Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening - is a free bar (tab)at the pub expected? Are presents normally given?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Seriously, who passes on the word that their kid wants a baked potato???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

tscul32 wrote: »
    The same type of people who think that the world should revolve around them and their little 'darlings'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

You would wonder. As a kid I was the most awkward picky eater but my parents never expected other people to make special arrangements for that. Instead they made sure I had something to eat before we left the house or brought a banana or something else that I could eat in the car on the way home. Between that and me eating what I would eat at any particular event I was fine. Then I went to university and dropped the picky attitude fairly lively. :)
    Its just bad manners to expect people to cater to the demands of each and every individual who may attend. I fully accept that if you're catering an event and know that your sister in law or a nephew is a coeliac or has to deal with some other medical condition, then you make sure there is something suitabe for them but for picky eaters.........well tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

mr_happy wrote: »

There is not going to be a first communion or conf after this bullsh1t.

LOL.
    This thread should be revisited 7/8 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

We have had 2 christenings both of which we catered for at home. Can be a bit hectic as everyone arrives en masse from the church but ours have always worked out well.

A lot of people regard christenings as an excuse for a drinking session and indeed I have heard horror stories of people being drunk at the actual christening. I ain't religious but that is a disaster imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Update …..
    I hate the baptism candle the way it has communion and conf on it. Neither of us want her to get first communion or conf.

We have both just agreed that the candle is getting baptised on the way home. Its going in the river.

christenings can be stressful but I guarantee you will experience a great sense of relief when it is over. For future ref (if needed) we got personalised candles on eBay which are a nice memento and have no religious references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Next thing is we arrive to the church for a meeting tonight. We were told our christening was a 12.30 pm kick off. Each family was half hour appart. I saw this myself. "It depends on how many people there are on the day when the last one is" Now there are about 12 families! If either of us hear "its your day" again we are going to loose it. It’s a fcukin process line of a few men in dresses and a load of families! How special we feel now.

What did you expect?
    Be glad you are not having to have the child christened as part of mass or that the church does christenings once ever 3 months and there are all 12 families having it done and once and you can't leave until they are all done.
    We are both considering cancelling but will get written out of the will for it as someone said to us.
    I hate the baptism candle the way it has communion and conf on it. Neither of us want her to get first communion or conf.

We have both just agreed that the candle is getting baptised on the way home. Its going in the river.

I just feel a great relief now. No wedding (us two) and no other supersticiopus ceremonies in our family.
    What a load of BS.

Seriously you are fraudulently making your child a member of a religion on some hope of some sort of an inheritance?

I would strongly suggest you do not get the child christened if you are not going to live up to the oaths which you have to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What did you expect?
    Be glad you are not having to have the child christened as part of mass or that the church does christenings once ever 3 months and there are all 12 families having it done and once and you can't leave until they are all done.

>> We were told we were getting the 12 o'Clock spot. The other couples were at half hour spots starting at 10am. Thats why we expected what we were told. I didnt presume.
    Seriously you are fraudulently making your child a member of a religion on some hope of some sort of an inheritance?

>> "Written out to the will" I think I said earlier that someone said "you will be written out of the will" I was infering that it would cause family ruptions.
    I would strongly suggest you do not get the child christened if you are not going to live up to the oaths which you have to take.

Thats a high horse you are on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

My sister told my mother who told me. My sis has my mobile number but didnt tell me direct. Perhaps she knew what the reaction would be.

I said "I will tell them what I want to eat at their next function" to let her know I did not like the special request.

My children are not christened, we faced down both sides of the family twice over and refused to let them dicate how we should rear our children. Yes there were all sorts of threaths and recriminations made and grandmothers and great aunts putting pressure on our parents who put pressure on us and siblings who tried all sorts of emotional blackmail.

End of the day we had no inclination what so ever in raising the children to be christian
    and we refused to go an lie in a church and make oaths we had no intention of honouring. Why make a mockery of bapistim if you are going to chuck the candle in the river when it's over and done?

If the family wants a day out then fine, if they want some sort of celebration then there are humanist naming ceremonies rather then lying in a church and adding false numbers to the catholic church which it then uses to lobby to push it's own agendas.

• Advertisement

locked at mr happy's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement