Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newry Marathon 31st May 2010

• 29-03-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Anyone else in for this? I am going to do it as a training run for Portumna in June as I cant manage Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jaysus. I thought you were going to avoid the marathon websites!
    Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I was. But I saw the Portumna 50K and it grabbed me by the short and curlies. I was finding it very difficult to motivate myself to get out the door and do any training, so this was a great incentive. I need 3 or 4x 26 mile runs in training so its very handy that marathons are this distance:D. So , will do a few. It still leaves me 18 weeks for the sub 4 at the autumn end of the year. The increased mileage can only help anyway ;)

Best of luck in Connemara

Thanks. Look forward to hearing how you get on in Portumna, but I've a feeling it'll be no bother to you. You never know, you might get that sub 4 on the way to the 50k!

I thought as they are down as training runs that I should do them slowly??? So was going to just follow pacers for the 4.30 group.
    I would be nervous that If I went all out that I might bugger up the training for the Big P .
    Not sure how you even go about doing a little ultra.. do you just do 70% effort the whole way ie lsr slow pace to get to the finish line? IS it like your first marathon- survive ti and then see how much faster you go from there?
    Is Conne your first Ultra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Whats your current pb got to trot? Run this at least 1 min a mile slower id say. Im doing something similar this year, using other marathons as warm up for pb attempts.

• Advertisement

Yep, Connemara is going to be my first. My marathon pace is around 6:37/mile, so my plan is to go out at around 7:40/mile. I'm not racing this though. Just dipping my toe in to see what it's like. See if maybe I'd like to try running some more in future (a little faster).

You have the advantage of having some time to train for it. The general guidance is back to back long runs, i.e. 15 miles on Saturday, followed by 15 miles on Sunday, building up to around 20/20. But you might get away with something lighter on a 50k. I'm no expert. I fully expect to have a dreadful experience in Connemara!

OIsin, Im much slower than Krusty the Inkredible ;)
    My best is 4.10 including a portaloo stop. Didnt get as much training in over the winter as I expectd. Im a bit too chicken to realy push it and only usually speed up by about 10 secs per mile faster from maathon to mrathon . Im probably not far off the 4 hours but am afraid to really go for it.
    For Newry...Was thinking about 10:15 minute miles but anywhere between 10 and 10;30 depending on heart rate. Will try to keep it training pace low. Just going for a jaunt:D

What others are you doing? And whats your target race?

Ive done 1 already in january. Have a goal race on april 11 in blackpool. Then limerick, edinburgh, cork, portumna, longford, dublin. About i or 5 others im thinking about to.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

before you start all these races you would want to stop playing with little Oisin in your trousers you dirty pervert ha,roll on Edinburgh ya filthy animal

kandikane wrote: »
    before you start all these races you would want to stop playing with little Oisin in your trousers you dirty pervert ha,roll on Edinburgh ya filthy animal

Haha i thought you were off the drink:-)

• Advertisement

I am thats why im on boards at this time of night my typing with my bottle opening fingers )

Kandiman- you all set for Paris?

Oisin- what is your target time? And you doing the portumna marathon or ultra? Will be nice to meet up at last :). Addictive stuff this ...isnt it;)

Target is 3h15m in blackpool. 3h24 in gloucester in january. Just the marathon in portumna for me. Ill do am ultra when i go under 3 hours for the marathon:-)

Ive a friend doing a marathon a month . Doesnt have time to train so he just does this instead and if he has time he does an occasional 10 or 5 km race in betweeen. He is going to break the 3.15 in Edinburgh so you would be similar standard/pace. Mighty. Could only ever dream of it ,:D
    Do you do your traning marathons then at slow pace or do you do them at a bit more tempo but not quite full marathon pace/effort?

Hi
    hot to trot im all set for paris looking forward to it now i see your doind every marathon possible this year ha,hows things?

Gud thanks. Watch out the transvestite go go dancers and the fireman :Dwhen you are passing them in Paris.

Ive a friend doing a marathon a month . Doesnt have time to train so he just does this instead and if he has time he does an occasional 10 or 5 km race in betweeen. He is going to break the 3.15 in Edinburgh so you would be similar standard/pace. Mighty. Could only ever dream of it ,:D
    Do you do your traning marathons then at slow pace or do you do them at a bit more tempo but not quite full marathon pace/effort?
    I have not decided yet what pace to do the slow 1s to be honest. Probably somewhere between 8.15 and 8.30 a mile i think. Ill know more after blackpool. God knows tbh ill most probably go with the flow:D

is 8.15-8.30 your usual slow pace or is it a bit niftier? IM not sure how conservative to be. I am supposed to do a 10 the following day but am wondering would I be better doing it easy but a bit quicker than really slow and just skipping the 10 the following day.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Anyone else in for this? I am going to do it as a training run for Portumna in June as I cant manage Cork.

I was going to do it but decided on longford instead. The first 11 miles are supposed to be quite hilly. I did the half last year (not the same course) and the series of hills at 6 miles felt almost vertical. This section is not in the marathon but would beware of those early miles anyhow - dont want to wreck yourself.

The HM (same day as mara etc) was very well organised.

Sorry to miss you in Longford. I decided to do Galway instead.Couldnt resist the chance of entry for draw for the antarctic marathon. Will check out the Portumna gradient. We have ten laps so I hope there wont be too many hills. Thanks Good luck to you .

• Advertisement
Advertisement