Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article in Sunday Independent

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

What a terrible article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

rovert wrote: »
    What a terrible article
    agree,:mad: people like that cnut annoy the hell out of me:mad:

dicey1664 wrote: »
    agree,:mad: people like that cnut annoy the hell out of me:mad:

Seriously who hasnt come across MMA yet it is 2010! He is a sports journalist (supposedly at least his level of research indicates otherwise)for crying out loud, has he been living under a rock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jesus its been a while since I read such a retarded article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I would not call that an article. The Independent and particularly the Sunday Independent are basically kennel litter or toilet roll. None of their articles have any merit and it is basically print media trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anyone have a subscription to the Irish times and could copy and paste the contents of this mess?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1020/1224279464260.html

I ended up having a prolonged email debate with the author after I pulled her up on the endless sh1te in the article. Eventually she got fed up losing arguments and refused to answer me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

What really gets me is they annoying way in which he refers to a sport called "UFC".

I have no problem with bigoted and judgemental arguements, they're to be expected. But when extremely lazy and ignorant journalists cant even be bothered to do basic research? It sickens me that he got paid for this tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

You'll find that this ignorant piece is what the majority of people think, so he is writing to the masses-I have to admit inside i was both giggling and boiling up at the level of ignorance and downright stupid stuff!

I suppose there will always be this sort of journalism while MMA is so small and our voice is not heard.

Sunday March 28 2010
    I am much given to proudly proclaiming the ecumenical nature of my sporting enthusiasms in this column and asserting that no code, however unfashionable, is alien to me.
    So it gives me no pleasure to admit that I have found a sport in which I can find no redeeming value whatsoever. Congratulations, Ultimate Fighting Championship, you have defeated me.
    The UFC, not be confused with the Ulster Football Championship, is a slow-moving relentlessly nasty affair which takes place within an octagonal arena bounded by chain-link fence, (hence cage-fighting as it's sometimes known) as two lads try to kick and punch each other.
    This combat between the cage-fighters apparently involves a mixture of martial arts. But, to my untrained eye, it is most reminiscent of combats I witnessed in my youth between the great Dutch champion Houldmebak and his Russian rival Letmeatim which took place near various dance halls, chip vans and takeaways in the South Sligo and North Roscommon area. Throw in a couple of girlfriends shouting, "he's not worth it Sean," and a referee warning that the mini-bus is about to leave and you'd have an almost perfect facsimile.
    UFC, like most bad ideas, originated in the US and is apparently screened on television in 36 countries. And, as my appalled fascination was quickly replaced by stultifying boredom, I realised exactly what I was watching. It is a sport designed by eejits for other eejits to participate in and watch. It is sport in the same way that Sarah Palin is a politician.
    I am not unsympathetic to martial arts, one of my brothers is a black belt in Aikido, something which took a great deal of dedication. And I'm aware that there are many noble disciplines within this field which give people a great deal of enjoyment.
    UFC, however, reminds me of nothing so much as those science-fiction sports, Rollerball, Aeroball, Spinball, which were supposed to show the dystopian nature of future societies. Beside it, television wrestling is a thing of infinite grace, curling a thrilling exhibition of the best qualities of the human spirit. UFC, it's to sport what KFC is to chicken.
    - Eamonn Sweeney
    Sunday Independent

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Sweeney used to write okay sports articles for the Examiner. Then he wrote a (bad) book and was catapulted into the pages on the Sunday Indo as, as far as I can tell, their chief whiner. He writes about what's wrong with the world and kids today and so on. Or why such and such is a venerable old man and the younger fella is just a wee upstart. I've never seen a single article of substance from him for that paper and he's probably been there 4 years now. It's typical of his style- anti American, anti big-business (he's very pro League of Ireland and "de local people" in a very patronising way).

He seems to have carte blanch to write whatever he feels like, and probably gets well rewarded for it. His articles are dull in any case which is a shame because sports coverage is the one thing the Sunday Indo does really, really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

cowzerp wrote: »
    You'll find that this ignorant piece is what the majority of people think, so he is writing to the masses-I have to admit inside i was both giggling and boiling up at the level of ignorance and downright stupid stuff!

I suppose there will always be this sort of journalism while MMA is so small and our voice is not heard.

Sunday March 28 2010
    I am much given to proudly proclaiming the ecumenical nature of my sporting enthusiasms in this column and asserting that no code, however unfashionable, is alien to me.
    So it gives me no pleasure to admit that I have found a sport in which I can find no redeeming value whatsoever. Congratulations, Ultimate Fighting Championship, you have defeated me.
    The UFC, not be confused with the Ulster Football Championship, is a slow-moving relentlessly nasty affair which takes place within an octagonal arena bounded by chain-link fence, (hence cage-fighting as it's sometimes known) as two lads try to kick and punch each other.
    This combat between the cage-fighters apparently involves a mixture of martial arts. But, to my untrained eye, it is most reminiscent of combats I witnessed in my youth between the great Dutch champion Houldmebak and his Russian rival Letmeatim which took place near various dance halls, chip vans and takeaways in the South Sligo and North Roscommon area. Throw in a couple of girlfriends shouting, "he's not worth it Sean," and a referee warning that the mini-bus is about to leave and you'd have an almost perfect facsimile.
    UFC, like most bad ideas, originated in the US and is apparently screened on television in 36 countries. And, as my appalled fascination was quickly replaced by stultifying boredom, I realised exactly what I was watching. It is a sport designed by eejits for other eejits to participate in and watch. It is sport in the same way that Sarah Palin is a politician.
    I am not unsympathetic to martial arts, one of my brothers is a black belt in Aikido, something which took a great deal of dedication. And I'm aware that there are many noble disciplines within this field which give people a great deal of enjoyment.
    UFC, however, reminds me of nothing so much as those science-fiction sports, Rollerball, Aeroball, Spinball, which were supposed to show the dystopian nature of future societies. Beside it, television wrestling is a thing of infinite grace, curling a thrilling exhibition of the best qualities of the human spirit. UFC, it's to sport what KFC is to chicken.
    - Eamonn Sweeney
    Sunday Independent
    Good thing that chap isn't an absolute moron

Oh hang on.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sweeney used to write okay sports articles for the Examiner. Then he wrote a (bad) book and was catapulted into the pages on the Sunday Indo as, as far as I can tell, their chief whiner. He writes about what's wrong with the world and kids today and so on. Or why such and such is a venerable old man and the younger fella is just a wee upstart. I've never seen a single article of substance from him for that paper and he's probably been there 4 years now. It's typical of his style- anti American, anti big-business (he's very pro League of Ireland and "de local people" in a very patronising way).

He seems to have carte blanch to write whatever he feels like, and probably gets well rewarded for it. His articles are dull in any case which is a shame because sports coverage is the one thing the Sunday Indo does really, really well.

that papers is in my place every sunday, its a rag that reprints midweek stories and charges twice the price for them, but he slated the LOI about a month ago, he must walk around the place looking for **** to compalin about, a joe duffy with a pen, but in fairness he was one of the first i saw to point out the terrible record that don givens had with the underage irish teams which is now at an end.

And i think he is right in a way, I cant stand all the crap that the commentators talk in the UFC, i like the sport but fast forward all the crap they go on with inbetween fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Poorly researched? Check.
    Dismissive? Yep.
    Sweeping generalizations? Present Sir!

Maybe it's the elitist in me, but I don't mind reading articles like these. Personally I don't want MMA to be the next big thing with Sunday Indo readers, and I like the fact that the sport isn't bland enough to appeal to insular old men like Mr Sweeney.

Or maybe i'm wrong?

EamonnSweeney.jpg

He certainly looks like a man who knows 'cool' when he see's it.

