get money, then you have to pay them a fee. I think its perfectly understandable. A lot of bigger businesses have no issue with this - and do so on a daily basis.

If its something more basic (just replying to something that might damage their business) I imagine they are allowed on free but they need to be verified. Like, whats to stop me setting up an account and pretending to represent The Foundry and call "ye all sorts for knocking my perfect business venture just because your a negative so and so etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Serious trouble outside masons tonight, one lad bottled, not a pretty sight

finally went into shortts for the first time ever last night....not a bad place must take a vernture to crystal next time when its actually opended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

yoyo83 wrote: »
    finally went into shortts for the first time ever last night....not a bad place must take a vernture to crystal next time when its actually opended!

Was in there last night @ 10 bar was stuffed and went up to the nightclub it wasn't to hectic but got busier later.
    I like the way you can move around the whole place

I always loved Ulysses and they've actually improved on it in there. It's a nice spot for the more mature customer. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Crystal was in no way busy when I went in anyway, they closed it and sent everyone downstairs as I was trying to head in at 1am.

Fight broke out between a guy and a bouncer as we were coming back in from the Shortt's part of the smoking area. They were kicking the crap out of each other towards the toilets, hitting into everyone, took another 3 bouncers to get yer man down the back stairs.

Jaysus, I'd say that's the first major incident they've had in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yeah at first I thought "Feck sake bloody eejit", but then it got pretty intense and they were really kicking the crap out of each other. It was them fighting in the small space outside the toilets, squashing in about 10 people around them.

Pretty much left straight away because the guy's friends were trying to be tough.

Hopefully a one off.

hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

When I was there I didn't find Crystal as 'relaxed' as Shortts.

there some smoking room in there waaaay bigger then the foundry !

Must say the only night I spent in Crystal I thought there was a fairly dodgy crowd around. I didn't see any fights but sometimes you can just feel it, ya know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

waterford in general looked fairly busy last night. went for a jar in the tower hotel, place was buzzing, hard pushed to find a seat.
    went for a stroll down the mall afterwards, the munster had a good crowd and a few people coming out of la palma, then john street looked packed as usual.
    they say there is nothing happening in waterford at the moment but i suppose despite everything people still enjoy their few pints of a saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

ziedth wrote: »
    Must say the only night I spent in Crystal I thought there was a fairly dodgy crowd around. I didn't see any fights but sometimes you can just feel it, ya know?

I might be wrong but I think you have stated that a few places seemed to have dodgy crowds over the past while. What would you consider dodgy? Only time I find town dodgy on a Friday or Saturday night is when all the clubs close, then I try and get out of there as quick as possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisedave wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I think you have stated that a few places seemed to have dodgy crowds over the past while. What would you consider dodgy? Only time I find town dodgy on a Friday or Saturday night is when all the clubs close, then I try and get out of there as quick as possible. :)

Only other time I've seen him say it is about Mason's and I'd agree with him there. I've only been upstairs there a handful of times and never by choice. Drive past there a lot.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Only other time I've seen him say it is about Mason's and I'd agree with him there. I've only been upstairs there a handful of times and never by choice. Drive past there a lot.

I did state I could be wrong :D Yeah Masons is quite rough up stairs but down stairs is actually good craic and it only tends to be scummy when upstairs don't open. I think Masons has done really well with the live music scene. I was walking home from the forum last night at about half 2 and there was a few fights outside Harvey's alright.

deisedave wrote: »

Like Nkay1985 said, I'd say the only places I have called dodgy are Crystal (and that was only the one night) & Masons and I'm happy to say that I haven't seen a dodgy crowd in Harveys,Shortts,Kazbar. Believe me, Dodgy is Dodgy I'm not the kind of guy who sees this kind of thing in my head. :)

ziedth wrote: »
    Like Nkay1985 said, I'd say the only places I have called dodgy are Crystal (and that was only the one night) & Masons and I'm happy to say that I haven't seen a dodgy crowd in Harveys,Shortts,Kazbar. Believe me, Dodgy is Dodgy I'm not the kind of guy who sees this kind of thing in my head.

You reckon Masons is dodgy down stairs? I think the band and the crowd is excellent most nights.

On a Saturday I honestly wouldn't be comfortable at times but I LOVE the bands they have so I'm happy to go in there. Upstairs is definitely worse. I have never had anything less then a ball in there on a quiet night like midweek during the summer.

Maybe it's a case that it's in my head that it's a little scummy so I'm aware of the bad eggs more ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Well last night was "Eventful" to say the least.
    Seen a fella get a glass to his face in The Foundry(blood everywhere in the smoking area)
    and another fella punching a youngwan repeatedly outside Apache.

Disgrace

-Kenny- wrote: »
    Well last night was "Eventful" to say the least.
    Seen a fella get a glass to his face in The Foundry(blood everywhere in the smoking area)
    and another fella punching a youngwan repeatedly outside Apache.

Disgrace

Was the fella dark skinned because I saw a fight with two girls and a black man outside Harveys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

I'm afraid it wasn't. Different more "rough" looking chap

Advertisement