Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching a course in a VEC?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

if I wanted to start teaching a course in a VEC - what would I need to do?

Im planning on doing the fetac level 6 trainer training course - is that course + industy experience enough to be a teacher at the city of dublin vec?

ps. How much do vec teachers get paid I wonder?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure what you want to do. Do you want to suggest a night class that is not already being run?
    Contact your local VEC and ask them what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Section 30 of The Teaching Council Act, 2001 states that only a registered teacher may be employed as a teacher in a recognised school and remunerated by the school out of State funds. This section of the Act is expected to commence later this year and will apply to all teachers in the VEC sector regardless of whether it is pre or post Leaving Cert.

So it really depends on what type of teaching you wish to deliver in the VEC sector. If you want to obtain a teaching position in a VEC centre that focuses on FE (FETAC etc) and teach on a course leading to a qualification i.e. not a hobby course but a FETAC or other course then you will need in the coming months to be registered with the Teaching Council and hold the necessary qualifications i.e. a degree or approval under a Circular Letter.

Regulation 5 of the registration process applies to FE teachers. It does not apply to those teaching
    i) Adult literacy or numeracy courses unless leading to accreditation
    (ii) Courses of a pastime or hobby nature unless leading to accreditation
    (iii) Self funding courses where the tutor or instructor is not being paid from
    State funds.

Further details can be obtained from;
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/TC_Legislation/Registration_Regulations_56873374._resigned_by_Minister_18_Nov_2009pdf.pdf

If your area of interest does not have a degree e.g. Beauty Therapy or Hairdressing then there are specific Circular Letters issued by the Dept of Education and Science stating the necessary qualifications that you are required to hold. Teachers whose qualifications are deemed to meet the qualifications requirements for this education sector would previously have been recognised according to one of the following circulars of the Department of Education and Science:
    • Circular 32/92
    • Circular 44/00
    • Circular 04/04

From April 2013, all new teachers in the VEC and further education sectors will be required to have an approved teacher education qualification ie similar to the Higher Diploma in Education. Prior to that a degree in the area you wish to teach in (or similar acceptable qualification e.g. Circular Letters) and registration with the Teaching Council seems to be acceptable. However if you are on a non-permanent temporary position then you may require these to gain permanency.

I know this sound technical but I hope it answers your question. Check with the HR department of the VEC for further clarification and do remember that this sector is changing rapidly in terms of what is required for incoming teachers and the competition is intense for positions with many applying holding Level 9 qualifications and relevant industry experience.

FETAC Level 6 Train the Trainer will not meet the Teaching Council requirements and payment rates for a VEC teacher can be viewed at http://www.tui.ie/Salary_Scales/Default.286.html

Advertisement