Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Flash doesn't need to put a theme on a bar out there. Food, sports, comfy bar, nice background music. Hey presto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

ziedth wrote: »
    My guess! Flashes new place where Oskars used to be?
    Definately not Oskars - that much I do know - would be a bit silly making that over 23's if your going to run it on the same basis as Revolution with food/parties etc.
    It has to be somewhere in town to make it work for over 23s - This has actually revived the little bit of hope i had left of a decent night out in this town - Kudos to whoever is undertaking this - Id love to see it work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Has anyone heard how the new over 30s club downstairs in the Forum is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Escape is revamping and re branding to an over 23 venue soon...

Totally new decor, new music policy aswell.. I think it will do well, it could be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Escape ?

not sure even re branding the place could make much a difference at this stage.

ones people have there views on a place little can be done to change it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Has anyone heard how the new over 30s club downstairs in the Forum is going?

I just got an invite to it on Facebook and thoguht over 30 was a bit of a stretch. Over 25 maybe but who knows they might be onto something. Hadn't even heard of it before that though.

would most 30 year old people actually have an id with them :rolleyes:
    be nice to see how the forum works it. any body know when the first night is ment to open for the over 30s ?

sonyvision wrote: »
    would most 30 year old people actually have an id with them :rolleyes:
    be nice to see how the forum works it. any body know when the first night is ment to open for the over 30s ?
    Last Saturday week I think.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I just got an invite to it on Facebook and thoguht over 30 was a bit of a stretch. Over 25 maybe but who knows they might be onto something. Hadn't even heard of it before that though.
    I agree. Over 25s would be great. You'd have a wider audience, and still have a more mature crowd than downtown.

was any body in there last saturday ?
    im not near 30 so i doubt ill be allowed in for a quite drink :(
    yeah even if you stuck at over 23s wouldnt be a bad idea let people in if they look ok and are only 21 use they 23 rule to keep out the trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

sonyvision wrote: »
    Escape ?

not sure even re branding the place could make much a difference at this stage.

ones people have there views on a place little can be done to change it:rolleyes:

Is it definatley escape ? I see posters up for that amnesia thing there, stating best global club.
    I doubt it's the real Amnesia serious bit of false advertising there !

Nypd wrote: »
    Is it definatley escape ? I see posters up for that amnesia thing there, stating best global club.
    I doubt it's the real Amnesia serious bit of false advertising there !

Yeah i heard about them looking for staff going back like 2 3 months, from what i know its seams to be like a promotion group but i cant picture them staying every night, 5euro cover charge with 3 euro drinks,

crystal and the foundry have them still undercut so doubt it will do any thing since they were all ready free in and 3 euro drinks

well so i was told by a nice girl handing out cards

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

The Foundry did have thoese prices and the place was empty

Maybe so but I still didn't/don't like the music in there. Considering it's what they play on beat fm everyday I prefer something different when I go out.

Maybe so but I still didn't/don't like the music in there. Considering it's what they play on beat fm everyday I prefer something different when I go out.
    Simple solution : Stop listening to Beat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Problem is the majority of the crowd want a mix including chart, Waterford is just not big enough for an 80’s or retro bar, I could be wrong but didn’t they try it in shorts and it didn’t last, and the front lounge also Muldoon’s died of death that crowd are just not around anymore in the same numbers. Best of luck to the owners with it, but they are really going to need it

Problem is the majority of the crowd want a mix including chart, Waterford is just not big enough for an 80’s or retro bar, I could be wrong but didn’t they try it in shorts and it didn’t last, and the front lounge also Muldoon’s died of death that crowd are just not around anymore in the same numbers. Best of luck to the owners with it, but they are really going to need it

It was the main selling point of Shortts and was the reason it got off to such a good start. They incorporated some chart along the way but it was 80-20 in favour of the old stuff. Not sure what you mean about the front lounge..they've always been a live music bar and he music they play afterwards is strictly non chart.

There's no crowd around in big numbers so we can't really compare it to Muldoons. But are you telling me that the only way to get by in Waterford is to do the same as every other venue? Kazbar, masons, foundry, revolution, harveys all with the same music policy. A late "lounge" opening at 11 offering the best of the 80s and 90s wouldn't work? If the people of waterford are so reliant on chart music then I fear for it even more than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Simple solution : Stop listening to Beat! :D

Now why didn't I think if that!!!:rolleyes:

It was the main selling point of Shortts and was the reason it got off to such a good start. They incorporated some chart along the way but it was 80-20 in favour of the old stuff. Not sure what you mean about the front lounge..they've always been a live music bar and he music they play afterwards is strictly non chart.

There's no crowd around in big numbers so we can't really compare it to Muldoons. But are you telling me that the only way to get by in Waterford is to do the same as every other venue? Kazbar, masons, foundry, revolution, harveys all with the same music policy. A late "lounge" opening at 11 offering the best of the 80s and 90s wouldn't work? If the people of waterford are so reliant on chart music then I fear for it even more than I did.

From working behind a bar in town I just cant see it working, looking around on a Saturday night its a young ish crowd out, don’t get me wrong its good to be different and offer that to the public, Yes all those venues have the same music policy and it must be working for them, Personally I think 70's and 80's are past it:D but that’s just my opinion and I could well be proved wrong, time will tell

Who mentioned 70s: ;)

Who mentioned 70s: ;)

:D

• Advertisement

Define retro lounge tho ?
    Is it going to be kitted out with the lovely 80's patterns or 90's stainless steel as far as the eye can see look.

If it's just a music policy from what I gather Shortts is still catering for the older crowd with over 21's and getting them on a Saturday.

It seems the be the trend atm for bars and clubs to be catering for anything over 20's.

Foundry over 20's
    Shortts over 21's
    Retro lounge over 23's
    Forum over 30's

So who benefits or looses out,

I can't see escape doing anything again the place has a horrible name and tbh it was never anything but revs with the stairs taken out.
    The forum over 30's I heard was a sausage fest up there. (correct me if I'm wrong)

All we are missing now is the Bowery to reopen and cater for over 50's free blue rinse etc on entry 

It's about running the place properly.

In my opinion the only venue in this town that's being run well is the Kazbar.

They've created a model and they're sticking to it. They're active on Facebook and Twitter and take pride in being local. People know what to expect from them and they generally do quite well.

It's about running the place properly.

In my opinion the only venue in this town that's being run well is the Kazbar.

They've created a model and they're sticking to it. They're active on Facebook and Twitter and take pride in being local. People know what to expect from them and they generally do quite well.

What has being local got to do with it ?

What I mean is they're always posting about local events GAA etc.

What I mean is they're always posting about local events GAA etc.

Jeeze I hope the club owners reading this, they never thought to post about gaa

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but my point stands. The Kazbar keep on top of things like that. They have good staff in there and it's by far my favourite bar in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

went into masons last night and ordered mojitos but wasnt even proper ones no lime no mint it was basically crushed ice and the mixture and it was in a half pint glass..one of the lads said it to the bar staff and they basically told him to f off! not impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

yoyo83 wrote: »
    went into masons last night and ordered mojitos but wasnt even proper ones no lime no mint it was basically crushed ice and the mixture and it was in a half pint glass..one of the lads said it to the bar staff and they basically told him to f off! not impressed!
    No they didn't and if you took the time to read the signs up around, you would see that they are very clearly advertised as Smirnoff Mojitos which is a pre-made mixture from a tap so if you weren't impressed you should take it up with Diageo who supply the mix and the glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

yoyo83 wrote: »

I heard Shortts are doing the proper Mojitos (ie: RUM, mint, crushed ice, caster sugar, fresh limes, and tonic water), must try them some night, but they'd want to be fair savage to compete with my home made, fresh ingredient Mojitos!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I've been going out in Waterford for nearly 3 years now, and I can honestly say I've never seen so many scumbags/travelers out as tonight.
    Foundry was absolutely full of them. Seen 4-5 fights broken up on the dancefloor alone.
    Then afterwards there was more war outside Subway/Hillbilly's.

There was a strong Garda presence so they were obviously expecting trouble.

Advertisement