Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do you deal with dogs on your bike?

• 28-03-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

these canine feckers are trying to savage me almost every day on my bike
    lately. i must smell like a tin of pedigree chum or something :D

srsly tho, if any experienced bikers have any dog avoidance tips i'd like to
    hear them please :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Uthur wrote: »

Use your horn. If it doesn't scare them its not loud enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Just keep on going, dont bother swerving. Ot just kick the little feckers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Couldnt agree more with kicking the feckers, slow down, theyll still chase you and just swing a leg at them.

There was a dog on my road that almost killed me by jumping out in front of me and not always from the same place, he would lie in wait for me in different spots of the road and pounce.

Slowed down one day and one swift kick from the boots and he wasnt as cheeky after that.

The only time I ever came off my bike was due to a dog doing the same thing to me, needless to say he got a kicking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Agree fully with giving them a kick,slow down,dont swerve or anything,and if you get the opportunity to connect then let them have it.9 times out of 10 they wont be as playful the next time they hear you coming up the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Be careful though...that little stray dog chasing you will suddenly become some poor childs priceless little pet if you hurt it...;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

While that is true that it is someone's dog,I'm a dog lover and owner myself,the little blighter that runs out on the road should be under control and not causing a hazard or safety issue.Afterall,if you fall off you have the option of seeking costs off the dog owner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd much rather a hurt / dead doggy than a hurt / dead me. So I just slow down and introduce the dog to Mr. Sidi if he gets close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kersher power washer ans a toothbrush for the fiddly bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

BOOOOM! HEADSHOT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

Be careful though...that little stray dog chasing you will suddenly become some poor childs priceless little pet if you hurt it...;);)

Tough sh1te - childs dog should be under control at all time when in a public place.....thats the LAW

If you don't fancy using your shiny SIDI's then the best course of action is to write to your local Garda Superintendent stating the danger that a local hound might cause you and other road users and ask him/her to look into the matter and acknowledge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you run over it don't pull the front brake. Things can get messy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Red line the engine? Failing that, face kick him.

Are you A; a butcher...B;a vet....or C; riding through someones garden..............:D:D
    Mona Lott wrote: »
    Tough sh1te - childs dog should be under control at all time when in a public place.....thats the LAW

If you don't fancy using your shiny SIDI's then the best course of action is to write to your local Garda Superintendent stating the danger that a local hound might cause you and other road users and ask him/her to look into the matter and acknowledge

Mona...lighten up...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

Mona...lighten up...:)

Man, if I was anymore laidback I'd be horizontal :D

(....and NO I don't own a dog)

Anyone that kicks a dog deserves a good kicking for themselves. If you want to kick something find out who owns the dog and kick them for leaving it out, its not the dogs fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

gave the last dog who ran at me a good strong blip of the throttle - straight through Arrows...

not seen a dogs tail drop between its legs so fast lol

Mona Lott wrote: »
    Man, if I was anymore laidback I'd be horizontal :D

Now now...thats a different type of forum.....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Kelticweb

Try a different approach ... get some of that spray can stuff that keeps dogs off the furniture and spray it on your boots and bike...that way they wont much like the smell when they get close...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Tell them to get of and get their own bikes:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Anyone that kicks a dog deserves a good kicking for themselves. If you want to kick something find out who owns the dog and kick them for leaving it out, its not the dogs fault.

Your right, however, I have and will continue to do so. If the owners want to speak to me about I have no problems with that either. Have you ever come off a bike? I'm not willing to place my life in danger because some muppet cannot be bothered to control their animal.

When a dog attempts to attack me when I'm on my bike, I will deal with that threat to my safety, with the most apporpriate response available to me when I'm travelling at around 50k, in this case my hands are busy, I will cause more damage to the dog and myself to use the bike. So my boot is the most apporpriate tool to protect myself.

If a dog wanders on to a farmers land do they wait to find the owner, no they deal with the threat to their livestock.

Really if you want to put yourself in danger go ahead and see how that works out for you, remember in order for me to kick it; it has within 2 feet of me. When this happens I'm not letting it get any nearer.

Do I enjoy it no, would I rather not be in that position yes; but I'm not going to hospital because some idiot allows his/her dog out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I love animals and am totally against cruelty to them but in this case I would rather give a dog a sore head compared to running over him and killing him. Never kicked one yet. There is a little gob****e that always runs out in front of me the second he sees me. Out on the main road and his owner just stands there looking at me leaving half me tyre on the road. Gave up slowing down and just keep going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

one dog who ran out after me got his teeth caught in the toe of me 180,s and got a sore head and a bita road rash too lol he still runs out in front of me the crazy little mut when hes left out,,,,but if ye can do it slow down and let the dog run out in front of you pull in the clutch and redline the engine and try and chase him up the road instead of him chasing you some buzz of watching them go lol

If it gets near you by all means stick the boot out, I'm talking about the slow down and kick it comments.

Travelling at 50k very few dogs would get near you and if you cant use your horn at that speed you shouldn't be on the road. I have yet to see a dog catch a bike i doubt most would keep up at 20k so if you get the chance to kick it its because you slowed down enough for it to catch you. You can usually spot the dog running out a blast of the horn usually stops them, or slows them enough for you to be way out reach of the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If it gets near you by all means stick the boot out, I'm talking about the slow down and kick it comments.

Travelling at 50k very few dogs would get near you and if you cant use your horn at that speed you shouldn't be on the road. I have yet to see a dog catch a bike i doubt most would keep up at 20k so if you get the chance to kick it its because you slowed down enough for it to catch you. You can usually spot the dog running out a blast of the horn usually stops them, or slows them enough for you to be way out reach of the dog.

They can come from the side, their not always chasing you. One I did kick came at me from the front, I was doing 60kph. Oncoming traffic, only option there was the boot. Didn't like the results, but I'm not risking myself for a dog.

Horn has never worked for me. It's a bad option, but if it's the only one I'm taking it. I wouldn't slow down to do it, there is no need, it is not a threat if I have to slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I took a short cut through Dunsink Lane getting from Finglas to the Navan Road before the roadblock was set up, about 10 dogs chased out after me from one of the halting sites. A nasty experience as I couldn't put the boot down because of the state of the road. The little fu*kers are the worst, Ended keeping both feet out and clobbered a few of them that got too close. I never ventured back that way again. :eek:

Chinese style.....i tell you if i had my way i'd be dragging those 2 mo**** fu***** along instead.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Be careful swinging the boot. I did it one time in Drogheda, had the same dog run at me day in day out, and this particular day I had a perfect line on him and swung the left boot with intent. The hound was a bit too quick for me, my foot found only air and I almost lost control of the bike. I must've looked like a proper eejit.

Wouldn't boot a dog now though, they seldom actually cross your path. If you swerve away, they will oftem move in closer, and the more you try to avoid them the closer they get. Usually just slow down, blow the horn. If it's persistent, have a word with the owner, and if they show no sign of caring for the mutts welfare (and hence yours) then have a word with the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I had the same dog trying to grab my front wheel every day as I went past when I lived in Wexford . I clipped it with my boot a couple of times , but every day it was still there waiting for me .
    One day I ran after it into the farm yard where it lived and by chance the farmer was there sitting on his tractor .

He started giving out to me for being on his property and running after his dog (not easy in full leathers :D ).

A few choice words in his ear , informing him that he was liable for all damages and loss of income if his dog made me crash soon made him shut up. The dog was kept off the road for about 6 months after that .

I have a dog myself and there is no excuse for having a dog loose and not under control .

Kick it or report it to the dog warden .

• Advertisement
Advertisement