Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to train and learn to become an electrician?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 2:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I know this may not be the best "Educational" forum but I suppose a few electricians post here. To give you an insight into myself, I am 23 and currently unemployed and left school early at 14 due to problems at school and never got any qualification, :eek: It is something I deeply regret but Secondary School was/probably still is such an immature environment I couldn't deal with it.

I worked in crappy unskilled jobs (hotels etc.) in my late teens and have been unemployed for two years this coming June. I am sick of holding "tough" and Emigrating for me is something I'd do in an instant if I could have something to do and most importantly something I genuinely like. Since I was about 12 I have been tinkering with gadgets and electronics and last year my parents got our house rewired (attic conversion) and I did all the TV, telephone and Networking stuff myself. Which while being easy you still need to know your stuff, and I am into this alot.

Is there any places like "Electrician college" or somewhere one can get trained and qualified? I am kind of at a situation in my life where you could say I am the prodigal son and have travelled a good share of the world the last 5 years and from a family point of view alot of the perceived wealth and privilige I saw and expected at 14 upon leaving school is wiped out now. An Electrician is something I could see myself doing and would be quite comfortable and up to it only to learn and do all the exams etc.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi Stinicker,

Ok firstly im not an electrician but I have a fair knowledge of the Industry.
    The training involves a standard based apprenticeship through Fas. Its typically four years but can run for longer as there can be a back log in the system.
    Its an on the job off the job 7 phase system, some of the phases are in Fas centers and some of the later ones for 3rd and 4th years are in college like DIT etc. I think you need to have 5 passes in your junior cert as a minimum but there could be ways around this if you dont have the JC, also you need to pass a colour vision test, make you are not colour blind...it happens a lot of people and they cant continue to do it..
    You need to find a company who will take you on too but the thing with electricians is there is now a massive over supply of these trades people since the end of the boom..Consider the amount of construction activity and domestic electrical work each year during the boom and the amount of electricians to cater for this activity...now consider how little construction is going on in ireland during these times.. The result is a large number of qualified and experienced electricians are now unemployed.. the construction industry federation say another 100,000 people could loose their jobs from the construction sector...there are very few large construction projects in the pipeline, one biggy in ballymun is all i know..
    any position that does arise is heavily sought after.
    An electrical contractor who recruits a first year apprentice would have to be some what confident of future work for the next four years for this apprenticeship to be of any real value to you...unfortunately this is not the case at the moment in my opinion due to the massive downturn in construction..
    if you do find an apprenticeship with a company it is likely you will be laid off before you complete it, this may happen several times & you may never complete it or it could take forever..i.e. being on first or second year pay rate after 3,4 or 5 years will be frustrating..this is a reality for many people in many trade apprenticeships.. however im sure there is exceptions to my views on this..
    but i think this is a fair summary of the situation you'll be facing..
    consider other options than electrical apprenticeships.. it is a really bad economic situation out there, employment opportunities are awful and it'll probably get worse before it gets better...
    Just food for thought...if 'Sparking' is what you want to do...go do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Alright there Stinicker,
    All of what is said above is true but I'm afraid FAS has a thing with employers now that they cannot take on an apprentice unless they can guarantee giving him/her the full 4 years. This isn't possible in this climate so noone is realy hiring new apprentices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated :) I will look into it anyways you'd never know what might happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Seanieke wrote: »
    Alright there Stinicker,
    All of what is said above is true but I'm afraid FAS has a thing with employers now that they cannot take on an apprentice unless they can guarantee giving him/her the full 4 years. This isn't possible in this climate so noone is realy hiring new apprentices.

Just started a course in the Netherlands online and u dont need a job to do it
    U can do all their courses online but the only problem is u need to go to the netherlands for your exams
    They start courses in english somwhere in set/oct this year and them i will put the url here on the forum
    After done ur exams u are eu qualified electrician.
    Ialready started a course but i did live there for 9 years so i can read and write dutch

its stupid that we need a job to do a course
    Why dont we have courses like the dutch here in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

sorry to hear your situation but i would say everyone knows about the electrical apprentiship but i didn't see any one tell you that you need a minimum of a junior cert exam with at least 6 pass subjects to enter in to the apprentiship or that is how it was when i started it about 11 years ago

this is to show that you can handle the exams involed and that you have dedication

but might i suggest going back to college as a mature student
    i am not sure of the requirements but i think you have to be 23 or above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭c.a.r.l

HI,
    I AM AN ELECTRICAL INSTRUCTOR WITH FAS. ALL OF THE FIRST REPLY IS CORRECT.
    HOWEVER IN RELATION TO THE EDUCATION YOU DO INDEED NEED 5 PASSES IN THE JUNIOR CERT TO QUALIFY...BUT THERE IS A FAS COURSE YOU CAN DO IF YOU DONT HAVE THIS MINIMUM REQUIREMENT IT IS CALLED THE PREPATORY PROGRAMME FOR APPRENTICESHIP OR THE PPA COURSE.
    THE COURSE INVOLVES MANY BASIC ASPECTS OF APPRENTICESHIP NAMELY METAL WORK/ WOODWORK/ MECH DRAWING/ ELECTRICAL/SCIENCE/ MATHS AND STUFF LIKE THIS. THE COURSE DURATION IS APPROX 10 MONTHS AND THERE IS AN ALLOWANCE FOR IT AS FAR AS I KNOW.
    ALSO YOU WILL WORK WITH AN EMPLOYER ONE DAY OF THE WEEK AS WORK EXPERIENCE DOING YOUR CHOSEN TRADE. WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN THE PAST IS THAT THE EMPLOYER WILL KEEP YOU ON IF HE IS HAPPY WITH YOU.

