Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane to be sacked?

• 29-03-2010 10:08am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heard it on the sports news and the Mirror has the story(yes I know it's the Mirror and the story is from Saturday)

Full Story

Cant find any other source though...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great player but he just not cut out to be manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They should have ditched him berfore christmas, he's not been very good at all.
    Why would they want to change things at this stage of the season?
    I'd be surprised if he left now, but he'll probably be packing his bags in the summer.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Heard it on the sports news and the Mirror has the story(yes I know it's the Mirror and the story is from Saturday)

Full Story

Roy Keane will be sacked as Ipswich manager this week, although he could make a quick return to work, with Celtic considering making him Tony Mowbray's successor.
    Full story: The Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Keane to Celtic, Mowbray to Ipswich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Roy Keane will be sacked as Ipswich manager this week, although he could make a quick return to work, with Celtic considering making him Tony Mowbray's successor.
    Full story: The Guardian

Crazy if he gets the sack at this stage of the season. Ipswich have slowly started to turn it around. I think he should be given another season. He may have performed miracles at Sunderland but he had plenty of money.

If he does get the sack i think he might take a break from Management for a while which might be good from him istead of jumping into another job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only a matter of time before he gets the chop, he's been a disaster as Ipswich's manager and Celtic would be mental to even thinking appointing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭DanR

What's the bet he walks out before being sacked?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Vanbis wrote: »
    Crazy if he gets the sack at this stage of the season. Ipswich have slowly started to turn it around. I think he should be given another season. He may have performed miracles at Sunderland but he had plenty of money.

If he does get the sack i think he might take a break from Management for a while which might be good from him istead of jumping into another job.

Miracles - don't think so!
    He spent EUR100m and left them rock bottom of the PL, isolated the playing staff and stop talking to Niall Quinn.
    At Ipswich he has been a complete disaster from day one.
    Only Rangers fans will want him at Celtic.

Only a matter of time before he gets the chop, he's been a disaster as Ipswich's manager and Celtic would be mental to even thinking appointing him.

he'd be mental to take the Celtic job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DanR wrote: »
    What's the bet he walks out before being sacked?:rolleyes:

Didn't Sunderland stay in the PL after he left? who's to say that was a bad decision on his part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

He spent EUR100m and left them rock bottom of the PL, isolated the playing staff and stop talking to Niall Quinn.
    At Ipswich he has been a complete disaster from day one.
    Only Rangers fans will want him at Celtic.

And isnt his turning around of Sunderland somewhat overrated? They were bottom of their league, but it was only something like October/ November IIRC, and it is a league of relatively equally classed teams, with few heavyweights at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Full Story

Good. he doesn't have what it takes to be a manager.

It was obvious he has never liked Quinn even if they said they apologised and forgot the pass, that was bull. The fact is he got them into the premiership and they had decent first season. The club and owner got what they wanted, premiership football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

And isnt his turning around of Sunderland somewhat overrated? They were bottom of their league, but it was only something like October/ November IIRC, and it is a league of relatively equally classed teams, with few heavyweights at all.

what tripe! I thought you had to have 50 posts to post here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Please appoint him Celtic...please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Great player, poor manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

bryanjf wrote: »
    what tripe! I thought you had to have 50 posts to post here

Im oldskool and predate you by at least a year here

n00b :pac:

Really, Roy saves Sunderland wasnt exactly as epic as Arry saving Spurs.

Im oldskool and predate you by at least a year here

n00b :pac:

Really, Roy saves Sunderland wasnt exactly as epic as Arry saving Spurs.

don't you mean portsmouth?

noob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

He spent 100 Million at Sunderland?? Find that hard to belive considering he seemed to sign Man Utd rejects/oldies most of whom he dismissed as not up to it during his open critism of the team on MUTV . Anyone got a link to these transfers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

dont know if its £100m but he spent £80m on these, there are also a few undisclosed in there:

Liam Miller. Free. Manchester United Dwight Yorke. Free. Sydney FC Graham Kavanagh. £500,000. Wigan Stanislav Varga. £550,000. Celtic David Connolly. £1.4m. Wigan Ross Wallace. £550,000. Celtic Lewis Nyatanga. Loan. Derby Jonny Evans. Loan. Manchester United Marton Fulop. £500,000. Tottenham Carlos Edwards. £1.4m. Luton Anthony Stokes. £2m. Arsenal Danny Simpson. Loan. Manchester United Stern John. Undisclosed. Coventry
    2007/8
    Craig Gordon. £9m. Hearts Paul McShane. £2.5m. West Brom Dickson Etuhu. £1.5m. Norwich Kieran Richardson. £5.5m. Manchester United Michael Chopra. £5m. Cardiff Greg Halford. £2.5m. Reading Roy O'Donovan. Undisclosed. Cork City Russell Anderson. £1m. Aberdeen Danny Higginbotham. £2.5m. Stoke Kenwyne Jones. £6m. Southampton Ian Harte. Free. Levante Andrew Cole. Free. Portsmouth Phil Bardsley. £2m. Manchester United Rade Prica. £2m. FC Aalborg Andy Reed. £4m. Charlton Yves Mvoto-Mvoto. £300,000. Paris Saint-Germain
    2008/9
    Nick Colgan. Free. Ipswich George McCartney. £4.5m. West Ham Anton Ferdinand. £8m. West Ham Pascal Chimbonda. Undisclosed. Tottenham Teemu Tainio. £4m. Tottenham Steed Malbranque. £5m. Tottenham David Meyler. Undisclosed. Cork City Djibril Cisse. Loan. Marseilles David Healy. £1.2m. Fulham El-Hadji Diouf. £2.5m. Bolton

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    West Ham Anton Ferdinand. £8m.

Plenty of duds but the biggest is Anton Ferdinand £8m.

Plenty of duds but the biggest is Anton Ferdinand £8m.

i'll see your Ferdinand and raise you a Paul Mcshane

bryanjf wrote: »
    i'll see your Ferdinand and raise you a Paul Mcshane

I'll raise you Stanislav Varga ;)

One wonders how Mcshane was ever at Manutd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

39 players though. Think it highlights the inflated prices paid in the market then ie Gordon,Ferdinand & McShane. Bruce has started paying a lot for players aswell though ie Bent.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    39 players though. Think it highlights the inflated prices paid in the market then ie Gordon,

I think the money they paid for Gordon was big for them at the time but he is start to prove himself and is a good keeper.

Kevin Philips said yesterday Niall Quinn felt the pressure when they bought him and he wasnt playing that well, question marks as usual.

He spent 100 Million at Sunderland?? Find that hard to belive considering he seemed to sign Man Utd rejects/oldies most of whom he dismissed as not up to it during his open critism of the team on MUTV . Anyone got a link to these transfers?

GBP80m which was EUR100m at that time - it was EUR100m I said originally.

Sunderland were bottom of the Championship after 4 games only - September - it's not like they were Carlisle United.

I think Roy's introspective nature alienates his players and the man should take an extended break from the game and enjoy his life for once.

I'll raise you Stanislav Varga ;)

One wonders how Mcshane was ever at Manutd.

it's his ginger hair, it's magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He is doing a good job at Ipswich, he has turned them around now and they are in a pretty comfortable position, they are like 9-10 points above the relegation zone and 11 points off promotion

the story is only in the news cause of Tony Mowbray getting sacked

still showing promise as a young manager, hope he does succeed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

39 players though. Think it highlights the inflated prices paid in the market then ie Gordon,Ferdinand & McShane. Bruce has started paying a lot for players aswell though ie Bent.

I'd swap all 39 of Keane's rubbish signings for one Darren Bent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

what a load of ****e gets talked on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

kryogen wrote: »
    He is doing a good job at Ipswich, he has turned them around now and they are in a pretty comfortable position, they are like 9-10 points above the relegation zone and 11 points off promotion

Are you for real :eek: They have spent most of the season fighting off relegation when they should have been going for promotion, most of his signings have been pants, he has got rid of the top scorer at the club, isolated others, buys players then sends them on loan??

The man needs to go and fast. Get Curbs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd swap all 39 of Keane's rubbish signings for one Darren Bent.

A lot of the players he bought were bought for 1 or 2 seasons, did a job and were sold for similar amounts to what they were bought for and superior players were bought imo

Liam O wrote: »
    A lot of the players he bought were bought for 1 or 2 seasons, did a job and were sold for similar amounts to what they were bought for and superior players were bought imo

and he even admitted he bought players because he needed bodies and not because he rates them. Clueless.

what a load of ****e gets talked on here

I hope you just didn't realise that today !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Pure speculation as of now. But can definitely see it happening. His attitude and persona doesn't cut it, to be a manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

angel01 wrote: »
    and he even admitted he bought players because he needed bodies and not because he rates them. Clueless.

He also admitted that the way he made signings willy nilly when they got promoted was a big mistake and he should have been less impulsive in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

It would seem an unusual time to sack him,If i was in charge there I'd give him til the first 10-15 games of next season

gustavo wrote: »
    It would seem an unusual time to sack him,If i was in charge there I'd give him til the first 10-15 games of next season

They sacked Jim Magilton roughly at the same time, gives the new manager a bit of time to get to know the squad before the transfer window opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Roy Keane has the potential to be a good manager, if he didn't use fear as his main motivational skill. I think a lot of his players are afraid of him to be honest, fearful of expressing themselves and always under pressure to do the right thing by Keane. The likes of Bruce at the back seem to get the jitters once it comes near the 90 minute mark, probably distracted by the almost inevitable bollocking they're about to get post match. I agree with the comment about sending players out on loan needlessly i.e. Tamas Priskin, one of the league's better strikers, who he sent on loan to Palace. It beggars belief.

They sacked Jim Magilton roughly at the same time, gives the new manager a bit of time to get to know the squad before the transfer window opens.

Yea but why sack him now when he seems to be doing better , Surely sacking him when they were in the relegation spots would make more sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

He is not doing a good job. The club is under performing. They were expected push for promotion this season and they have no hope of being promoted. Just because they have not been as **** lately doesn't mean he is doing a good job. You have to look at the grand scheme of things.

I do think he deserves another season at least, although I am still not confident he has what it takes to be a top manager. Time will tell.

I know one thing, if he walks, there won't be a chairman around who will touch him with a 10ft pole. Not a club of relatively high stature anyhow.

Yea but why sack him now when he seems to be doing better , Surely sacking him when they were in the relegation spots would make more sense

They aren't doing that much better, they lost to Plymouth recently and their results have been too patchy. They should be much higher in the table. They barely beat Barnsley, Lost to Watford, drew against Scunthorpe, Bristol City, these are teams you should be beating.

Your comment about a lot of rubbish getting talked on this site is accurate - and you're doing most of it! :pac:

Jim Magilton got the bullet last year when Ipswich just failed to get into the playoffs and that was the minimum requirement for Roy Keane this year.

By any standard he has been crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

The mans an attention seeker, loves the sound of his own voice. Every week he says something controversial or stupid to make headlines or make the press laugh. His personality does not suit management and his buying of players is woeful!!!!!!

The most laughable thing was he just can't stop shooting his mouth, the latest one was slagging off the best player Ipswich ever had (and who managed Plymouth who beat Ipswich), that shows so much disrespect.

The mans an attention seeker, loves the sound of his own voice. Every week he says something controversial or stupid to make headlines or make the press laugh. His personality does not suit management and his buying of players is woeful!!!!!!

I agree he has bought some dirt duds through out his time but he can attract so many players that will come to Ipswich. Just because its Roy keane does not mean he will attract world stars. He had a good rep as a player, he needs to build his rep now as a manager and if he gets the sack it wont look too good. The minimum targe was promotion and they have failed but i still think he should be given another season.

They aren't doing that much better, they lost to Plymouth recently and their results have been too patchy. They should be much higher in the table. They barely beat Barnsley, Lost to Watford, drew against Scunthorpe, Bristol City, these are teams you should be beating.
    Well I'm not an expert on that league so I'll bow to your knowledge.Just seems strange to sack him when they are now midtable rather than when they were relegation candidates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Liam O wrote: »

Indeed. Sometimes a manager has higher ambitions in terms of players that he wants but sometimes, they just aren't available and he has to settle for an inferior stopgap to make up a shortfall in bodies for that position.

Saying that, I really don't rate him as a manager. There seems to be a disproportionately large number of United fans defending him too. Wonder what is going on there....

Well I'm not an expert on that league so I'll bow to your knowledge.Just seems strange to sack him when they are now midtable rather than when they were relegation candidates

But they were going from promotion and have finished lower than in any previous season

I agree he has bought some dirt duds through out his time but he can attract so many players that will come to Ipswich. Just because its Roy keane does not mean he will attract world stars. He had a good rep as a player, he needs to build his rep now as a manager and if he gets the sack it wont look too good. The minimum targe was promotion and they have failed but i still think he should be given another season.

But some of the ones he has bought for quite a lot of money have either been sent on loan or are nowhere near the first team so it is just a waste of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement