Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Humbert Challenge 25.07.10 (HIM) Mayo

• 28-03-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just said I would start a fresh thread on this as previous thread veered off somewhat.
    For those who have not heard yet there is a half iron distance triathlon (1.9km Lake Swim, 90km Hilly Bike, 21km Run) being staged in Mayo this July. We're open for entires 8am 01.04.2010. Entries are strictly limited to 250 this year. We expect a decent level of interest so for those thinking of signing up I would urge you to do so this Thursday as we won't have scope to increase entries from the 250 limit set.
    Event details can be found at http://www.swinfordtrisports.com/humbert.html .The route of the race with full elevation profiles and exact distances are also on the site.
    Race will use timing chips and all competitors get a high quality technical t-shirt, hot meal and goody bag. Route will be fully marshalled with several aid stations throughout.
    We have a forum set up on the site now for any questions people may have. We've already have lots of interest so for those planning on competing I hope the training is progressing nicely (or like myself is starting tomorrow :D).
    MRR

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Athmosphere, Value, Organisation 8 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    87%
    AbhainncatweazlenomadiconimpulseMurraythreejjbsligotyler71 7 votes
    3 stars (average)
    12%
    d.runs 1 vote
    2 star (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Bump,

Open for entries (through www.swinfordtrisports.com) tomorrow morning 8am!

Elevation profile below to get ye all motivated!:D

elevation_graph.gif

MRR

Bump,

We opened for entries at 8am this morning!

Great to see so many sign up so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

4 stars (good)
    Well I'm in. Going to be home for the weekend so might bring the bike and see what this Windy Gap is like!

tyler71 wrote: »
    Well I'm in. Going to be home for the weekend so might bring the bike and see what this Windy Gap is like!

Good stuff Tyler! Enjoy the windy gap. IMO best approach is from Pontoon direction and towards Castlebar which is the same direction of the race. Nice grade one climb at the gap is followed by nice long, smooth and fast decent. Enjoy it and let us know how you get on. (Mind the sheep :D) MRR

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Had minor ideas about doing this event as I would love to step up . Drove the windy gap today for the first time and even in a car I had issues finding a correct gear , super cycle but not for the faint hearted , like nothing I have seen ( not a cyclist so no real exp) .
    Good luck and maybe if I get bike time I might go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm seriously considering this race, but the cycle has me worried! I dont know whether to just do it on the day, or drive up there soon and know how horrific it is ahead of time!

I'm seriously considering this race, but the cycle has me worried! I dont know whether to just do it on the day, or drive up there soon and know how horrific it is ahead of time!

Hi Dave, you should drive down and give it a lash before the race. Weather is supposed to pick up next weekend so would be ideal! Always good to know the route in advance of a race as you will know how to pace yourself much better than those unfamiliar with the route. Good luck with it!

Had minor ideas about doing this event as I would love to step up . Drove the windy gap today for the first time and even in a car I had issues finding a correct gear , super cycle but not for the faint hearted , like nothing I have seen ( not a cyclist so no real exp) .
    Good luck and maybe if I get bike time I might go for it.

Cheers toomuchdetail, hope you take the plunge and we see ya there on the 25th! I'm pretty new to two wheels myself so you won't be on your own!:D

Mayo road runner, question for ya!

Is the windy gap call that due to being windy (as in strong wind) or windy (as in roads that are not straight) I'm hoping its not due to strong breezes but I have to know!

Mayo road runner, question for ya!

Is the windy gap call that due to being windy (as in strong wind) or windy (as in roads that are not straight) I'm hoping its not due to strong breezes but I have to know!

Hi Dave,

AFAIK its called the Windy Gap as its pretty exposed and would be fairly windy a good part of the time. The roads are'nt exactly straight dual carriage way either! You should take a spin up and see for yourself. Pics are up on website as well. MRR

• Advertisement

Thanks MMR, looks like I'm just going to have to man up and do it!

Thanks MMR, looks like I'm just going to have to man up and do it!

Thats me boy Dave! Welcome on board! Good luck with the training over the next 4 months and see you the 25.07.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

4 stars (good)
    I said I would post this little bit from my log as it will give a little more info on what a first timer and poor cyclist thought of some of the cycle route

Off we went, a cracking day for it. We were doing more or less 50k of the 1/2 Ironman route. First stage was Castlebar to Pontoon, took it handy enough as we were both gossiping away. Pints were required when we arrived at Pontoon so a nice cider each as we admired the view of the lakes from Healys Pub.