I like KFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

What's wrong with that article? He didn't say anything that wasn't true. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I chuckled when he said his brother has a blackbelt in aikido. Does anyone else think he looks like a retarded version of the comedian Frankie Boyle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

So it gives me no pleasure to admit that I have found a sport in which I can find no redeeming value whatsoever.

Look on the bright side. He is basically accepting that MMA is a sport. It amazes me that in 2010 we are still getting these sort of articles. Real up with the times he is when the article comes over a year after the UFC sells out the most well known arena in the country.

Clive wrote: »
    What's wrong with that article? He didn't say anything that wasn't true. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Chillaxe wrote: »
    Does anyone else think he looks like a retarded version of the comedian Frankie Boyle?

I think he looks like bubbles from Trailer Park Boys.

EamonnSweeney.jpg

bubbles.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

The article was complete rubbish from start to finish. It's a morons attempt to fill in a small box he's given on a page of a supposedly good paper.

He did NO research on MMA. He doesn't even mention MMA (Mixed Martial Arts to you & the other Joe Soaps). He knows nothing of the origins & skills involved in fighting for such organizations as the UFC.

He speaks about a brother who does Aikido. Why? What's that got to do with MMA? Nothing. You can't even use most of the moves in Aikido in an MMA fight because they're banned to protect the fighters from having broken wrists, fingers etc....

Eamonn Sweeney just proved that he is a useless sports writer & the best bit is he's the spiting image of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys!

I'm glad he wrote this because he WILL eventually be exposed for his schoolboy like article & he'll be made a mockery of when MMA becomes one of the biggest sports in the world.

I bet his brother might even throw him around the room in anger as he gets abuse from fans :D

barochoc wrote: »
    He doesn't even mention MMA (Mixed Martial Arts to you & the other Joe Soaps).

Thanks for that, I was really confused there for a while.

So let's review:

Journalist writes a simple opinion-piece saying that to his untrained eyes, the UFC is nasty, thuggish and "for eejits".

The response from enthusiasts on the relevant section of Irelands largest forum is:
    • The Sunday Independent is a rag anyway
    • He'll see when MMA is the biggest sport of the world!!!! l33t
    • He looks like a retard!

Quality work dispelling stereotypes there.

• Advertisement

lol Clive playing the contrarian here

I don't have a problem with then general context of the article, but some points do get to me....

If MMA is a mock sport, then Boxing immediately follows that and i could you could add just about every sport in the Olympics(since when did throwing a shot putt make you a sports man?)

The skills, commitment, bravery etc... needed to be an MMA fighter are second to none, it's Gladiator fighting for the modern age... if that doesn't make you a sports man then what does?

The bit that gets me the most is ''It is a sport designed by eejits for other eejits to participate in and watch'', just because he doesn't like it, there's no need to have a pot shot at the legions who participate and follow it.... sounds likes the words of a bar stool loud-mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

So let's review:

Journalist writes a simple opinion-piece saying that to his untrained eyes, the UFC is nasty, thuggish and "for eejits".

The response from enthusiasts on the relevant section of Irelands largest forum is:

As usual Clive rides in on his high horse..

What a surprise.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

what a tool!

So let's review:

Well the fact you replied with "What's wrong with that article? He didn't say anything that wasn't true. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it."

Told me you were on the same wave length as our prise winning journalist. Not sure if that's medium or long wave but it's one most of us don't care for anyway.

And for the record, It is Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

In fairness all the guy has done wrong has referred to the sport as UFC and not MMA. If he thinks it's for eejits then he's entitled to that opinion.

I always wonder at MMA fans who can't understand that some people see the sport as barbaric and get quite annoyed about it.

Careful now Bobby with your high horse and valid points...
    Well the fact you replied with "What's wrong with that article? He didn't say anything that wasn't true. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it."

Told me you were on the same wave length as our prise winning journalist. Not sure if that's medium or long wave but it's one most of us don't care for anyway.

This may shock you, but no, I don't agree with him. I merely stated that he didn't say anything untrue. He's not calling for a ban, not calling it a bloodsport, not lying about no rules etc - he simply doesn't like it. I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Careful now Bobby with your high horse and valid points...

Leave me alone, I like my high horse. Considerably less mucking out when compared with a real horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fair enough he can have his opinion but the fact remains it is a stupid opinion!!! The sport of UFC = FAIL!

If he said "MMA is a sport for eejits as it is barbaric" would be an opinion but he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about so therefore he should keep his opinion to himself and not have it printed in an article on a major Irish newspaper.

Course there's gonna be positive and negative reviews and opinions of MMA and thats okay but at least do some research on a topic before you throw in your 2 cents.

Its my opinion that this guy is a stupid cu*t. Did my research and its actually true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm inclined to agree with Clive

I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable in MMA - but I understand that it uses mixed training/disciplines for fighters who compete - on the outside it is fairly thuggish (no offence intended people) in a barbarian - "two man enter - one man leave" type of scenario.

I have watched the UFC fights on TV and find nothing wrong with them, I watched them (if I was flicking through the channels and came across a fight I stopped flicking and watched)

Anyway - as regards the article, yeah....fair enough, the guy didn't do his research, he posted his opinion on the sport (he isn't a fan) .... I'm not a fan or a lover of the sport but I know that you don't slate ANY sport unless you have something to support your arguement, it seems all he has is his opinion....nothing to back up his "thuggish" comments about, in my opinion he wrote an article based on whatever he saw was on TV the night before - his opinion he didn't like UFC - I've never seen/heard of any MMA fights unless it was UFC (the sport is badly supported/advertised)...just to clarify... when I say badly supported - I'm talking about financially, commercial agreements similar to the way the banks support the Football championships...or the "Airtricity" League.

ok...if I havent confused you .... I think Clive had a valid point - the guy is basically airing his own personal opinion, which he is paid to do, he isnt a fan of the sport and finds if barbaric..... the FACT that he didn't research MMA (based on popular opinion in this forum its a "fact" ;) ) before writing the article is in bad taste, MMA has a large following much like all sports it needs more financial backing before it becomes mainstream/recognised.

To all those who on this forum who participate (watch/play) .... Enjoy your sport - don't get hung up on one persons opinion, I'm not MMA's biggest fan, but some of you enjoy it ...you are entitled to your opinion.

Enjoy your sport and feck the begrudgers !!!

Again I dont see how anyone can refer to themselves as a journalist without doing the slightest bit of research. Like or dislike MMA but dont go round calling people eejits just because you actively choose to be ignorant about it.

To be a sport journalist and not know what UFC is in 2010 shows how much of bubble the guy lives in. If he did actually know about it but pretended not to know about to be kewl or to make a point in some way is equally lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

to my untrained eye

Sums it up really. He has no understanding of martial arts so he had no idea what he was looking at.

It'd be like me stumbling across a sumo wrestling match and thinking it was two people at a weight watchers meeting having an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Personally I can respect MMA for the amount of time and dedication their competitors put into their sport. However again, personally speaking, I'm not a fan of MMA. It seems too dangerous for my liking. I've watched a good few fights and this whole "mounting" stuff puts me at great unease. You're knocking the face off of someone until the ref deems that you have had enough. The last fight I watched someone came out of it with a fractured orbital cheekbone but he didn't seem all that bothered about it, it was as if it was just another day at the office.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I've probably missed the point of MMA entirely. Please correct me so if I have.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Personally I can respect MMA for the amount of time and dedication their competitors put into their sport. However again, personally speaking, I'm not a fan of MMA. It seems too dangerous for my liking. I've watched a good few fights and this whole "mounting" stuff puts me at great unease. You're knocking the face off of someone until the ref deems that you have had enough. The last fight I watched someone came out of it with a fractured orbital cheekbone but he didn't seem all that bothered about it, it was as if it was just another day at the office.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I've probably missed the point of MMA entirely. Please correct me so if I have.

LZ5by5 are you still a Wrestling fan? Yet another Pro Wrestler died late Friday. I don’t need to tell you how large the death rate in Pro Wrestling is. I’m not deflecting just that MMA hasn’t (yet) ran into the problem of early deaths seen in Pro Wrestling. I doubt any MMA fighter will ever the brain tissue damage Chris Benoit had. So why object to MMA if you are still a fan of Pro Wrestling?

I fully acknowledge ground fighting is a cultural block for some people but is a lot safer than boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fair point rovert but to that I would say that the damage wrestlers have done to themselves over the years has mostly been outside of the ring, and is not directly related to the job they do inside the ring.

Pro Wrestling is probably a considerably less murkier business than it was back in the 80's and somewhat the 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Fair point rovert but to that I would say that the damage wrestlers have done to themselves over the years has mostly been outside of the ring, and is not directly related to the job they do inside the ring.

There are probably more serious injuries in soccer than there are in MMA. It is quite a safe sport when refereed correctly.

In the case of Chris Benoit is was more the in ring trauma to the front and back to the head. Anyway more and more concussion research is linking brain damage to an increased propensity to the use and abuse of drugs. I dont want to veer to from MMA. But the research of the Sport Legacy Institute is definitely worth following.
    Pro Wrestling is probably a considerably less murkier business than it was back in the 80's and somewhat the 90's.

Yeah by adopting the procedures that exist in MMA and boxing namely drug testing and medicals. If Eddy Guerrero and Brian Pillman had the same heart exam MVP had they both probably would be alive today.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    It is quite a safe sport when refereed correctly.

I wouldnt quite say that now. Refs, rules and regulations have made it as safe as possible - but it is still a "dangerous" sport with a fairly high risk of injury.

Alot of other sports are too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wonder does the journo in the OP hold the same opinion about boxing?

In my experience most people who call MMA barbaric, etc., would have no problem watching two guys punch each other in the head for 12 rounds.

Strange that...

Saw this:
    MMA article offends cast of a thousand

I write in relation to Eamonn Sweeney's article entitled 'Cage fighting the Ultimate turnoff' (Sunday Independent, Mar 28). As a professional mixed martial artist, I am deeply offended and upset with what you wrote in your article. I don't think I have read a more inaccurate, unresearched, ignorant piece of writing in many years.

The piece which most displays the lack of research is where you refer to the 'Ultimate Fighting Championship' as a sport. This portrays ignorance of the highest level. The sport on which you so informatively wrote this article on is known as mixed martial arts (MMA). The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is an organisation (the largest and most profitable of its kind in the world).

The most insulting piece of the whole article was the sentence, "It is a sport designed by eejits for other eejits to participate in and watch". In writing this, I ask you this Mr Sweeney: do you know one person who participates or is involved in the sport of MMA? If the answer is no, which I assume it is, I ask you: how have you come to this great conclusion?

In this country, there are more than 1,000 people involved in MMA at every level. You have offended them all Mr Sweeney.

Cathal Pendred

Sunday Independent

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/have-your-say-armagh-must-put-best-foot-forward-mma-article-offends-cast-of-a-thousand-2133678.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I wouldnt quite say that now. Refs, rules and regulations have made it as safe as possible - but it is still a "dangerous" sport with a fairly high risk of injury.

Alot of other sports are too..

Its no higher than other comparible sports though. Here is the results of a study by the Johns Hopkins University on the incident of injury in professional MMA competitions
    ABSTRACT
    Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) competitions were introduced in the United States with the first Ultimate
    Fighting Championship (UFC) in 1993. In 2001, Nevada and New Jersey sanctioned MMA events after
    requiring a series of rule changes. The purpose of this study was to determine the incidence of injury in
    professional MMA fighters. Data from all professional MMA events that took place between September
    2001 and December 2004 in the state of Nevada were obtained from the Nevada Athletic Commission.
    Medical and outcome data from events were analyzed based on a pair-matched case-control design. Both
    conditional and unconditional logistic regression models were used to assess risk factors for injury. A total
    of 171 MMA matches involving 220 different fighters occurred during the study period. There were a total
    of 96 injuries to 78 fighters. Of the 171 matches fought, 69 (40.3%) ended with at least one injured fighter.
    The overall injury rate was 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations or 12.5 injuries per 100 competitor
    rounds. Facial laceration was the most common injury accounting for 47.9% of all injuries, followed by
    hand injury (13.5%), nose injury (10.4%), and eye injury (8.3%). With adjustment for weight and match
    outcome, older age was associated with significantly increased risk of injury. The most common conclusion
    to a MMA fight was a technical knockout (TKO) followed by a tap out. The injury rate in MMA
    competitions is compatible with other combat sports involving striking. The lower knockout rates in MMA
    compared to boxing may help prevent brain injury in MMA events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

was that printed in the letters to the editor section fair play to cathal

was that printed in the letters to the editor section fair play to cathal

Dated Sunday the 11th so yesterday's Paper if it is.

rovert wrote: »

I wonder does Clive agree with this article..... oh hang on, he actually thinks everything Bubbles said was true. Weird, he says he's an MMA fan :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I wonder does Clive agree with this article..... oh hang on, he actually thinks everything Bubbles said was true. Weird, he says he's an MMA fan :confused:

I cant tell if this guys bein sarcastic or he really doesn't have a clue who clive is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Clive is a well known figure in MMA for a long time now, he was not agreeing with the article as such, he was saying that the lad was entitled to his opinion and lots of people are of this opinion and ignorant as it may be he did not say much wrong, your taking it all up wrong tbh.

Leave it there as it obviously went over your head.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Clives opinions would resonate alot better with other readers if he learned to practice a little less pretention in his posts.

Clives opinions would resonate alot better with other readers if he learned to practice a little less pretention in his posts.

Thanks ginoginelli. I was annoyed that Clive (believed to be a well known figure in MMA) said " I merely stated that he didn't say anything untrue."

So he agreed with "It is a sport designed by eejits for other eejits to participate in and watch."

I find that hard to swallow & something a TRUE fan would not agree with. Unless of course Clive believes he's one of these type that designed the sport.

I for one take great offense at this article. I've tried to train in the sport of MMA but couldn't make the time. My goal is to make more time so I can do & excel. It's the ultimate test as far as I can see. Coming from a cycling background I think that says a lot about how tough MMA really is.

I'll leave it at that unless I hear the clippety clop of horse shoes! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

AARRRGH wrote: »
    There are probably more serious injuries in soccer than there are in MMA. It is quite a safe sport when refereed correctly.

If we are going to give out about the article being terrible, can be at least be realistic ourselves. Saying football has more injuries than MMA is nonsense. There are 10s of 1000s more footballers playing each week, so simply in terms of scale they are going to be higher. Also, the slightest injury might have a few out for a week and is reported on SSN. MMA fighters have a few months between fights anyway, so injuries are expected and not always reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

So he agreed with "It is a sport designed by eejits for other eejits to participate in and watch."

Who are ya? Never mind.

I'm not speaking on the behalf of poor misunderstood Clive :pac: but I can see an element of truth in the above statement. You have to be bit of an eejit to participate in MMA. It's sport based around making your opponent unable to continue to fight either through Knock out, submission or exhaustion. If you think it's any way sensible to train x hours a week to beat up another human at the same time accepting the risk that comes with big strong men trying to punch you in the head you're probably not that intelligent.

MMA is dangerous and reckless (as it boxing, motorsport and horse racing) and people do it for pride, money and the exhilaration. These are not rational reasons to do things that may seriously hurt you.

You have to be bit of an eejit to do it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement