Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick-Galway Train has been found!

Options
  • 29-03-2010 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Today marks the return of a Train Service between Limerick and Galway after a 34 year hiccup in the scheduled service.....

Iarnod Eireann have signalled their delight, commitment and efficiency by not updating their crap Site to include any departure/arrival times, frequency of service or include any details of the basic fares.

Given that Limerick to Heuston one way still remains at a shocking €50 and the total travel time to Galway from Limerick by rail can be as incredibly long as 2.5 hours it might be worth considering getting your bike out of the Shed.

- Can anyone offer any reason why you wouldn't just opt to get the Bus? Surely its going to take half the time, not park up in Ennis for half the day and ultimately be a lot cheaper?

Apparently there has also been some complaints that Moyross has not been provided with its own Station to take advantage of this new route - Which in fairness does seem to be ridiculously harsh and unfair and probably the latest in a long series of incidents where Moyross hasn't been provided with its own Train Station to go places (?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The fact it heads up through Athenry is a reason for it's delay. If it went from Ardrahan through Gort, Clarenbridge and into Galway through Oranmore then it would be better but they had to build on pre existing tracks.

Reading the RTE website that a local limerick councillor is wondering why MOYROSS never got it's own station.

Why would Moyross need a station?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Berty wrote: »
    Because it is entitled to, just as it should have it's own airport, international sized, swimming pool, equestrian centre and football stadium, did you not know?, Moyross is the centre of the universe, all decisions regarding Limerick city must encompass Moyross, Southill and the Island, the rest of the city does'nt matter.
    Back on topic, the schedule for the train service is totally impractical, my wife, a regular traveller to Galway will continue to use the bus.

Bus is €13.50 Single

Train is €28.50 Single

Good luck selling a longer journey for more money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Citylink bus, 90 mins station to station, new buses and free wi-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Bus is €13.50 Single

Train is €28.50 Single

Good luck selling a longer journey for more money. :rolleyes:

Iarnrod Eireanns prices are phenomenal, you could fly to any number of interesting European destinations for what they expect you to pay for their woeful service - Its obvious that they've been killing the viability of rail travel in this Country for decades, but the fact that they are still in business at all is amazing in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its meant to be 20 euro day return, so in that case it would be cheaper to buy a return and obviously not come back.

New station at Sixmilebridge opens tommorow also- 9 euro return and 7.50 single to Limerick or Ennis. Bus is 6.50 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Its meant to be 20 euro day return, so in that case it would be cheaper to buy a return and obviously not come back.

New station at Sixmilebridge opens tommorow also- 9 euro return and 7.50 single to Limerick or Ennis. Bus is 6.50 return.
    id

9 quid to sixmilebridge! nearly better off to get a taxi.

:confused:

Who's going to move away from their job, family and friends for ever and ever just to defraud Iarnrod Eireann?

€7.50 to go to Sixmilebridge? You could nearly throw a stone out there from Limerick Station?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

A station in Moyross/Longpavement would have appeal/use on match days (or concerts) in Thomond Park I would have imagined. People could travel from all over the country to pretty close to the ground - busses could then be laid on to carry patrons directly to the gound.

A station there could also have a benefit to LIT. LIT has lots of students in Ennis and Sixmilebridge etc. As it stands, any potential students using the service have to go directly into town and then back out to Moylish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

As it stands, any potential students using the service have to go directly into town and then back out to Moylish.

Godhelpus.. when i went to school we actually did this thing called walking to school..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

2010 and only now theres a rail service between 2 of the biggests cities in Ireland... only in Ireland is all i can say:rolleyes:
    They should offer free travel for a time, because of the wait!! :)

Stab*City wrote: »
    Godhelpus.. when i went to school we actually did this thing called walking to school..

Well, now a days, students travel to college by car, clogging up our road network, no harm in offering a viable alternative when the rail line is less that 300meters down the road.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bloody pointless IMO. It takes longer than driving and they don't even have smoking carriages any more. Why bother re-opening it at all?

Bloody pointless IMO. It takes longer than driving and they don't even have smoking carriages any more. Why bother re-opening it at all?

Probably so they can over charge and under service the rest of the country.. you guys know why we dont have fast trains right and how we never will?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Yes, but the schools were also in hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A station in Moyross/Longpavement would have appeal/use on match days (or concerts) in Thomond Park I would have imagined. People could travel from all over the country to pretty close to the ground - busses could then be laid on to carry patrons directly to the gound.
    A station there could also have a benefit to LIT. LIT has lots of students in Ennis and Sixmilebridge etc. As it stands, any potential students using the service have to go directly into town and then back out to Moylish.

What is to stop buses being laid on to carry people from the current station to the ground?

Given that there are only to be three concerts a year in Thomond Park, plus on match days the attendence cannot be more than 26,000, I cannot see why a station should be build there.

If LIT is a reason for a railway station, then surely UL with it's much larger student population should have one?

And what about out by the Crescent Shopping Centre? That is the busiest shopping area bar none for Limerick, city or county.

Limerick is a small place, it does not need a second or third station so close to the main one. Not when a bus, bike or taxi would take you across the town for less than what Iarnrod Eireann would most likely charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I cannot think of a single reason as to why I would get a train to Galway instead of a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RonMexico wrote: »
    I cannot think of a single reason as to why I would get a train to Galway instead of a bus.

I cannot think of a reason why I would not take my car instead of the train. I would probably be able to drive to and from, plus leave the car in a car park for the day for the cost of the rail ticket, plus would have the advantage of driving right back to my front door.

It is madness that it is so much dearer than the bus and slower.

RonMexico wrote: »

I can.. TOILETS!! Most of our buses dont have them!! It was funny to hear the coverage of this on RTE News they made it sound like they were opening a space station or something.. The line has been there for years!! Its not like they even built anything!! I bet the trains are the same ones that used to ride that line 34 years ago!! As for the journey itself i can glady say (now i have a car) i will never use it.. 2-2 1/2 hours to galway!!:eek: You could run faster..

The rolling stoc being used on the limerick galway like are those cattlewagons they use from Limerick to Limerick Junction.

would rather pull my own eyeballs out than sit on one of those for three hours.

• Advertisement

The rolling stoc being used on the limerick galway like are those cattlewagons they use from Limerick to Limerick Junction.

would rather pull my own eyeballs out than sit on one of those for three hours.

The trains I saw them testing were those newish diesel trains. The Green Ones and I just saw them again on RTE news.

I understood they discountinued the use of the old ones when that girl fell out the door on the way from Limerick junction a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A great idea to have an alternative to the bus/car option, but those prices are outrageous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

How incompetent and not to mention stupid are CIE? This is a loss making route from day one and will have to be heavily subsidised by the taxpayer. As already stated, if they were going to do a direct line to Galway, they should have gone directly through Gort, Clarinbridge, Oranmore and onto Galway. Instead they do it the lazy mans way and take the route miles out the way to farflung Athenry that adds an extra hour to the journey. I do not care if there is existing track there, a new one should have been constructed. The money is there but the government would prefer to waste it on bankers pensions, pointless tribunals and st paddy's week junkets. Only in Ireland!

The trains I saw them testing were those newish diesel trains. The Green Ones and I just saw them again on RTE news.

I understood they discountinued the use of the old ones when that girl fell out the door on the way from Limerick junction a few years back.

the photo in the leader shows the driver on the train ... it is one of those limerick-limerick junction wagons he is driving.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-to-Galway-rail-service.6187707.jp

Kess73 wrote: »
    What is to stop buses being laid on to carry people from the current station to the ground?

Given that there are only to be three concerts a year in Thomond Park, plus on match days the attendence cannot be more than 26,000, I cannot see why a station should be build there.

There's nothing to stop people getting a bus from Colbert Station on match days, except that they will get choked in traffice on big match days. Anyway, I'm not calling for Grand Central Station to be built near the Longpavement - just a simple stop. A stop there would allow for easy access to/from Thomond Park.
    If LIT is a reason for a railway station, then surely UL with it's much larger student population should have one?

UL doesn't have an existing rail line running near it. LIT does. Trains are currently running from Ennis anyway.
    And what about out by the Crescent Shopping Centre? That is the busiest shopping area bar none for Limerick, city or county.

Agreed. A stop there would be an good idea.

the photo in the leader shows the driver on the train ... it is one of those limerick-limerick junction wagons he is driving.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-to-Galway-rail-service.6187707.jp

Oh I thought you meant the real old red ones. Sur' I was on one of those green things the whole way from Dublin to Limerick once.

Uncomfortable seats mind.

A great idea to have an alternative to the bus/car option, but those prices are outrageous!!

Despite their highway railway robbery, lack of routes, poor service and general shoddyness including claims that the Organisation is "Rife with fraud" CIE (Parent Company) are still allowed to potter around aimlessly - losing €40,000,000+ a year at the Taxpayers expense - effectively meaning they are actually costing the Citizen money even though we actually drive everywhere under our own steam ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I can.. TOILETS!! Most of our buses dont have them!! It was funny to hear the coverage of this on RTE News they made it sound like they were opening a space station or something.. The line has been there for years!! Its not like they even built anything!! I bet the trains are the same ones that used to ride that line 34 years ago!! As for the journey itself i can glady say (now i have a car) i will never use it.. 2-2 1/2 hours to galway!!:eek: You could run faster..

They tore up the entire line and replaced it, aswell as replacement of level crossings, new signalling, and new stations built, so technically they have ;)

The journey time is rediculous though- the first train in the morning has a pause of 25 minutes at Ennis- Because the first 2 carraiges go forward to Galway and the rear 2 go back to Limerick they have to split the train, but its no reason for such a long delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I'm sure someone has already pointed it out, but it bears repeating. Irish Rails website is utter, utter RUBBISH. It looks like it was designed in 1996 and hasn't been changed since. It is impossible to find basic information like train times and ticket prices. Bus Eireann's website must have been designed by the same blind chimpanzee. I did managed to find the frankly breathtaking cost of travelling between Dublin and Cork and Dublin and Limerick, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I agree the web site is abysmal. A real lazy effort.
    I needed to get a train to and from Dublin once and ended up ringing the staion to confirm times. They were different from what was on site.

Gave up with Bus Eireann trip to Shannon and booked via Kavanaghs web site which is easy to understand and use.

I prefer to travel by train than drive or use a coach as I can enjoy the view, work or stretch my legs but the 25 minute wait in ennis would irritate me.

Advertisement