Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

convergence devices?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So many things about these incredible new smart phones with the power of a laptop make them very desirable, but FFS still no video calling! Very frustrating!! So much for the age of convergence, how can they get away with it?

The platforms underneath do support it though. Eg. this next gen one from TI has three cameras and a projector for god's sake, as well as usb host mode and 1080p support all around. http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/TI-OMAP4-and-Blaze/

Anyone else feel we are getting screwed by the marketing departments of the vendors?

I hate my current phone LG kc910. It pretends to be a smart phone but really it's a buggy interaction nightmare attached to a good camera. But at least I can do video calling and MMS.

Anyone know any good mods or hacks for Android to get them to do video calling? I've seen hacks for enabling USB host mode on the HTC Hero which look promising, although it seems like USB power supply will always be a problem.

I love to use skype video calling to keep in touch with people that are far away, but it's so much better to be able to do this on the go, and have a different view than the inside of your living room all the time, or be with someone else they know but might not have seen for ages.

So then there's the other angle of the recent slew of webpads that do this, but would they give you the ability to plug in a keyboard, or a 3G sim card? naturally not, that'd be useful, and would mean you might actually only need one device!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've never really seen the appeal of video calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 barrymac

Actually this seems more like a proper webpad, 3g from the outset and 1080p support. http://www.notionink.in/adamfeature.php

I have to admit it took me a while to get into video calling, and I still don't use it for frequent calls, but mostly because of the cost. But when you haven't seen people for ages then it's really nice. It seems to make much more sense when the distance is far or the locations are exotic.

One situation that converted me was catching up with someone in england who I knew from university days. He had his computer in the living room and it just so happened there were a few people around his house who I also hadn't seen in ages that i didn't expect to see. It was a nice surprise and almost like I was there with them for a while. I like the idea of having a remote portal like that. And of course there's the practical applications like emergency services.

ok ok I definitely posted too soon, HTC EVO/Supersonic does appear to have it all!! Including Wimax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

On my SE Satio (Symbian v5) I have fring installed and you can make Skype video calls on it using the front camera of the Satio.
    I havent tried it, but the "normal" skype phone calls on Fring works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

barrymac wrote: »
    So many things about these incredible new smart phones with the power of a laptop make them very desirable, but FFS still no video calling! Very frustrating!! So much for the age of convergence, how can they get away with it?

You can video call for the last few years here on Three, Vodafone & Meteor, The only networks that don't support video calls are o2 & Tesco.

I'm guessing your on about Skype Video calls etc, Yea that would be cool, but i've free 3 to 3 calls and they've never charged me for Video calls as long as it's to another 3 customer, it could be a glitch but i'm not complaining, I think video calls are cool, you can have a great laugh with them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You can video call for the last few years here on Three, Vodafone & Meteor, The only networks that don't support video calls are o2 & Tesco.

I'm guessing your on about Skype Video calls etc, Yea that would be cool, but i've free 3 to 3 calls and they've never charged me for Video calls as long as it's to another 3 customer, it could be a glitch but i'm not complaining, I think video calls are cool, you can have a great laugh with them..

I'm pretty sure you can get video calling turned on with O2. I'm think I had to test it for work before

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

matrim wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can get video calling turned on with O2. I'm think I had to test it for work before

I'm pretty sure you can't:)

Ah I didn't know that about fring actually. That sounds good. I found out about sipdroid for android phones that apparently does video too, and natively integrates the with the phonebook, which is a really important usability issue.

I always thought the 3G video calling was a total rip off though, but I only noticed recently that 3 to 3 calls are included in a massive bundle of minutes that I could never use up so it's very usable in that scenario. I'm sure it's crazy expensive across networks though. As for glitches they sure have plenty of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

For most netowrks Video calling is priced exactly the same as regualr calls. AFAIK anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 00bri

I haven't used video calling in years. Not since I had a Nokia N70 and the novelty wore off for a few days.

If I was to hazard a guess as to why most phones don't support it it's probably because it's not a widely used feature that only adds to the cost of manufacturing.

If you want to talk to people long distance it would probably work out cheaper for you to use skype with a web cam anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I use video calling from time to time on my N95, useful at times. Same price as a regular call and it's tooken out of your minutes on meteor.

Crikey I didn't realise they were the same price now as normal calls across networks. I had just assumed it would be mad expensive and never even checked up.

I do like being totally portable with a webcam though, so much better than being stuck behind a desktop.

In any case, that HTC Evo with sipdroid and a wimax connection looks like it might do the trick, and really replace the desktop and webcam but without the long distance charges and totally mobile while your at it.

I've been waiting for REAL broadband (like home) functionality available on the move for ages!! I hope this is finally it!

Advertisement