Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poets Predictions

Options
  • 28-03-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Poets Predictions.

or

Anyone hear any hints or tips from teachers?

Poetry Predictions 232 votes

Eavan Boland
    0% 0 votes
    TS Eliot
    31% 74 votes
    Patrick Kavanagh
    12% 29 votes
    John Keats
    19% 46 votes
    Michael Longley
    5% 12 votes
    Adrienne Rich
    20% 47 votes
    Derek Walcott
    6% 16 votes
    William Butler Yeats
    3% 8 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Eavan Boland is likely, although I don't like her much.

I'd love to see Rich on the paper, but I don't think it's going to happen as she was up in 2008.

Kavanagh would be great, and there is a chance of him coming up.

Longley was on the cancelled paper last year, but not on the replacement paper, so they might put him on this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Please God let Eliot and/or Yeat be on it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

My teacher reckons Boland, Kavanagh, Yeats and Longley are coming up. I hope Boland and Kavanagh come up but there's no way to know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Boland
    Kavanagh
    Yeats
    Longley

two or more of these four probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Its Yeats anniversary this year is'nt it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

My teacher reckons Boland, Kavanagh, Yeats and Longley are coming up. I hope Boland and Kavanagh come up but there's no way to know really.

My teacher reckons 3 if not all of these are likely to come up. Would never take the risk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

I can't see four Irish poets appearing in June, to be honest. Yeats is 1865-1939 so no anniversary.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

1. Boland
    2. Yeats
    3. Kavanagh
    4. Elliot
    5. Longley
    Starting in order of who's most likely to come up. My teacher has given some fairly likely predictions before and over the last 5 years, has never been wrong. And her reasons for picking them 5 seem strong enough, without explaining them there. By the sounds of things, Longley will be only on the contingency paper, he doesn't seem to be a bet at all this year for the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Boland will probably come up. And it wouldn't hurt to do Rich either as she has only been on the paper once but Boland has been on twice already. If either of those came up, I'd be happy out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

seanaor wrote: »
    My teacher reckons 3 if not all of these are likely to come up. Would never take the risk though.

I hope they're both right! Yeah it'd be crazy if you just knew four because on the day the other four could come up. Unlikely but you'd be kicking yourself if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Quite conveniently all of the predicted poets are the only ones my teacher has covered!

Do you think Yeats will come up? I hate Yeats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

Does anyone feel like they only know two well even thought were "learning 4/5"?
    So I have Longley,Rich and Yeats left to revise... i'm gonna learn two of them which dya think are the best two to learn? I'm thinking Yeats and Longley...even though I don't like Longley so ill only learn him really vaguely and pray Boland, Kavanagh or Yeats comes up!!

more voters please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

I would love either Boland, Rich or Longely to come up! What are the chances that at least one of them could definitely be on the paper? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

I hope to god Yeats comes up. Absolute love writing about Yeats. I have a feeling Eavan will probably come up, but then Rich hasn't come up that much, so there might be a strong possibilty there...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

For the risk takers... On the old course, a woman poet HAD TO always come up. On the new course, its said that a woman poet doesnt have to come up, but its worth noting that whenever theyve been on the course, they have come up on the paper....

E.g. this year, either Rich or Boland should come up, (Not both...) so if i were a risk-taker, id only learn them two... No guarantees though, so dont hold me responsible should i be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Boland Kavanagh Yeats and Longley!

Last year was Yeats 80th anniversary of something or other and he never came up last year so he's a bit of a shoe in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

aine92 wrote: »
    Boland Kavanagh Yeats and Longley!

Last year was Yeats 80th anniversary of something or other and he never came up last year so he's a bit of a shoe in :eek:

Yeats wasn't on the course last year.That's why he didn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

If Longley, Kavanagh, and Literary Genre don't come up... I don't know...

Speaking of which, which comparatives d'you think will come up? Everyone seems to just assume LitGen will come up, and it's also the only mode my English teacher has even touched. What if it doesn't...

• Advertisement

zam wrote: »
    If Longley, Kavanagh, and Literary Genre don't come up... I don't know...

Speaking of which, which comparatives d'you think will come up? Everyone seems to just assume LitGen will come up, and it's also the only mode my English teacher has even touched. What if it doesn't...
    Then I will cry while I begrudgingly struggle through a V&V essay...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I don't see the point in voting to be honest.

It was Yeats' anniversary last year, but he wasn't on the course then. I'm hoping he comes up, he's my number one man :P Studying Kavanagh, Rich and Boland too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Did an intense study of the past poets.. (procrastination how are you ;) ) and according to my calculations I think.. Kavanagh, Longley, and either Boland and Rich or Rich and Eliot..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

:pCome on Longley and Boland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Paddy Power giving 7/4 on Boland, Kavanagh, Yeats and Longley :p

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-bets/leaving-cert-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=282283

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    :pCome on Longley and Boland!!
    thats the spirit longley is the man:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

madlad88 wrote: »
    thats the spirit longley is the man:cool:

Longley's great to write on!! So is Boland :D
    Come on come on

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

ciano1 wrote: »
    Paddy Power giving 7/4 on Boland, Kavanagh, Yeats and Longley :p

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-bets/leaving-cert-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=282283
    Is 7/4 good??? ****tt! I'm a repeat and I havent done Yeats or Kavanagh!!! I'd hate to see a paper where my choices are severly limited :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Boland, Kavanagh, Yeats and Longley would be perfect.

10/1 odds of any LC paper being leaked?:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement