Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Mental Health Services

Options
  • 28-03-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge of treatment services for severe depression of children ? It seems to be non existant in this country for the under14s .

St John of Gods & St Patricks Hospitals seem to only have Adolescent services.

We have an 11year with numerous suicide attempts - getting very little assistance from the hospital , have been told of Warrenstown , Blanchardstown, but there is a 5 month waiting list .

Any suggestions / experiences appreciated .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Did warrenstown and TBH it ****ed me up more but strangely enough One of the managers has started at the new HSE Children/Adolescent unit in Sarsfield court, St Stephens Hospitial in Glanmire co.cork :) So far I have heard very good things about it and I might be going there for a while in the summer :) best of luck anyway OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickortreat

Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge of treatment services for severe depression of children ? It seems to be non existant in this country for the under14s .

St John of Gods & St Patricks Hospitals seem to only have Adolescent services.

We have an 11year with numerous suicide attempts - getting very little assistance from the hospital , have been told of Warrenstown , Blanchardstown, but there is a 5 month waiting list .

Any suggestions / experiences appreciated .

where are you located? , there are a few around but they have huge waiting lists, but becuase of the seriousness of this case id say you should be seen immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 highrank

i'm wondering how you're getting on. I know they said a five month waiting list but I can tell you I was told the same and my son got place there recently, after less than 3 month waiting list, are you in D15 area,
    Child and Fam Ctr there fairly good, some good doctors there. My son good bit older than yours hes 15, on meds a while, improved only slightly,
    is your child on meds

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

Thanks everybody , sorry I didnt make it clear he's not my son but a child in my family. So the whole family is heartbroken & desperatly trying to get him immediate care, its horrible to see someone so young hurting so much . No 11 year old should want , or know how, to end their life.

Yes he has started meds over a week now , no improvement as yet , counselling twice a week from the hospital , and hopefully some sort of CBT to help break the negative-thinking cycle. Fingers crossed we get him into Warrenstown soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The meds could take anything up to six weeks to start showing an effect (though with a child so young I'm not even 100% about that much!) but for most people this is how it goes.

You have my sincerest sympathies for what you're going through, it must be absolutely awful to see your child going through something like this at such a young age. Unfortunately there aren't many places for such young kids because the disorder is quite rare in children so young.

Best of luck with it, hopefully your child will start showing improvement with treatment at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement