Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grizzly Bear

Options
  • 28-03-2010 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

I'm going to The Marquee in Cork for the sole purpose of seeing Midlake, but they are second to the headline act, Grizzly Bear.

Who are they? Any good? Best songs/albums? Should I just head to the pub, with my head full of juicy Midlake songs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'm going to The Marquee in Cork for the sole purpose of seeing Midlake, but they are second to the headline act, Grizzly Bear.

Who are they? Any good? Best songs/albums? Should I just head to the pub, with my head full of juicy Midlake songs?

They're apparently one of the biggest acts going at the moment. Only heard a few of their songs on the radio and really liked what I heard, but haven't actually got around to giving them a proper listen to yet. The Veckatimest album is supposed to be excellent indeed. I certainly wouldn't be heading to the pub after Midlake anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Scien's recommendations are pretty spot on for the uninitiated.

However, if you're so keen to see Midlake, you'll probably want to get up the front, so if anything, I'd endorse getting there early for Camera Obscura.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I love them. One of my favourite bands atm.
    Go see them OP, and check out Vecatimest if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Grizzly Bear... Marquee? :eek:

I'm there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Grizzly Bear are terrific, but I'd argue that their recorded stuff doesn't nearly do them justice. They can come across as a bit snoozy on disc, but they're pretty captivating in person, substantially heavier, and the songs are great. Veckatimest isn't an album that'll grab you right away, but if you pop it on the headphones for a bit, it'll really get under your skin.

The songs that caught my attention were Deep Blue Sea and Two Weeks. There's a good chance you've heard Two Weeks without knowing it. :)

Service Bell is amazing, but I don't know if they'll play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I thought they were quite self indulgent in Vicar Street to be honest..

Still enjoyed the gig though...

Mostly...

• Site Banned Posts: 12 ballyturtles

I think they are pretty good, definitely wouldn't mind seeing them! Very easy listening..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

I think they are pretty good, definitely wouldn't mind seeing them! Very easy listening..

Saw them at End of the Road in England last year. Very good live band but don't expect dancing or anything ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I've never heard of them, they sound pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Playing Iveagh Gardens on July 18th and Galway Arts Festival on Friday July 19th.

Tickets on sale Friday.

http://www.hotpress.com/Grizzly-Bear/news/Grizzly-Bear-for-Dublin--Galway/9561661.html?new_layout=1

Advertisement