Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grey hair - help!

• 29-03-2010 12:26am

I was absolutely distraught yesterday to find a couple of totally white hairs on my head! I'm only 24 and I thought I wouldn't have to worry about this for at least another 7 or 8 years! Was actually just thinking how lucky I was not to have to dye my hair, as I really like my natural colour and it grows so fast :(
    One of my friends has been going grey since 19 but I thought that was very uncommon. Am I going to go all grey now? Thought it'd be grand as no-one in my family was grey before 35. I've been really stressed lately so perhaps that is why. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

hhmm has anyone of your extended family gone grey early?

I think it gets worse as you dye but its the risk you take :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Chances are you won't go all grey.

my mam was going grey when she was 17 but it was just a bit.

• Nope, all the women in my family went grey really late as far as I know. My granny not until she was about 55. My dad is 53 and hardly has any grey hairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

They can appear from stress aswell, so if youve been worried or stressed out, could be that

Misticles is rightwhave you been stressed lately?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Blue8439

I found my first grey hair two days ago, and today found several more, just at the front. I am only 21 so I know how you are feeling!! I didn't think this would happen till I was at least 30! :confused:

• Fago! wrote: »
    Misticles is rightwhave you been stressed lately?

Yep really stressed out, have been having lots of health issues and am trying to keep up with a very demanding college course. Grey hair is even more stress. :(

[quote=[Deleted User];65133573]Yep really stressed out, have been having lots of health issues and am trying to keep up with a very demanding college course. Grey hair is even more stress. :([/QUOTE]

Try take time to relax once in a while. pamper yourself. It can do wonders.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Mother didn't find her first greys until she was in her early 40's! And her Mother who is 87 doesn't even have much grey hair. Fingers crossed... Scrap that my Dad started going grey when he was 18 :(

• Fago! wrote: »
    Try take time to relax once in a while. pamper yourself. It can do wonders.

Am only getting to do that now and it might be too late. Stupid grey hair :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I know it sounds like crap but there are some things you can do to slow down the speed at which your hair greys. The most common reason for going grey is decreased melanin production as you age. If you are drinking a lot cut it out/down, the same goes for smoking and caffeine, as they inhibit melanin production. Try eating more oily fish or taking fish oil supplements. There are a lot of anecdotes that adding a daily spoon of blackstrap molasses to your diet will slow the rate of hair greying, some stories even claim it can reverse it.

If you don't already, take up exercise improve your circulation and help reduce stress. And you can just pull the greys, it won't cause seven to more to grow in it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

Deep breaths OP! Lots of my friends have a couple of grey hairs and we're the same age as you. Couldn't tell you if I have any as my hair's dyed to death :D My mam started going getting a few grey hairs at 17 and at 60 she pretty much has the same few (well, with a couple more added in!) It's more normal then you think and as others have said stress probably have brought it on but you mightn't get another grey hair for another 10 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I have a little grey streak over my left ear, only appeared in the past two years or so (I'm 25). Luckily it's underneath a lot of my other hair but I completely freaked when I first found it. I dread the day when it spreads because I love the colour of my natural hair :( Hairdressers are always complimenting it. Don't fret too much, it happens to everyone at some stage :)

B12 deficiency can also cause premature greying if that rings any bells Izzy.
    I had greys when I was a teenager, probably for that reason. And they disappeared.
    I have an old biddy related one now, but I have that a year and it has no comrades as of yet.

How do people feel about pulling the grey ones out?

Advertisement