Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregggged Posting for tLL

Options
  • 28-03-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I remember a while ago this was brought up in a thread and the mods at the time didn't seem to mind if it were implemented. Seeing as there seems to be a no go on the Ladies Health Forum, can we discuss having the unregged option in tLL?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

+1 excellent idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i would think that it would be a smarter idea to have a sub forum of the LL (as i think you suggest) that would be either private, or probably a more suited option would be that it would be a sub forum of the LL and only the sub forum would allow un reg posters.

A ladies health forum seems to be a good idea though tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Well I was told the gentlemans club has unreg posting so why not TLL? There may be some things that people want to post but want to do it anonymously. It'd open the threads up a good bit indeed.

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep sounds like a plan alright. May open up more subjects. Adds a bit of overhead for the mods though, so more may be needed for coverage. People can get impatient if their post doesnt come up almost instantly. It took up a fair amount of my time anyway in PI.

My only doubt and this would go for tGC too, is that unregged post subjects are usually (if not in the majority) PI/RI subjects. Where do we draw the line, or do we end up moving posts there?

On the women's(or men's) health forum front the danger is medical advice. It's common enough that line is crossed in tLL threads as it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Wibbs wrote: »
    My only doubt and this would go for tGC too, is that unregged post subjects are usually (if not in the majority) PI/RI subjects. Where do we draw the line, or do we end up moving posts there?

I was thinking maybe for more health related or even body image related threads, rather than relationships or something more serious like suicide. However there may also be some discussion based threads in LL that people don't feel comfortable posting in such as domestic violence, rape, abortion etc

It would probably be harder work for you all if it were in the main forum. How would you feel about a separate sub forum as snyper suggested called LL Anon or something? Or would that just kill the main forum itself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Yep sounds like a plan alright. May open up more subjects. Adds a bit of overhead for the mods though, so more may be needed for coverage. People can get impatient if their post doesnt come up almost instantly. It took up a fair amount of my time anyway in PI.

On the women's(or men's) health forum front the danger is medical advice. It's common enough that line is crossed in tLL threads as it is.

Just to back Wibbs up on this, it will add an over head but it will benefit the forum, it would be no problem to add mods if there was more work involved

People do get impatient or don't understand why their post hasn't appeared, I have seen unreg posts in PI where it has been half an hour before I ahve gotten to approve it and in this time the person has registered an account to set up the thread, it doesn't matter that it has been clearly outlined in the charter and stickies on how to post Unreg so more Mods might be needed
    WindSock wrote: »
    I was thinking maybe for more health related or even body image related threads, rather than relationships or something more serious like suicide. However there may also be some discussion based threads in LL that people don't feel comfortable posting in such as domestic violence, rape, abortion etc

It would probably be harder work for you all if it were in the main forum. How would you feel about a separate sub forum as snyper suggested called LL Anon or something? Or would that just kill the main forum itself?

I don't think a seperate forum would make it less work to be honest, if anything adding a sub forum makes more work, from my point of view there should be no major issues with having Unreg posts in the main forum, as you ponited out it might help people post in some topics where they were not comfortable before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Bonito wrote: »
    Well I was told the gentlemans club has unreg posting so why not TLL? There may be some things that people want to post but want to do it anonymously. It'd open the threads up a good bit indeed.

+1

Pre pubesent boys making unreg postings about boobies id imagine could be a problem

There are womens health issues that im sure members would like to ask about but dont want everyone knowing that they have an itchy groin.

The cavet i would make on this subject is one that is carried over from the PI forum- and that would be that the forum doesnt give out medical advice,which is tricky because - the reason many would go there is to look for that - i would say talking to the PI mods before hand or getting some pi mods on board for a while would be an idea worth considering.

snyper wrote: »
    Pre pubesent boys making unreg postings about boobies id imagine could be a problem

The posts ahve to be approved before they go up on the site so it is easy enough to delete these before they cause a problem
    There are womens health issues that im sure members would like to ask about but dont want everyone knowing that they have an itchy groin.

The cavet i would make on this subject is one that is carried over from the PI forum- and that would be that the forum doesnt give out medical advice,which is tricky because - the reason many would go there is to look for that - i would say talking to the PI mods before hand or getting some pi mods on board for a while would be an idea worth considering.

Silverfish and Xiney are currently PI Mods and Wibbs unfortunately is no more so they are well catered for in experience in this area

But if they think they need help I am sure they will have people in mind, Unreg posting has spread beyond PI to a few forums now so there is a selection of people available to them

I think that if there's the issue of an increase in borderline PI/RI threads in TLL after allowing unreg posting maybe a good idea would be to add 1 or 2 of the PI/RI mods to the list of TLL mods and maybe one new mod?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think that if there's the issue of an increase in borderline PI/RI threads in TLL after allowing unreg posting maybe a good idea would be to add 1 or 2 of the PI/RI mods to the list of TLL mods and maybe one new mod?
    As The Recliner said that aspect of it is already covered. We already have two current and one ex PI/RI mods so that part isnt the prob anyway. Since anon posts have to be approved the usual show us yer tits morons will be cut off at source so thats not an issue.

The dilution of PI may be one issue? I dunno, but its worth trying though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Maybe add in to the charter something like "If you are planning to post unreg but don't know whether your thread should be here or in PI/RI just pm [mod name here] and we can advise you on where you should place your thread"

The dilution of PI may be one issue? I dunno, but its worth trying though.

I don't think it will have too much impact on PI

Any PI/RI type threads can be moved to where they should be and if people are using it to look for medical advice then the same rules apply and it is not something that will be missed from either forum

If anything it opens up another avenue for people to post in TLL and it may help someone who needs it which can only be a good thing

Maybe add in to the charter something like "If you are planning to post unreg but don't know whether your thread should be here or in PI/RI just pm [mod name here] and we can advise you on where you should place your thread"

Doesn't that make the whole anon thing void if you have to PM a mod first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

The only issue I think that would arise from this is the "possiblility" that TLL loses its close-knit/personal touch and becomes very impersonal and mechanic.

The only issue I think that would arise from this is the "possiblility" that TLL loses its close-knit/personal touch and becomes very impersonal and mechanic.
    Maybe but at the mo i wont post in there as i dont want people knowing too much personal stuff about me. If I could do it anon then i'd happily post in there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Kiera wrote: »
    Maybe but at the mo i wont post in there as i dont want people knowing too much personal stuff about me. If I could do it anon then i'd happily post in there.

I was against this at the start because to be honest, I just saw it as an opportunity for people (trolls?) who post outside of the tLL rules to get their charter-breaking posts in anonymously in the hope it'd get approved.

However, if it is as you say, and I think it may be, then I'd be for it, if it meant people wanted to post stuff that's not quite PI/RI material but yet still personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i think it could work v well, as it does in TGC

no need for a subforum, imo, would just become too disjointed and probably wouldnt get a lot of traffic

the one concern i'd have is that it would become a minefield for medical advice, would have to be heavily modded from that point of view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pre moderated posts which break the rules of the forum and of the site just get deleted with out anyone other the mods seeing them.

All in favour, say "I". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

All in favour, bring it to the attention of trustees :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'd go with a sub-forum idea where you could post anon.
    Maybe but at the mo i wont post in there as i dont want people knowing too much personal stuff about me.

Having your personal life discussed would totally suck..

Abitar wrote: »
    Having your personal life discussed would totally suck..
    If you put it out there under your user name then you're fair game. This is why anon is an excellent idea.

If you put it out there under your user name then you're fair game. This is why anon is an excellent idea.

Yeah, I didn't mind posting some personal stuff when I first joined boards, but now I am gone more 'mainstream' as WindSock, (ie, I have some pics up and attend events etc) there are some things I don't want people to know about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Agreed - if you post anything up you have to be prepared to stand by it and have people that maybe you hadn't intended to know, know about it.
    I don't think I say anything on boards that I wouldn't say in real life and there's certain things I don't want people to know so I wouldn't say it.
    Yeah, I didn't mind posting some personal stuff when I first joined boards, but now I am gone more 'mainstream' as WindSock, (ie, I have some pics up and attend events etc) there are some things I don't want people to know about me.
    Yup I'm the same, you don't realise at first how easy it is to put so much info out there by accident.

Regarding unreg posting, well I'm sure it could be a good idea if the forum and the mods are up for it. Drawing the line as said might be hazy at first but I'm sure the mods are more than able to figure out if it belongs in PI/RI moreso than tLL.
    Sometimes I guess like in tGC you just want a specific gendered response to a situation. And no you wouldn't want certain aspects of your personal life discussed on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I completely and utterly agree, and it is only with experience you learn these things. I do feel however that something should be added to the charters in the more personable forums that whatever you decide to divulge is at the users own descretion. It is a sad fact that the internet attracts people who take unhealthy interests in others lives.

Anon posting maybe too little too late for some.

What I would be watching out for with the anon posting though, is others using it as a platform to make sly digs at others, but I have no doubt the mods will see it when they do and will unapprove the posts.
    Still though, I think the benefits would outweigh the negatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

What I would be watching out for with the anon posting though, is others using it as a platform to make sly digs at others, but I have no doubt the mods will see it when they do and will unapprove the posts.

Good point but sure people have sly digs from regg'd posts too!
    I'll be honest I'm not a fan of tLL but it has a big following, and I'm sure unregg'd posts would be beneficial if used in the right way in there. Obviously the right rules would have to be laid down for it to not turn into tLL PI/RI but I think the mods in there are more than capable of sorting that side of things out.

Sure it happens all over boards anyway. If the anon posts are pre-modded that would seldom happen.

star-pants wrote: »
    Good point but sure people have sly digs from regg'd posts too!
    I'll be honest I'm not a fan of tLL but it has a big following, and I'm sure unregg'd posts would be beneficial if used in the right way in there. Obviously the right rules would have to be laid down for it to not turn into tLL PI/RI but I think the mods in there are more than capable of sorting that side of things out.

Yeah, I certainly think for helping to encourage others to get the smear test and things done it would be beneficial, as it is what you would expect to be discussed in LL. Also the contraceptive and bits and bobs thread seem to have a lot of low post count posters which suggests to me that there are a few re-regged posters using it already.

• Advertisement

It happens in PI a bit, it is usually easy enough to spot if you ahve been following a thread

I have zero tolerance for people using the Unreg facility to troll or get at other posters and will ban the registered account for it, have banned some permanently depending on the offence
    Sure it happens all over boards anyway. If the anon posts are pre-modded that would seldom happen.

The Unreg posts are pre modded, they ahve to be approved by the Mods before they appear on the forum, it certainly helps cut down on muppetry even if it delays the post a while

Some will slip through the cracks as the Unreg posts can be seen out of context if not being approved on thread but there is a good bunch of Mods in TLL and they will sort it out

Advertisement