Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help! What would power this reciever??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

[HTML][/HTML]
    SubLuminal wrote: »
    Help!

Can anyone tell me what kind of battery pack I'd need to power this wireless reciever?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30LED-WEATHERPROOF-WIRELESS-Color-CCTV-Camera-power_W0QQitemZ250516543614QQcategoryZ48632QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8822450405573061851

Don't care about powering the camera so much. Its the reciever i'm interested in powering using a battery - if anyone can link me to something suitable on ebay I'd really, really appreciate it!

I use a similar receiver for radio control aircraft live video link, and use a lithium polymer battery, or you could use various 12 volt battery setups, e.g. 8AA disposable or 8AA nimh rechargeable batteries in a battery holder connected to the suitable plug, all available in maplin or ebay. The receiver on ebay there probably comes with a 12 volt adaptor anyway.

If it is a battery you are going to use then how will you be using the receiver, for how long at a time etc. A rechargeable battery or batteries will need a suitable charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I use a similar receiver for radio control aircraft live video link, and use a lithium polymer battery, or you could use various 12 volt battery setups, e.g. 8AA disposable or 8AA nimh rechargeable batteries in a battery holder connected to the suitable plug, all available in maplin or ebay. The receiver on ebay there probably comes with a 12 volt adaptor anyway.

If it is a battery you are going to use then how will you be using the receiver, for how long at a time etc. A rechargeable battery or batteries will need a suitable charger.

Ok wow - that is a brilliant answer except for one tiny problem, I'm already way outta my depth! lol.. Sorry to be such a noob but I just need someone to point me at a link and say "this". I'd like to power it for a few hours at a time if possible off the batteries? Apologies again for my idiocy! :)

Ok wow - that is a brilliant answer except for one tiny problem, I'm already way outta my depth! lol.. Sorry to be such a noob but I just need someone to point me at a link and say "this". I'd like to power it for a few hours at a time if possible off the batteries? Apologies again for my idiocy! :)

Go into maplin electronics, ask for 8 AA rechargeable batteries.
    Also an 8 AA battery holder code RK44X on this page
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31427

AA battery charger N42CX on this page
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=115119

To get the plug to connect from the battery holder to the Video receiver you would need to bring the receiver into maplin, Im not sure of the size of the DC plug that takes. You need the plug and a short lead to solder to the battery holder.

Where do you live.

Another option. 12 volt lead acid battery
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27088
    The third one in the list 2.1ah 12volt will last about 6 or 7 hours on that receiver. code for battery is XG74R
    Charger for it
    7th one from top on this page
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=lead%20acid%20battery%20charger&source=15 code is LL30H

The codes can be used if you phone maplin to see have they got the parts. Depends where you live as to what maplin is closest.
    If you get lead acid battery and charger then you still need a lead with 12 volt dc plug so bring the receiver with you to maplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

wholly depends on how portable and how long running it needs to be.

A decent car battery would happily run it, for 80-100hours whereas 8aa batteries might run it for 1.5 hours..maayybe. (chargables are 1.2v so ten would be a better idea)

4 rechargable 18650 batteries might be the best weight to power density ratio being light and giving a run time of ~~5 hours.

a 12v NI-cad drill battery would be an easy hack.

• Advertisement

mawk wrote: »
    wholly depends on how portable and how long running it needs to be.

A decent car battery would happily run it, for 80-100hours whereas 8aa batteries might run it for 1.5 hours..maayybe. (chargables are 1.2v so ten would be a better idea)

4 rechargable 18650 batteries might be the best weight to power density ratio being light and giving a run time of ~~5 hours.

a 12v NI-cad drill battery would be an easy hack.

The ni-cad is an easy hack for some, but surely 8 AA rechargeables is simplest for most. Rechargeables are a nominal 1.2v, fully charged they are 1.5v and maintain that under the load a 2.4 ghz receiver will draw. Them receivers use around 300ma so 8 nimh 2200mah rechargeables will run it for 5 to 6 hours. Them receivers are rated 9-12 volts so 8 rechargeables is enough, 10 might be too much when fully charged. I have used 10 alright in some stuff that could take 10-15 volts but the receiver will work fine with 8.
    A car battery will work but is it overkill? It will run it for a week, I had asked in first reply what time duration was needed and what its being used for. The 18650 li-on batterys are grand, but he would have to watch he did`t over discharge them more so than AA`s. I used AA`s before, but the best solution i found for using the reciever i have in a field is a 3 cell lithium polymer battery, small, light and charge in hour or less for the 5 or 6 hours of use.

Here is a 3 cell lithuim polymer battery, and a charger suitable, i use this site all the time, one of best on net, cheapest li-po or lithium ion batteries around.

lipo battery for receiver
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6518

and charger, a brilliant lipo charger for anyone interested for price.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028

The simplest solution is still the AA`s in my opinion anyway, buy anywhere, can use ordinary AA`s if stuck etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

oh I didnt mean to imply that aa's were a bad solution, but they probably wouldnt be my own choice. it'd really annoying having to switch the batteries in the charger all the time.
    the LiPo is a good choice as long as he buys a decent charger. those things are fairly spectacular when they overcharge

mawk wrote: »
    oh I didnt mean to imply that aa's were a bad solution, but they probably wouldnt be my own choice. it'd really annoying having to switch the batteries in the charger all the time.
    the LiPo is a good choice as long as he buys a decent charger. those things are fairly spectacular when they overcharge

Well ive never seen any lipo charger overcharge a lipo to the point of burning, and ive had at least 10 or more chargers from the cheapest to the thunder power one i mostly use now, overcharging only really happens if an ordinary charger is connected, or a cell or 2 are well out of balance,

The choice depends on what he wants to use it for, The lipo is the best choice for them for portable use. The charger i linked to on hobbyking site is a great one for the price $25, i use one myself and thunder power 1010 for most of my lipo`s. A bank of 8 AA`s could easily be charged in one go also,

Advertisement