Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

deisedave wrote: »
    In fairness as long as they are over 18 they got just a much a right to be in that pub than you.
    course they do, I just have no interest in being in their company. I'm fairly sure they aren't interested in hanging out with a 36 year old woman either but I'd rather be around people who are and if it means paying full price for the privilege then that's ok with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Kanoe wrote: »
    yeah I fell head over heels for her, somebody put a pool table in the middle of the floor. But I saw the look in her eye before I dragged her to the ground with me, it was love mingled with fear or maybe it was the double captain and coke deal but it was good. and seriously, I hope she's ok.

She wants you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

chelloveks wrote: »
    She wants you
    sweet, hook us up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

bring back the headshops. Folks didn't have time for cheap drink when they were busy sprinting laps around the block on meow meow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Think (snip) are in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You know I can't leave that up without a link ATBB. Are they closed or something?

Edit: I'm not of course saying your lying. Just got to walk carefully these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Damn that was quick Ziedth. I was two minutes too late to get the gossip!

Nothing to stop you PM'img him :)

I'll say that it was a reported message but it could also be that I have no life and I'm reading boards at 11 on a Friday night.....

Haha. Nice one Ziedth.

Sure we'll just let the ball roll.

Haha. Nice one Ziedth.

Sure we'll just let the ball roll.

For what it's worth I believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

This place that may or may not be in trouble.... what does it rhyme with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Orange

• Registered Users Posts: 42 waterford1

maybe its the fact that i have a bangn hangover but i cant make sense of who it is anyone care to pm me ??

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Orange

Could there be an x in the name aswell perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Could there be an x in the name aswell perchance?

No. Where has an x in it's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Adyx wrote: »
    No. Where has an x in it's name?
    The exchange?

Mooley22 wrote: »
    The exchange?
    Oh yeah, was thinking he meant Oxygen but I don't think that could be in any more trouble. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Oh yeah, was thinking he meant Oxygen but I don't think that could be in any more trouble. :D

Think its called "Oygen" now - the letter X dissappeared a long time ago :)

Elbows22 wrote: »

Think its called "Oygen" now - the letter X dissappeared a long time ago :)
    True, probably a better name anyway

Mod Note :

Lads I said only a handful of posts ago to not write anything like this without an official link to back it up. Believe it or not what we post here does have consequences. Yes, I have heard the rumors too and it could very well be true.

I have cleaned up the thread but in the future just try keep in mind that a couple of years ago it was all over this forum and town that the woodlands hotel had closed overnight. Now, I had paid a €1k deposit for my wedding not to long before that so you can imagine how freaked out I was. Turned out obviously to be total crap.

I'd appreciate it if this was the end of the matter till if/when something official happens.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

I might be being a little too cautious but I'd prefer if we didn't name the place. Regulars of this thread will know why.

G S R wrote: »
    Thought there might be a bit of bull**** involved in it as one of the alleged pubs is actively advertising tonight on their facebook page.

No bull**** at all. These places don't just close immediately you know. (and they may not close at all) My original post stated that a premises in waterford was in trouble. And that has been proved to be true. Some deluded souls on this thread.

For the record, (or before someone mentions the word begrudging), I hope the venue in question sorts everything out and continues to operate as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

The premise is operating as usual under the same ownership and managment as always.

Harveys is free before 11 and 2 euro after.Normal drink prices tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

No bull**** at all. These places don't just close immediately you know. (and they may not close at all) My original post stated that a premises in waterford was in trouble. And that has been proved to be true. Some deluded souls on this thread.
    I was going by the one on the FB page which said they moved in and closed one of the premises in the last day or two. I wasn't having a go at your post at all.

I also hope they stay open as it's one of the better bars in town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Couple of things. Firstly, if you have proof of the accusation then post the source that is not a random website or facebook page. It has to be a RELIABLE source. That means, if its on a Waterford facebook page - its not reliable. If its in a reliable big paper (or local) - its fine, but ONLY if you provide a link to the article online OR a scan of the article in question. Quoting it yourself is NOT a valid source.

Secondly, there wont be any guessing in public. So "what does it rhyme with" and that type of stuff is out of the question. Id also ask that people do not offer to PM others, or ask others to PM them. We don't have access to your PMs, but asking publicly for such is out of the question.

Forgive the harsh tone but this is a serious accusation to be making and even with sources that we can confirm are valid, spin of discussions can also be dodgy.

This forum and topic is being actively monitored by most local nightlife businesses. They do act, and have not so long ago, when something is posted they don't like.

Any questions - send one of the mods a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I had a taxi driver tell me thursday night. It's the first time a taxi driver gave me some gossip that turned out to have an ounce of truth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

Couple of things. Firstly, if you have proof of the accusation then post the source that is not a random website or facebook page. It has to be a RELIABLE source. That means, if its on a Waterford facebook page - its not reliable. If its in a reliable big paper (or local) - its fine, but ONLY if you provide a link to the article online OR a scan of the article in question. Quoting it yourself is NOT a valid source.

Secondly, there wont be any guessing in public. So "what does it rhyme with" and that type of stuff is out of the question. Id also ask that people do not offer to PM others, or ask others to PM them. We don't have access to your PMs, but asking publicly for such is out of the question.

Forgive the harsh tone but this is a serious accusation to be making and even with sources that we can confirm are valid, spin of discussions can also be dodgy.

This forum and topic is being actively monitored by most local nightlife businesses. They do act, and have not so long ago, when something is posted they don't like.

Any questions - send one of the mods a PM.

Mod Note

I have removed other posts and highlighted the problem. Over modding, sure. But saving the ass of Boards, absolutely. Once someone posts up the article link and/or scan of the document - ill put back up some of the posts.

Without any actual proof I cannot leave a post up. If its in the worlds largest paper, just show me the damn article! (Forgive me for not rushing to the shop to buy the paper and verify)

Its just a precaution. I cant see the article, so I need to be 100% sure the posts are correct. Thats the job of the mods, and its what we are here to do. So if someone can give me or one of the mods the article, ill sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/Business/News/article809346.ece

Receiver moves on Mantra

Venue established by Darryl and Chris Kavanagh and inspireed by the Buddha Bar in Paris and Tao in New York will continue to trade as normal
    Tom Lyons Published: 30 October 2011
    Recommend (1) Comment (0) Print Follow News
    O ne of the biggest nightclubs in the country, which features an indoor waterfall and a gold statue of Buddha, has gone into receivership.

Bank of Scotland Ireland (BoSI) last week appointed Grant Thornton as receiver to the 30,000-sq-ft Mantra nightclub in Maynooth, Co Kildare.

The venue, set up by Darryl and Chris Kavanagh, opened in July 2009. It will continue to trade as normal as the receivers seek to sell the business.

Valerie Roe, the well-known nightclub hostess, helped to launch the nightclub. The Kavanaghs built it for €4.5m and claimed inspiration for the venue came from Buddha Bar in Paris and Tao in New York, two of the world’s greatest nightclubs.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor, the singer, attended the opening of Mantra, and later guests included Calum Best, the son of George Best, the footballer.

Latest accounts for Sheffs, the club’s parent company, show it made a loss of €168,640 in the year to November 2009, during its first five months trading. Harvey’s public house and beer garden in Waterford, another Kavanaghs venture, has also gone into receivership.

Sheffs’ accounts show BoSI has a charge on the €1m life policies of the Kavanaghs and that the bank has taken a second charge against a residential site they own in Dunmore East, Co Waterford.

• Advertisement

Thats that then. Cheers for the link Waterford Laddy. The staff I was talking to last night in there seemed confident that it wasn't going to close down so hopefully that is the case. I must I saw in there last night and for a bank holiday I thought it was quiet compared to the Harveys of old that would be jammed.

Interesting part of that article is Harveys lost nearly €170k in '09. Would I be right in saying that in that year Harveys abd Masons were the only "big" late bars open? Or was Rubys still open?

Advertisement