Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Translation/ Legal Translation with Irish

Options
  • 28-03-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I'm an Arts student in UCC, will be going into Final Year in September. I've recently been looking into doing a Masters in Legal Translation through Irish, and have been looking at options available.
    I know that there's a specific Legal Translation Masters offered at NUIG, and that there's a more general Translation through Irish Masters at UCD, and that there is also a similar Masters offered at Queens, Belfast.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done one of the above Masters, or currently studying? I'd love to get any feedback at all regarding them.
    Also, if there are people who have completed one of these Masters, have you been able to secure a job here or abroad in the Legal Translation field, or in Translation in general?

Finally, if there is anyone currently working in Translation here in Ireland, I'd love to know what the predominent areas of translation are, who the main employers are etc?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Just to let you know I've been offered a fair bit of translating work, and I only have a BA in Irish, and wasn't even looking for the work. It helps a lot if your lecturers know you as someone who can deal with a lot of Irish grammar.
    As for the courses, I've heard they're good. You could also do an MA in Irish and then the professional translation exam. The advantage of that is that a general MA may be more attrative if you ever wanted to teach Irish, either at secondary or thrid level (most likely PLC level with an MA).
    But I'm sure the course you mention above would more directly qualify you if you're sure that's what you would like to do.
    I've seen a good fwe jobs come up both here and in the EU for Irish translators so you should be pretty well placed with it.

Advertisement