HOPE THIS HELPS

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pat2705

c.a.r.l wrote: »
    HI,
    I AM AN ELECTRICAL INSTRUCTOR WITH FAS. ALL OF THE FIRST REPLY IS CORRECT.
    HOWEVER IN RELATION TO THE EDUCATION YOU DO INDEED NEED 5 PASSES IN THE JUNIOR CERT TO QUALIFY...BUT THERE IS A FAS COURSE YOU CAN DO IF YOU DONT HAVE THIS MINIMUM REQUIREMENT IT IS CALLED THE PREPATORY PROGRAMME FOR APPRENTICESHIP OR THE PPA COURSE.
    THE COURSE INVOLVES MANY BASIC ASPECTS OF APPRENTICESHIP NAMELY METAL WORK/ WOODWORK/ MECH DRAWING/ ELECTRICAL/SCIENCE/ MATHS AND STUFF LIKE THIS. THE COURSE DURATION IS APPROX 10 MONTHS AND THERE IS AN ALLOWANCE FOR IT AS FAR AS I KNOW.
    ALSO YOU WILL WORK WITH AN EMPLOYER ONE DAY OF THE WEEK AS WORK EXPERIENCE DOING YOUR CHOSEN TRADE. WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN THE PAST IS THAT THE EMPLOYER WILL KEEP YOU ON IF HE IS HAPPY WITH YOU.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Hi there,
    Just a question about the electrical theory/mathematics....
    Is it hard or what's evolved in it,
    I'm thinking of doing either electrical or a plumbing Apprenticshp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Pat2705 wrote: »
    Hi there,

The maths will not be a problem for anyone that did not struggle with maths in the Junior cert. The hardest maths during the apprenticeship will not be a problem for anyone that has passed maths (ordinary level) int he leaving cert.

Anyone that has put the effort into electrical theory that i know has passed. Some find it harder than others.

These are two very different apprenticeships. My advice is to try a bit of work experience in both.

However you should be aware that there is very little work in Ireland for electricians at the moment. The work that is there is generally snapped up by the more experienced electricians. In general the pay is not what it was either. It will also be quite hard to get taken on as an apprentice and even harder to be kept on the the full 4 years that would be required to qualify. Think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pat2705

2011 wrote: »
    The maths will not be a problem for anyone that did not struggle with maths in the Junior cert. The hardest maths during the apprenticeship will not be a problem for anyone that has passed maths (ordinary level) int he leaving cert.

Anyone that has put the effort into electrical theory that i know has passed. Some find it harder than others.

These are two very different apprenticeships. My advice is to try a bit of work experience in both.

However you should be aware that there is very little work in Ireland for electricians at the moment. The work that is there is generally snapped up by the more experienced electricians. In general the pay is not what it was either. It will also be quite hard to get taken on as an apprentice and even harder to be kept on the the full 4 years that would be required to qualify. Think about it!

Yes I know they are Two very different Apprenticshps,
    I have a good bit of experience in domestic plumbing and a small bit of wiring experience,
    At the moment I'm unemployed and I just need a career change,
    Maybe there would be more work in Plumbing here in ireland in the future with upgrades

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

At the moment I'm unemployed and I just need a career change

Best of luck with it.
    Maybe there would be more work in Plumbing here in ireland in the future with upgrades

In general people do not have as much disposable income at the moment and the construction industry is not too healthy (as I am sure you know) so your timing is not good I'm afraid.

There will always be a degree of upgrades, both electrical and plumbing.

However if you feel that you would like to be an electrician I would suggest trying to get work in the industrial sector. This I feel would give you greater earning potential and make you more employable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Advertisement

Can we all stay on topic and behave like adults?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Hi there,
    Is it hard or what's evolved in it,

If your thinking of doing electrical, you should also consider the apprenticeship in electrical and instrumentation. There is a good future in E&I abroad, certainly better paid than electrical and far better paid than plumbing. I'd alot of experience in plumbing, with before I started my apprenticeship (firstly electrical before I moved to E&I) and I posed the same question should I choose plumbing or electrical, but i havent regretted the decision.

I assume by posting this you have probably seen than Jones Engineering are taking on plumbing and electrical apprentices at the moment. You should certainly apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Try the likes of mercury,always looking for apprentices,and I believe they are starting a new fab out in intel,it would be a start anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kelevra88

Hi there ,
    You seem to have a bit of knowledge around this area so i figured i'd ask you....
    Just wondering what place you did the electrician course with and if they provide courses in english ? or if you know of any other routes here ?, did electrical engineering in college but wanted to do this online to up-skill a bit.
    Thanks in advance, Robert
    Just started a course in the Netherlands online and u dont need a job to do it
    U can do all their courses online but the only problem is u need to go to the netherlands for your exams
    They start courses in english somwhere in set/oct this year and them i will put the url here on the forum
    After done ur exams u are eu qualified electrician.
    Ialready started a course but i did live there for 9 years so i can read and write dutch

its stupid that we need a job to do a course
    Why dont we have courses like the dutch here in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

kramer1 wrote: »
    Is this really the case ? Not being smart, just asking because this sounds like it could be a serious problem regarding future apprentices

Zombie thread. That was posted 8 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

kelevra88 wrote: »
    Hi there ,
    You seem to have a bit of knowledge around this area so i figured i'd ask you....
    Just wondering what place you did the electrician course with and if they provide courses in english ? or if you know of any other routes here ?, did electrical engineering in college but wanted to do this online to up-skill a bit.
    Thanks in advance, Robert

There is no way any employer would take an "electrician" who had done an online course to get a trade seriously. How do you gain practical experience (the most important part of being an electrician) from doing an online course?
    To be blunt it's an apprenticeship or nothing if you want to be an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads we are quoting 7 and 4 year old posts.
    Please open a new thread if you want to develop this.
    Some of he given information and institutions don't exist anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement