Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiling decking

Options
  • 29-03-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering what people reckon is the best decking oil to use and how to apply it ? I have a sizeable amount to oil so is the spray the best way to go ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Luis21 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering what people reckon is the best decking oil to use and how to apply it ? I have a sizeable amount to oil so is the spray the best way to go ?

thanks.
    I did mine two years ago with Oil that my builder supplied, I also mixed in some brown pigment.
    I used a cloth and some knee pads and did it manually, however I have smooth deck boards not the kind with grooves in them.
    You really need to get the oil into the wood, not just on top and spray won't allow the stuff to soak in, it is quite a slow process because if you just spray a coat on it will dry and additional coats won't penetrate they just sit on top as well.
    Better to use a brush or rag IMO
    If I was doing grooved boards I have seen has an applicator with a brush that you can use standing, but not sure who makes it.
    Colortrend have some very good quality deckoil but it is not cheap.

Advertisement