Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLACES TO GO OUT IN LIMERICK OTHER THAN....

Options
  • 29-03-2010 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

ok so ... i dont like the usual spots on a college ngt out ... ex trooms and d icon and of course angel lane ......

is there any pub in around the age bracket of 18-22 wheres theres a nice respectable crowd

If you can name a few that would be great ,, thanks tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

ok so ... i dont like the usual spots on a college ngt out ... ex trooms and d icon and of course angel lane ......

is there any pub in around the age bracket of 18-22 wheres theres a nice respectable crowd

Just avoid anything studenty i guess. You could try Mickey Martins just off Thomas St., Bakers and Wicked Chicken up on Pery Square or Dolans on Dock Rd...well they'd be the places I'd recommend if you are into music but at the very least it is far removed from the usual student tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Depends what you're into really, what do you define as respectable? For example the usual Angel Lane crowd probably wouldn't consider costellos or bakers 'respectable', where as I would.

Yea, the places mentioned above there are all great music venues. Non music venue is Charley's, they do nice cocktails, it can be a fun place to start out a night. I really like bakers for the music, just check up what's on that night on their myspace though. Great bands in there, free or cheap in too. Costellos is a good spot on a Monday (art college night). Free in if you're in (or say your in) the art college. Dolans is a bit out of the way if you're just going out for a few pints, but if your going for a gig, your going to have a good night. It's the best place in Limerick imo.

The UL music society is doing a great job this year, they've run a ton of great nights out this year, worth checking their facebook to find out about gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

louloumc89 wrote: »
    It's the best place in Limerick imo.

That comment is such a sad sad fact.:(

Stab*City wrote: »
    That comment is such a sad sad fact.:(

What? Why? Dolans is deadly! Where would you say is the best place to go for a night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

God folks yee need to branch out more if yee think Dolans is the best Limerick has to offer. Limerick has some great pubs that would suit the ops criteria the aforementioned Mickeys, Curraghgower, Jerry Flannery's.

Try some where not geared towards the 18 - 22 age op like Fennesseys the other two Flannery's, Myles Breens, Tom Collins. Good time and decent drink to be had at any and all of them and the latter cannot be said of Dolans pints are not top class down there by any means

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    God folks yee need to branch out more if yee think Dolans is the best Limerick has to offer. Limerick has some great pubs that would suit the ops criteria the aforementioned Mickeys, Curraghgower, Jerry Flannery's.

Try some where not geared towards the 18 - 22 age op like Fennesseys the other two Flannery's, Myles Breens, Tom Collins. Good time and decent drink to be had at any and all of them and the latter cannot be said of Dolans pints are not top class down there by any means

Hmmm, I guess it's just the whole music thing. I played in Dolans warehouse last Friday and there was a trad band in the pub, a really good band upstairs, and us in the warehouse. It was a deadly night. Was out there paddys night too...it's just a really good spot. The places you mentioned are all nice pubs, but don't most of them close by 12.30? I know Timmywaldo said pub, but the examples of places he didn't like were all clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Just avoid anything studenty i guess. You could try Mickey Martins just off Thomas St., Bakers and Wicked Chicken up on Pery Square or Dolans on Dock Rd...well they'd be the places I'd recommend if you are into music but at the very least it is far removed from the usual student tosh.

I thought all those pubs you mentioned were regular student haunts!! Particularly Doalns and mickeys. Least they were in my day.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Whatever ya do dont try the bitter end anyways! Live around the corner from it and passing the place is hilarious, like a bunch of douche dudes and slags.....

ambigiously-guido-duo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I thought all those pubs you mentioned were regular student haunts!! Particularly Doalns and mickeys. Least they were in my day.;)

Dolans is pretty out of the way for most students and mickys has an extremely varried crowd but definately wouldn't be a mainstream student haunt (one of the reasons i like it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Is there anyplace Like Quin's left in the City ?
    (Besides Costello's and the Wicked Chicken)
    Quin's was my regular haunt and I loved the place.
    Have not really gone out clubbing and pubbing much since the place closed,
    tend to visit the ol off licence now and sit in with the feet up nowadays.

I don't dance and am not single so Loud Music and a dance floor is not of any importance to me (I have Zero interest in club/Chart/Metal or Irish Trad Music)

I Never warmed up to the high-stool when it opened, when that closed
    I kind of lost track of where familiar faces started to go drinking.
    I know Termites is back (as I get bombarded by Bob with facebook invites every time its on) but I've yet to check it out to see if its the same old same old or if its actually good. The thoughts of me being 34 and wondering around a club
    that may be jam packed with a bunch of underage drinkers wasted off a few pints is not very appealing)

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

im suprised no one has mentioned mollys and smyths?! mollys is a disco bar for the student age bracket and smyths is more or less the same except with bands, op try these two places and you'll enjoy them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dave 27 wrote: »
    im suprised no one has mentioned mollys and smyths?! mollys is a disco bar for the student age bracket and smyths is more or less the same except with bands, op try these two places and you'll enjoy them

Did you even bother to read the first post in the thread? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bullets wrote: »
    Is there anyplace Like Quin's left in the City ?
    (Besides Costello's and the Wicked Chicken)
    Quin's was my regular haunt and I loved the place.
    Have not really gone out clubbing and pubbing much since the place closed,
    tend to visit the ol off licence now and sit in with the feet up nowadays.

I don't dance and am not single so Loud Music and a dance floor is not of any importance to me (I have Zero interest in club/Chart/Metal or Irish Trad Music)

I Never warmed up to the high-stool when it opened, when that closed
    I kind of lost track of where familiar faces started to go drinking.
    I know Termites is back (as I get bombarded by Bob with facebook invites every time its on) but I've yet to check it out to see if its the same old same old or if its actually good. The thoughts of me being 34 and wondering around a club
    that may be jam packed with a bunch of underage drinkers wasted off a few pints is not very appealing)

~B

Quins was a huge loss as was Javas, well to me anyway.

You could go into Quins at anytime and meet a friendly face. Or go and have a bit of footy banter with Christy behind the bar.

Advertisement