Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Grindylow wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. The debt would be with the owners, not the leasers.
    I meant that the bank would be in control so the person who is leasing it now would be basically leasing it off the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Mooley22 wrote: »
    I meant that the bank would be in control so the person who is leasing it now would be basically leasing it off the bank.

Same as Electric Avenue was when Tweedy went bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

the cheap drink was what tipped them over the edge imo, unsustainable to be selling at them prices and then trying to cope with overheads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Harvey's though (and i could be wrong) for some time have had the most expensive drinks in town for late night drinking. I have been going there for years and IMO I haven't seen it as busy as it was in "the boom" for 12 months anyway. I don't go out as often as others on this forum I'm sure but that has been my observation.

For all the faults I find in the place and there are a few I don't mind the drink prices as they are because it keeps the scummy element away. I genuinely hope it pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

ziedth wrote: »
    Harvey's though (and i could be wrong) for some time have had the most expensive drinks in town for late night drinking. I have been going there for years and IMO I haven't seen it as busy as it was in "the boom" for 12 months anyway. I don't go out as often as others on this forum I'm sure but that has been my observation.

For all the faults I find in the place and there are a few I don't mind the drink prices as they are because it keeps the scummy element away. I genuinely hope it pulls through.
    Without doubt!
    I remember asking for a bottle of Miller and handing in a fiver and being told it wasn't enough! That's a serious mark-up when you can get them for a euro in tesco!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Without doubt!
    I remember asking for a bottle of Miller and handing in a fiver and being told it wasn't enough! That's a serious mark-up when you can get them for a euro in tesco!

To be fair, they are highly unlikely to be buying them from Tesco who seem to get them at a better rate than the pubs and stuff.

Plus, pubs/clubs have huge overheads and if as the article suggest things were not booming for them - take what you can to try sort it out I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Sully wrote: »
    So I take it the whole "there in liquidation" was bull**** and they entered Receivership, briefly, but were given court protection for the moment?

Source: http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/133654.html

In the business world, that's known as a stay of execution. The crux here is the creditors and if they are not satisfied that they can be paid back within a given period of time, they will pull the plug and who can blame them.

I have not been to Harveys myself in months as I find the prices in there a rip off. It's obvious that the Kavanaghs had borrowed to the hilt from BoSI and are now in over their heads. Greed will be their undoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i heard that too bout dignity! Maintenance me arse i,d say the esb cut em off for not paying there leccy bill

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Went to see Katie Kim in the church on Patrick Street there on Saturday night. Lovely, intimate gig and her voice was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

i heard that too bout dignity! Maintenance me arse i,d say the esb cut em off for not paying there leccy bill

Apparently that's correct, quite a large bill by all accounts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Its highly unlikely that a pub would still be able to get supplies if it couldn't pay the ESB. Who would give them credit?

Its just maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

dayshah wrote: »

Its highly unlikely that a pub would still be able to get supplies if it couldn't pay the ESB. Who would give them credit?

Its just maintenance.
    Don.t know anything about their power supply but a well known repo man is driving their jeep around for the lasr week

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Don.t know anything about their power supply but a well known repo man is driving their jeep around for the lasr week
    The Viper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jayboi wrote: »
    The Viper?

Na man it's mocky dower ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Havent seen much about it here so letting all boardsies (aged 23 and over!) know about the mojo lounge, located where escape used to be. gonna be a cocktail lounge with a retro feel, the interior is coming along nicely and should be looking amazing for our launch night which is this saturday at 10pm, free tapas will also be served during the night. this is something i have wanted to see happen for a while so im really excited and hope it takes off! gives yet another choice of evening for people to enjoy! hoping to see you at the opening night, even if its just for the free food! ;) and i can guarantee there will be no kids in sight!

kryogen wrote: »
    Havent seen much about it here so letting all boardsies (aged 23 and over!) know about the mojo lounge, located where escape used to be. gonna be a cocktail lounge with a retro feel, the interior is coming along nicely and should be looking amazing for our launch night which is this saturday at 10pm, free tapas will also be served during the night. this is something i have wanted to see happen for a while so im really excited and hope it takes off! gives yet another choice of evening for people to enjoy! hoping to see you at the opening night, even if its just for the free food! ;) and i can guarantee there will be no kids in sight!

I saw something on Facebook about it,
    Sounds like a what the forum lounge are already doing only for over 23s. (logo looks like the forums old boho club logo also)

Is it just escape painted ?
    Bar in the same place, same naff dance floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Nypd wrote: »
    Sounds like a what the forum lounge are already doing only for over 23s. (logo looks like the forums old boho club logo also)

Yeah seems like it's just another silly attempt to revive Escape. Putting it at over 23's is already a bad marketing tactic, so clearly the owners are the same as those who ran Escape.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭sonyvision

flash is into every think these days ;)

wonder will the poor teens loose their teenage disco or will they just be their too on a saturday and friday night :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 life goes on

Yeah seems like it's just another silly attempt to revive Escape. Putting it at over 23's is already a bad marketing tactic, so clearly the owners are the same as those who ran Escape.. :P

why is over 23 a bad idea,if your not 18 in this town where else is there to go as far as i know the mojo lounge will cater for people who want a good night out but will not be hoarse from shouting over the music and watching kids pucking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

why is over 23 a bad idea,if your not 18 in this town where else is there to go as far as i know the mojo lounge will cater for people who want a good night out but will not be hoarse from shouting over the music and watching kids pucking

Because Waterford isn't Dublin, we don't have as large a population. We have 2 nights a week which are over 21's in The Foundry, and Masons does most business over the weekend because it's all 18-20 year olds home from college who actually go into town.

Escape has a reputation which exceeds itself (and it's not a good one!), so people over 23 will have common sense enough to actually avoid the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I actually think an over 23's could do well. Maybe I'm in the minority but generally I don't like to be surrounded by 17/21 year olds when I'm out. Don't get me wrong, I went out at that age and they are perfectly entitled too aswell. That's what the foundry and upstairs in masons is for.

Anyway, Grindylow has hit the nail on the head IMO. Escape has already gained a reputation for the younger age group. I don't know are people going to buy into it, I assume they are changing the name over the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 life goes on

Because Waterford isn't Dublin, we don't have as large a population. We have 2 nights a week which are over 21's in The Foundry, and Masons does most business over the weekend because it's all 18-20 year olds home from college who actually go into town.

maybe the reason for that is there is nowhere for people my age to go in town and if its being rebranded for over 23 then the majority of people that might like the mojo lounge will never have been in escape I for one am looking forward to it and will let you know what I think next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the joys of the basement of the Twisted Pepper in Dublin: banging techno, mixed age group, no hassle, just folks into the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Someone remind me which place escape was, or is?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Between Revs and Centra. Blue door.

Nypd wrote: »

It really seems like a place with no direction, just flip flopping from one idea to next.

The whole mojo lounge looks like it has taken parts from all the different venues in town and combined it,

At the end of the day, with it's music policy it's pitching for the forum crowd, will they venture to the dark depths of johns street to party at Escape ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

anyone know whats the story with oskars?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

kryogen wrote: »

I, for one, am pleased to see someone doing this.

As an auld one of 35, I would love somewhere to go without blaring chart music and 18-21 year olds everywhere for a nice glass of wine or a cocktail. I find myself drinking in hotel bars now instead of pubs because of this.

I hope this place does well and I'll try and check it out soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

yoyo83 wrote: »
    anyone know whats the story with oskars?!

rev crowd have it heard today

• Advertisement

Any word on Harvey's ?

Advertisement