Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Records?

Options
  • 28-03-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would appreciate some help, I'm not very familiar with the state of church records and hope you might save me some time.

I am trying to find some information on a 'decommissioned' Roman Catholic church close to my home. It is identified on the 1840 6". Should I hit the national archives/library or are those records usually held locally by diocese?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I reckon local library or priest would be the first place to look/call. I imagine this is a nationwide thing (but I'm not 100% positive) but Sligo has a research library and there is an awful lot of local primary material located there. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for each county.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The National Library has a list of parish registers on their website, listed by diocese. You might find it there and that would give you an idea of what years registers exist for. They'll be on microfilm, in varying degrees of legibility! NLI is involved in industrial action so if you're calling in there, make sure to check they're aren't closed.

http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement