Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for family members

Options
  • 28-03-2010 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm looking for my father's family. My grandparents were Patrick and Mary (Brady?) Barrett. They had 5 children, Tommy (deceased), Nora Ann, Jimmy, Patrick (my father, deceased), and Noel (deceased). My father's family was from Galway, and my father came to the States in his early twenties. I believe Jimmy lives in England now. Any information would help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

If you have the area (Townland or Parish) in Galway they are from that would make a huge difference to searching them out...also idea of year they were born...the census of 1901/1911 might help get you started

1901 census-set County=Galway
    http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/190...s/census.shtml

and 1911 Census
    http://www.nationalarchives.ie/genea...ensusrtns.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmbw63

Thank you for the information. It's been challenging to know where to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

dmbw63 wrote: »
    Thank you for the information. It's been challenging to know where to begin.

agree, i have recently being looking into mine and the one thing that will definitely help alot is where they came from, so the Parish/Townland in County Galway is a big thing...and their dates of birth are very very useful when you look at things like census they come by age so will help know there dob in cases when there are 2/3 or 4 Patrick Barretts in the one area (which will happen too)

Griffith Valuation 1855 is good if your family were from a farming background (again need to know area in Galway they are from)
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

If from the towns then Pigots Directory and Slaters Directory will list alot of those that owned shops etc in a particular town.

There is a website
    East Galway Family History Society and also a West Galway one...now my feeling on this (and only my opinion) is that they are very expensive for what they are...at 5Euro for each record you view...i dont think the search is detailed enough and you can waste alot of 5Euros (as i have done) to view a record and then find that it has nothing to do with your family at all...i know this will happen throughout your search for your family history but not at 5euro a pop, also found alot of family that i did have info on was not actually coming up in their search results...again only my opinion

I found http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/ very handy....but only when you have enough info about your family gathered already...ie what part of galway they are from etc...fee does apply but with alot of flexibility as you can pay per day or 24/48hrs type thing and have hours of searching...the newspapers will add little extras like maybe a marriage photo info or if they were involved in accident or fined or fight or something that might make news...I found it excellent for Death Notices/Obituaries as will give date died/buried and alot of relatives mentioned along with who attended funeral.
    little things you never knew about your family...i for e.g. found my mom had found alot of money in an old wardrobe that she had just bought at an auction and handed it back...she never said same...my granny was left money when young by an uncle who passed away in America and my uncle got fined for not having tax on his tractor :-) interesting little personal stories all on the newspaper

You probably already know this but keep in mind misspelling re land area/parish and their first and last names...also first names from my experience names like Nora Ann might end up with her real name being Honoria or funny enough something different like Kathleen or nick name Kitty either of which could be written on the cenus...Patrick might be Pake, Paddy etc...so dont rule things out to quickly until you find other info

Some of the below might get you thinking

Civil Records
    Church Records
    Land and Property Records

- Parish Registers
    - Irish Wills
    - Irish Pensions
    - Trades records
    - 1821 galway census (only a few parishes on this as records were distoryed)
    - memorials
    - index of birth, marriages and deaths records for ireland
    - 1901 census
    - 1911 census
    - tenant records
    - land commission transfer

Hope this helps a wee bit...you will have so much fun when you start to get into it...there are also of tools out there but i found for the beginning when you just have a few names start my creating a tree on paper and/or spreadsheet and write down as much as you know (this might come in handy at a later date, also if you have brothers/sisters/cousins etc that might know anything...)...i use spreadsheet and have created tabs as i start to branch family out into different marital names
    ...definitely try to find out where in Galway they are from...:-)

Advertisement