So after a flat 20k this is where it started to stiffen up a bit, but all in all nothing too bad so far, roads were quiet at this stage and the scenery is great around there, there is still snow at the top of Nephin.

After a while we got to the main hills of the Windy Gap, the friend is a good cyclist so I couldnt stay with the pace, eventually at a lay by I was wasted and had to stop. Took off the outer shirt, had a few drinks of water. After a minute or two I was off again, literally just went around the corner and there was the friend at the top of the hill waiting. Away we went again, some very fast long stretches back down to Castlebar and then out the Breaffy Road to the gym. 50k finished in 2.08 so no great shakes pace wise, jumped into the pool for a lazy 200m to bring me up to a thousand for the day and then a long jacussi session to relax my weary arse.

Initial impressions of the route is that it is doable, the Windy Gap is tough but it comes near the start of the race, I hope to get up without stopping the next time seeing as I was so close this time. The road conditions are generally good, a few bumpy stretches just before the Windy Gap but nothing too bad, its not too technical a course, not too many corners. The 30k I missed most of that will be flat and fast back out the N5. The Pontoon road will have a bit of traffic but once past there we hardly saw another car till we hit Castlebar. Scenery is great as expected, very barren and windswept, reminded me a lot of the the Connemarathon route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

4 stars (good)
    Sounds good, i'll hopefully get down for a recce beforehand.

catweazle wrote: »
    I said I would post this little bit from my log as it will give a little more info on what a first timer and poor cyclist thought of some of the cycle route

Off we went, a cracking day for it. We were doing more or less 50k of the 1/2 Ironman route. First stage was Castlebar to Pontoon, took it handy enough as we were both gossiping away. Pints were required when we arrived at Pontoon so a nice cider each as we admired the view of the lakes from Healys Pub.

So after a flat 20k this is where it started to stiffen up a bit, but all in all nothing too bad so far, roads were quiet at this stage and the scenery is great around there, there is still snow at the top of Nephin.

After a while we got to the main hills of the Windy Gap, the friend is a good cyclist so I couldnt stay with the pace, eventually at a lay by I was wasted and had to stop. Took off the outer shirt, had a few drinks of water. After a minute or two I was off again, literally just went around the corner and there was the friend at the top of the hill waiting. Away we went again, some very fast long stretches back down to Castlebar and then out the Breaffy Road to the gym. 50k finished in 2.08 so no great shakes pace wise, jumped into the pool for a lazy 200m to bring me up to a thousand for the day and then a long jacussi session to relax my weary arse.

Initial impressions of the route is that it is doable, the Windy Gap is tough but it comes near the start of the race, I hope to get up without stopping the next time seeing as I was so close this time. The road conditions are generally good, a few bumpy stretches just before the Windy Gap but nothing too bad, its not too technical a course, not too many corners. The 30k I missed most of that will be flat and fast back out the N5. The Pontoon road will have a bit of traffic but once past there we hardly saw another car till we hit Castlebar. Scenery is great as expected, very barren and windswept, reminded me a lot of the the Connemarathon route

Great report Catweazle, Sounds like a good day out! We have asked the council to patch up those few short stretchs before the windy gap so it should be done before race day. Overall though the surface is pretty decent. My favourite part of the route is the fast decent after the gap. Surface is top notch and can get serious speed here.
    Took a dip in Callow Lake (where swim will be) yesterday. Not as cold as expected and stuck it out for c. 40 mins. I have a lot of work ahead of me on the swimming front. Planning min 3 pool sessions and one open water swim every week from now to race day and hopefully even more open water as we get into summer. Really enjoyed the lake swim. Anyways onwards and upwards!

4 stars (good)
    Hi lads, am hoping to go up on sunday for a trial run, does anyone have a good idea of the exact start in the lake, is it marked out???

Hi lads, am hoping to go up on sunday for a trial run, does anyone have a good idea of the exact start in the lake, is it marked out???
    Just PM'ed you there Catweazle

4 stars (good)
    Thanks MMR after all your instructions I decided I would wait and do it with your club some time beforehand. Below is excerpt from my 2nd attempt at the Windy Gap

Sunday - My second attempt at the Windy Gap (Cycle route for Swinford). Did the same route as last time from castlebar just over 50k. No cider stop this time as I was on my own. Slow going there was a strong headwind all the way out and I was trying to have some energy in the tank for the summit.

There is a decent incline just before the Windy Gap, this will need to be watched on the day as it will take it out of you just before you hit it.

Got to the Windy Gap, I had been told to watch out for road markings so I saw them, 1k to go and into the granny gear. The first 600m are the hardest, tried to stand while cycling but this was killing me so back down on the saddle. Legs screaming at me after 600m but there is a slight decrease in the climb for 60-70 metres so you could draw breath. The last 300m are tough but not as bad as the first 600m, it definetly helped me to know where I was this time as I would have given up again only for I knew it was close. An auld guy with a stick was walking down it as I was coming up, he was skitting laughing at the struggle I was going through. So got up it this time without stopping.

The next stretch into Castlebar is superfast, was well over 60k for a lot of it. It still has some steep hills after the Gap but with nice downhills beforehand these need to be attacked at speed as you are almost up them before you have to pedal.

At about 45k the back started killing me again, i need more time in the saddle

Road surface is generally good except for the area directly before the Gap, I think Mayo Road Runner said the council are going to resurface before the race. Country roads as well hardly saw a car on the route all day.

4 stars (good)
    Sounds good. I'm going to try and get down for a practice spin in the next few weeks.

Thanks MMR after all your instructions I decided I would wait and do it with your club some time beforehand. Below is excerpt from my 2nd attempt at the Windy Gap

Sunday - My second attempt at the Windy Gap (Cycle route for Swinford). Did the same route as last time from castlebar just over 50k. No cider stop this time as I was on my own. Slow going there was a strong headwind all the way out and I was trying to have some energy in the tank for the summit.

There is a decent incline just before the Windy Gap, this will need to be watched on the day as it will take it out of you just before you hit it.

Got to the Windy Gap, I had been told to watch out for road markings so I saw them, 1k to go and into the granny gear. The first 600m are the hardest, tried to stand while cycling but this was killing me so back down on the saddle. Legs screaming at me after 600m but there is a slight decrease in the climb for 60-70 metres so you could draw breath. The last 300m are tough but not as bad as the first 600m, it definetly helped me to know where I was this time as I would have given up again only for I knew it was close. An auld guy with a stick was walking down it as I was coming up, he was skitting laughing at the struggle I was going through. So got up it this time without stopping.

The next stretch into Castlebar is superfast, was well over 60k for a lot of it. It still has some steep hills after the Gap but with nice downhills beforehand these need to be attacked at speed as you are almost up them before you have to pedal.

At about 45k the back started killing me again, i need more time in the saddle

Road surface is generally good except for the area directly before the Gap, I think Mayo Road Runner said the council are going to resurface before the race. Country roads as well hardly saw a car on the route all day.

Nice report Catweazle. Knowing the route will stand to you a lot on the day.
    Let me know when your down next and I can arrange for group swim session in Callow. We're out there quite a bit anyways so will be no hassle to arrange.
    We're in the process of meeting with coucil to get that bad mile before the windy gap patched up so will be more tolerable on the day.
    Good luck with the rest of the training to all those taking part.
    Still places left so spead the word to any club members that may have it in them

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Let me know when you have a date I might spin up, although it will be a slow bike for you with me along :o

Let me know when you have a date I might spin up, although it will be a slow bike for you with me along :o
    Its a slow bike for everyone on that route Catweazle :p
    Favourite part is the decent after the gap. The pain just before it is well worth it imo.
    Sound will post up here the next group cycle of the gap and maybe a few others might join up as well

4 stars (good)
    Not long to go now. I just mapped the bike and run out and the elevations listed on the website are way out. Double infact.
    Bike -> http://www.mapmyrun.com/ride/ireland/-swinford/239127904106052014
    run -> http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/callow/406127904132739969

Thats a nice surprise as I was planning for some big hills.

4 stars (good)
    The hills arent too bad at all nomadic, there is one steep hill at the Windy Gap, which is less than a mile. This is steep and tough but its over soon, (keep an eye on the road up, the distances up it are marked) be cautious on the run into the Gap, there is a long drag just before it which will sap the strength from your legs at just the wrong time.

There is also a couple of hills before the gap just after you take the right after Healeys pub, but these are not too bad and come early. A calm day would be nice, the 2nd day I did a 50k loop of the course I was into a strong headwind all the way from Castlebar to Pontoon. Have you got the tri-bars yet, these will be a big bonus as there are a lot of flat, fast, long straights. Make sure your back is used to them, I am slowly building the time up down on them, i would hope to be down on them for 50k of the race

I am not speaking for myself by any means but i think the strong cyclists would call the overall route fast with a few nasty stretches. There are some stretches coming into Castlebar where if you are brave you can go as fast as you like.

Did nothing about the run route but I hear its flat :)

4 stars (good)
    No tri bars yet. I should have them in the next few days. Prabably a bit late to get used to them for swinford but I'll see how they go. I'm definately going to take a spin up the windy gap the day before. I'm thinking I might do the 40k loop from pontoon to castlebar and back. I really want to scout out the descent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

4 stars (good)
    Thanks guys for bike route reports. Seems very appealing. Pity I can't get in a recce in before the day but looking forward to this one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Abhainn wrote: »
    Thanks guys for bike route reports. Seems very appealing. Pity I can't get in a recce in before the day but looking forward to this one now.

+1

correct me if Im wrong here guys, but are their road markings (sprayed) indicating km's to top of climb ? if not - no biggie but it'd be handy since there isnt a snow balls of getting a reccie done before sunday week.

4 stars (good)
    Yes there is for the Windy Gap anyways, I always enjoy seeing the KOH as I stagger over the top. I think there is a 1k, 400m and 200m marker on the road as you go up. You will see a lay-by on the right with some type of cross at the back of it, thats the final steep bit. I think they are going to have an aid station there. There is about another 100m of climb after that but the worst is over.

As an aside straight after the Gap, there is about a 10-15k stretch to Castlebar and these also have some rolling hills. There is a downhill section into each of them so power through them in the big gears.

Coming into Castlebar there is a long downhill straight although it is a narrow road, you will get up to average 60-70k here. I always worry about cars coming out of driveways here but I hope drivers will be aware of the race on the day. The road surface is great here and generally it is good for almost all of the route except for Bofeenaun which Mayoroadrunner was hoping that the council would sort before the day

Coming into Castlebar, you will need to break hard to make the turn coming off a big downhill section but I presume marshals will be warning you here in plenty of time. Its not too technical a course so there wont be too many sharp bends

Apart from that area most of the rest of the bike course will be flat and fast.

Distance markers will be in kms also

from the profile and the descriptions already available it all sounds very good. If we can ensure good weather for the spin that'd also help ;) and a tailwind with 21km downhill section for the run as well !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

I'm really forward to this race. Weather permitting - I intend to tip around the bike course either Sat 17th (PM) or Sun 18th (AM)

Could someone please suggest a suitable place to leave my car (either Swinford or Callow)?

mcdonrob wrote: »
    I'm really forward to this race. Weather permitting - I intend to tip around the bike course either Sat 17th (PM) or Sun 18th (AM)

Could someone please suggest a suitable place to leave my car (either Swinford or Callow)?

Hi mcdonrob, There is parking down at Callow. Just take the turn off for callow and about 200 metres down that road you should see parking area on the left.
    If you are going down on Sunday morning you should see a good few cars down at Callow as swim session will be taking place around the route of the Humbert race (1.9km). We are meeting up down there at 10am and there will be kayak support to assist.
    Anyone who wishes to join in on the swim must be a member of TI for insurance purposes.
    Hope the the next 9 days are injury free for everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

I did the bike loop Saturday evening. The rain held off but a nasty SSW had me trying to get nice and low whenever I could. It's a really nice route. Got directions along the way from another cyclist out on the road from Castlebar to Pontoon. As I check now online I think I added a bit more onto the route than I should have. Instead of following the road to the left on the downhill before Turlough, I turned right into Turlough and then onto Ballynegggin before I stopped and checked a map. Cut down onto the N5 from there. Looking forward to next weekend.
    Hope the water was warm for this morning's swim :) it looked a tad forbidding on Sat night as I left Callow with the wind, rain and clouds rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jjbsligo

4 stars (good)
    I am really looking forward to this race also...I'm part of a relay team where my sister is doing the swim,my brother the cycle and I'm running. Each discipline is a challenge for us all so there's a mix of nerves and excitement at this stage!!
    Hope it go's well for everyone.

4 stars (good)
    A lot of boardies doing this so good luck to all of ye, weather looks smashing, a little bit of light drizzle will be just the job on the run.

Sunday will be a degree or two warmer again with light west to southwest breezes. There will be a little patchy light rain or drizzle in places - mainly in the west and north of the country but many parts in the east and south will have a mainly dry day.

Best of luck to you Cat

I was signed up and raring to go, but my return to Junior GAA ended in agony and no running in last 7 weeks so cant do it now.

Let us all know how you got on.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Best of luck to you Cat

I was signed up and raring to go, but my return to Junior GAA ended in agony and no running in last 7 weeks so cant do it now.

Let us all know how you got on.

Sorry to hear that Dave, Junior Football, the scourge of triathlete training :(

No doubt I will be writing up a lengthy report over a mojito or two in holidays if the missus lets me take out the laptop

4 stars (good)
    The weather is looking good alright. I'm really not sure what to wear.
    I'll be ok with tri shorts for the whole thing but will it be a little chilli wearing a tri top? Cycling jersey? Tri top with base layer?
    I'll probably pack the lot and see how warm it is on the morning. I'd rather not have to change clothes lots.

nomadic wrote: »
    The weather is looking good alright. I'm really not sure what to wear.

I was thinking jeans and t-shirt but will definitely bring the baggies and sandles since it might turn out nice ;)sorry ... tis a friday and we're racing this weekend so ...
    I'll be ok with tri shorts for the whole thing but will it be a little chilli wearing a tri top? Cycling jersey? Tri top with base layer?
    I'll probably pack the lot and see how warm it is on the morning. I'd rather not have to change clothes lots.

Endurance tri-suit saw me through 2 long distance events last year - its pockets in the back make a nice spot to stash tubes of endurance powder for bottle replenishing. Ive packed the arm warmers just in case but the weather this summer has been so good its unlikely Ill wear them.

My suggestion would be
    tri shorts
    tri top - optional use of baselayer (if short sleeve base layer then potential use of arm warmers on bike)

Bon Chance

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tri3

Are tri shorts enough for a long distance event like this especially since the roads in places will be quite bumpy?

Would you not need full bike shorts? I plan on putting them on over the tri shorts for the bike and then taking them off for the run.
    interested wrote: »

My suggestion would be
    tri shorts
    tri top - optional use of baselayer (if short sleeve base layer then potential use of arm warmers on bike)

Bon Chance

tri3 wrote: »
    Are tri shorts enough for a long distance event like this especially since the roads in places will be quite bumpy?

The endurance specific trisuits generally have a slightly bigger chamois ... only slightly ... but Ive never had any problems with them in any races on any roads. Good bike fit, descent saddle ... what could go wrong.
    Would you not need full bike shorts? I plan on putting them on over the tri shorts for the bike and then taking them off for the run.

Its a personal thing really and I guessed based on what you've practiced. Ive never employed that approach either training or racing but it would certainly ensure you wont get saddle sore. You might get a little warm and/or run a risk of unwanted rubbing elsewhere. Mind you - most problems like that can be avoided by liberal application of body glide or similar.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)

I was just going to go with the tri suit myself, hopefully the heaving and straining I will be doing should keep me warm.

Ya going to throw a pair of cycling shorts over the tri suit myself for the bike, worked a treat the last training ride i did, except for forgetting about them and running off down Salthill prom with the cycling shorts on (I got some impressed looks from the ladies :D) , socks too this time as my runners are desperate for giving me blisters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I did Kenmare last year with a trisuit and it was fine. All depends what you're used to I guess.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend. Should be a good one. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Good luck on this tomorrow , its no1 on my list next year , more miles less cake for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Good luck to everyone doing the Humbert challenge tomorrow.

4 stars (good)
    Just back from registration and a quick spin over the windy gap. Lovely conditions today, hopefully more of the same tomorrow. Good luck everyone. I'm no 8 and will be on a white bianchi with red saddle and bar tape if anyone wants to say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Best of luck to everyone doing this today. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
    Defo on my list of tris to do in the next few years

4 stars (good)
    great day in mayo today. Very well done to swinford tri club. Superbly organised today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Well done to everyone that took part today, it was a very well organised event, was cheering yee on along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭pauric1

well done to the Swinford crew, a really well run event that ran very smoothly. more like a five years running operation than an inaugural event. a few of the other events out there that have been going for years could do with looking at you guys to see how it should be done.

thanks, looking forward to next year

P

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

4 stars (good)
    A fantastic day out . Top class event and a huge success for Swinford Tri Club. Hard to believe it was an inaugural event as it certainly surpassed any event I have entered in terms of high standards. Very enjoyable, lots of stewards the whole way round the course and lots of local support also. Massive attention to detail – sponges during the run route and even had an extra steward arrive in his van who provided additional water and fruit on route. The cycle route was tough and was glad to complete the ‘dreaded’ gap early on in the course. Highly recommend this one for next year’s calendar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement