Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane to be sacked?

13»

Comments

kensutz wrote: »
    Obviously since I'm a Norwich supporter :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how I was meant to know that !

I'm assuming you would be gutted if Keane was sacked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How are Ipswich playing? I notice they draw almost half their games.
    Could a couple of goalscorers make the difference or is it team wide problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Having stuck with Keane for so long it'd be strange to sack him now. Yeah he's not doing great, but a decent run between now and the end of the season is all that's needed to get a decent top half finish. Looking at the table the big thing that stands out is how many matches they are drawing, it shows they are doing something they can build on, afterall it's hard work grinding out a draw when things aren't going your way. Give him til the end of the season imo, if he's in the bottom half get rid, if he's in the top half give him another go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

After 14 games, Ipswich were in last position with 8 points (0.57 ppg). I'm surprised he wasn't sacked then.

Now they are 16th with 48 points from 40 games (1.2 ppg).

Some people feel that the start of the season was a blip that won't be repeated so, since then they've earned 40 points from 26 games (1.54 ppg). That form would have them in the playoff places on 62 points.

Based on that, they have done fairly well since that "blip" and I think he does deserve one more season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

It's easy say give him one more season but what if he has another diabolical Transfer Market. At the moment no club can afford to splash fees like 5 Million for Chopra or 4 Million for Taino. He has no Transfer Market nous and thats whats needed. The odds are Keane will pay over the top for a couple of Strikers who have had a good few months, he doesn't sign players to suit his style he just buys guys he thinks will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

peabutler wrote: »
    It's easy say give him one more season but what if he has another diabolical Transfer Market. At the moment no club can afford to splash fees like 5 Million for Chopra or 4 Million for Taino. He has no Transfer Market nous and thats whats needed. The odds are Keane will pay over the top for a couple of Strikers who have had a good few months, he doesn't sign players to suit his style he just buys guys he thinks will do.

do you honestly think he has the time to go scouting players himself? seriously like, there are scouts at every club, they recommend players to him, he does need a better scouting network alright, but he will have that with time, i hope

he has not been diablolical in the tranfer market, this is just wrong, he has had more duds then studs at the moment, but that is due to him buying in bulk in the first season with Sunderland to get bodies in, and since he said himself, there was no actual scouting network in place in sunderland when he arrived so he had little to go on

i am well aware that he has many flaws as a manager, but the utter hatred toward him from some is unreal, i mean, would you expect him to be a top class manager at this stage of his managerial career?

name one manager who has been top class, from the first job

Keane had success with Sunderland, he won the Championship with them, he kept them up, he owed them nothing, he succeeded in recovering from an awful start to this season with Ipswich, when there were plenty saying he would be walking/sacked again, he didnt, he stuck at it and he has them playing much better, the avg. ppg was put up by another poster on the last page, this shows he is making progress all season. they would be in the playoffs but for that ridiculous run at the start of the season, and again, i just cannot see that happening again. Next season I expect him to be pushing on up the table, and if he is not a playoff contender next season, then yes, his position will come under plausible scrutiny, but now, at this stage of the season! leave it out

Michael Chopra was mentioned as a dud?? he is a perfect example of a striker who will score plenty of goals in the Championship

Just signing guys who suit his style? fail also, he hated the type of players that Diouff and Chimbonda etc. are, yet he saw that they could provide a bit of class potentially to the squad so he signed them and took his chance

The amount of spite for Keane among certain fans is hilarious to me, you would swear he had taken the jam out of their doughnut at some stage

I am a huge Keane fan, this is obvious, but i am well able to admit that he is not anywhere near a top level manager now, he has shown some promise in his managerial career thus far though. he has many flaws and they may or may not be worked out with experience the job brings

time will tell, and on a personal level, i really really hope he shuts every one of the bitter anti-keane brigade up and makes them eat their words

he did it as a player against plenty of odds, wouldnt be so quick to write him off as a manager with the desire to succeed that drives him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jasonorr wrote: »
    After 14 games, Ipswich were in last position with 8 points (0.57 ppg). I'm surprised he wasn't sacked then.

Some people feel that the start of the season was a blip that won't be repeated so, since then they've earned 40 points from 26 games (1.54 ppg). That form would have them in the playoff places on 62 points.

Based on that, they have done fairly well since that "blip" and I think he does deserve one more season at least.

This forum needs more posts like this. The only conclusion from those numbers is that things are improving and moving in the right direction, and he deserves more time.

On a wider level, managers just aren't being provided enough time to turn clubs around these days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

kryogen wrote: »

Josep Guardiola :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This forum needs more posts like this.

How, You cannot apply a points formula like that to Football, teams will have 'Blips' Be it for 3 games or 14 games they still happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I am a huge Keane fan, this is obvious, but i am well able to admit that he is not anywhere near a top level manager now, he has shown some promise in his managerial career thus far though. he has many flaws and they may or may not be worked out with experience the job brings

This basically sums up why if I was an Ipswich fan I would want him sacked. I'd have huge worries about putting the financial future of the club in Keane hands given his transfer history and in general his lack of experience is a huge worry. Ipswich have put themselves in a position were they really need to be pushing for promotion, and automatic promotion with they money they have spend over the last few years. I'd have serious question marks over any owner who didn't have a long hard think about keeping Keane on or not. The fact he has only been there one season doesn't make a difference, he's already spend £9m in one season alone and taken the club backwards, should he really been given another £5m+?
    How, You cannot apply a points formula like that to Football, teams will have 'Blips' Be it for 3 games or 14 games they still happen.

Don't be silly, next year the championship games will only be last 80 minutes per game and long runs without a win will be ignored if your Ipswich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kryogen wrote:
    Waiting for eze to crash into this thread now :) . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

the only benefit to having keano as manager at your club is that he'll pack em in at the press conferences where he'll say something stupid and take the attention of his dismal performance as a manager and then mention his dog, kids or wife.

he'll be at celtic by end of week and at 15/1 we should all pile on

do you honestly think he has the time to go scouting players himself? seriously like, there are scouts at every club, they recommend players to him, he does need a better scouting network alright, but he will have that with time, i hope

he has not been diablolical in the tranfer market, this is just wrong, he has had more duds then studs at the moment, but that is due to him buying in bulk in the first season with Sunderland to get bodies in, and since he said himself, there was no actual scouting network in place in sunderland when he arrived so he had little to go on

i am well aware that he has many flaws as a manager, but the utter hatred toward him from some is unreal, i mean, would you expect him to be a top class manager at this stage of his managerial career?

Keane had success with Sunderland, he won the Championship with them, he kept them up, he owed them nothing, he succeeded in recovering from an awful start to this season with Ipswich, when there were plenty saying he would be walking/sacked again, he didnt, he stuck at it and he has them playing much better, the avg. ppg was put up by another poster on the last page, this shows he is making progress all season. they would be in the playoffs but for that ridiculous run at the start of the season, and again, i just cannot see that happening again. Next season I expect him to be pushing on up the table, and if he is not a playoff contender next season, then yes, his position will come under plausible scrutiny, but now, at this stage of the season! leave it out

Michael Chopra was mentioned as a dud?? he is a perfect example of a striker who will score plenty of goals in the Championship

Just signing guys who suit his style? fail also, he hated the type of players that Diouff and Chimbonda etc. are, yet he saw that they could provide a bit of class potentially to the squad so he signed them and took his chance

The amount of spite for Keane among certain fans is hilarious to me, you would swear he had taken the jam out of their doughnut at some stage

time will tell, and on a personal level, i really really hope he shuts every one of the bitter anti-keane brigade up and makes them eat their words

he did it as a player against plenty of odds, wouldnt be so quick to write him off as a manager with the desire to succeed that drives him

kryogen, your posting is all win lately.

Don't be silly, next year the championship games will only be last 80 minutes per game and long runs without a win will be ignored if your Ipswich.

lol

So you can't see how that post breaks down in a very simple way the fact that their results have improved as the season has gone on? And the fact that they have produced form over a significant run of games that would be at a level sufficient to put a team in the playoff hunt (the stated objective of the club)? And that (crucially) that run of form has been in the latter half of the season thus far?

blah, blah, transfers, experience, Saipan, Halland, guide dogs, rabble rabble

lol

So you can't see how that post breaks down in a very simple way the fact that their results have improved as the season has gone on? And the fact that they have produced form over a significant run of games that would be at a level sufficient to put a team in the playoff hunt (the stated objective of the club)? And that (crucially) that run of form has been in the latter half of the season thus far?

blah, blah, transfers, experience, Saipan, Halland, guide dogs, rabble rabble

I know the results have improved, however before the season he was probably told that the club expect him to mount a play-off challenge, especially after spending probably the most money on players in Ipswichs history for him to have spend the season battling relegation is a pretty poor return. But who cares? If games last 80 minutes they be top of the league, blah blah blah, the FA should have started season in october blah blah blah.

I know the results have improved, however before the season he was probably told that the club expect him to mount a play-off challenge, especially after spending probably the most money on players in Ipswichs history for him to have spend the season battling relegation is a pretty poor return. But who cares? If games last 80 minutes they be top of the league, blah blah blah, the FA should have started season in october blah blah blah.

So sack him after 14 games when that was beyond the club. Keeping him around to this point, seeing him get the team into a position where they are producing to a playoff challenging level, and then sacking him anyway makes NO sense.

And has as been explained above, the 80mins / results since October things are actually relevant to this situation because they indicate that things are right in some respect in terms of performance on the pitch.

Hatred over what he did as a player / comments he makes in the media aren't when it comes to assessing his managerial performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You just don't talk any sense at all dude.

How, You cannot apply a points formula like that to Football

lol

I wonder how bookies ever make money.

So sack him after 14 games when that was beyond the club. Keeping him around to this point, seeing him get the team into a position where they are producing to a playoff challenging level, and then sacking him anyway makes NO sense.

And has as been explained above, the 80mins / results since October things are actually relevant to this situation because they indicate that things are right in some respect in terms of performance on the pitch.

Hatred over what he did as a player / comments he makes in the media aren't when it comes to assessing his managerial performance.

I would have sacked him then as well. Of course it makes sense if they are going to get Moberry (or a manager that wasn't available back then) in as manager. They could have felt Keane was the still the best man to try and avoid relegation but now they might feel he's not the right man to try and get them promotion.

You can blah blah the transfer as much as you want, but the fact you don't deem it important is incredible. How a manager spending the most on players in the clubs history and then managing to accumlate a points totals that has been the lowest in atleast 5 years is of no revelance is bizarre thinking. All my comments have been on Keane and what he has done as Ipswich manager, none have been on what he did as a player/comments so I find it comical you can bring that up. It seems your ideal way of evaluating him is by ignoring a huge chunk of the season and the last 10 minutes of games.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    You just don't talk any sense at all dude.

Coming from you that's epic.

• Advertisement

I would have sacked him then as well. Of course it makes sense if they are going to get Moberry (or a manager that wasn't available back then) in as manager. They could have felt Keane was the still the best man to try and avoid relegation but now they might feel he's not the right man to try and get them promotion.

You can blah blah the transfer as much as you want, but the fact you don't deem it important is incredible. How a manager spending the most on players in the clubs history and then managing to accumlate a points totals that has been the lowest in atleast 5 years is of no revelance is bizarre thinking. All my comments have been on Keane and what he has done as Ipswich manager, none have been on what he did as a player/comments so I find it comical you can bring that up. It seems your ideal way of evaluating him is by ignoring a huge chunk of the season and the last 10 minutes of games.

lol, it takes time to properly assess the impact of new signings on a club, time for players to gel. There is no doubt that the start of the season was not acceptable in terms of pulling the whole thing together. But those signings are now producing. They are his players. They have bought into what he is doing.

lol, it takes time to properly assess the impact of new signings on a club, time for players to gel. There is no doubt that the start of the season was not acceptable in terms of pulling the whole thing together. But those signings are now producing. They are his players. They have bought into what he is doing.

Some of them are, still some of his bigger signs haven't though. Priskin(£1.8m) is on loan at QPR havign played 9 times for Ipswich. Lee Martin(£2m) again has only played 9 times, the other 3 have done well. As I said the it would be pretty poor fro the owners to not have a proper think about the managerial situation if they plan on handing Keane even more money to spend.

Some of them are, still some of his bigger signs haven't though. Priskin(£1.8m) is on loan at QPR havign played 9 times for Ipswich. Lee Martin(£2m) again has only played 9 times, the other 3 have done well. As I said the it would be pretty poor fro the owners to not have a proper think about the managerial situation if they plan on handing Keane even more money to spend.

Most managers fall well below 100% success rate in the transfer market.

Josep Guardiola :pac:

tbf, his first job was to manage one of the best club sides ever seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

jasonorr wrote: »

Great post. Impossible to argue with. Some people are so small minded its unreal. They have drawn 18 matches which means they have been beat very little. They have become a solid dependable unit. All pulling together and following the managers instructions. If he had lost the dressing room there would be far worse results and they would have taken a few hammerings along the way. People go on about signings as if he needs to change the entire team for next year. The squad he has now provided he can hang onto his loan signings would be strong enough to challenge for a play off spot. If he can add a decent finisher a la Kevin Phillips and a bit of craft to the midfield then they should be able to turn some of those draws to wins and make things a lot more comfortable for themselves. The chances of going 14 games at the start of the season without a win are incredibly slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

What has Tony Mowbray done in his managerial career that Keane hasnt, both won promotion to the prem, difference was that Keane actually kept his team there. I dont see how Mowbray could be an improvement

• Advertisement

Most managers fall well below 100% success rate in the transfer market.

Yep, Keane certainly falls a long way below it.

Rob113 wrote: »
    What has Tony Mowbray done in his managerial career that Keane hasnt, both won promotion to the prem, difference was that Keane actually kept his team there. I dont see how Mowbray could be an improvement

I think the difference is about £80m spend to keep them there and then to leave them in the relegation zone. I just think he's a better manager who plays a good style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Rob113 wrote: »

Did well with hibs too. Got them into the top 4 for a couple of years and won manager of the year iirc

Why is it ok to defend Rafa due to net spend but not Keane? do you know his net spend while at Sunderland?

It is certainly not 80million

The truth is, only personal preference really separates Mowbray and Keane in terms of achievement tbh, so calls of Mowbray = great choice just show the personal feelings posters have toward Keane rather then footballing reasons

Speaking of Mowbray, you think Keane is weak defensively tactical wise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

bryanjf wrote: »
    don't you mean portsmouth?

noob

No, Spurs. The middleweights of English football facing a relegation battle are saved by the ol wheeler dealer kicking off with that mental match vs Arsenal. Portsmouth have generally always been a nothing team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am hoping after the Reading game, he gets his marching orders, can't come soon enough to be honest. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

JPA wrote: »
    How are Ipswich playing? I notice they draw almost half their games.
    Could a couple of goalscorers make the difference or is it team wide problems?

It is really team wide, he picks the wrong selections, he blames it on goalscorers but he has isolated so many players now and got rid of the top scorer.. makes no sense.

angel01 wrote: »
    It is really team wide, he picks the wrong selections, he blames it on goalscorers but he has isolated so many players now and got rid of the top scorer.. makes no sense.

this is just 90% wrong

angel01 wrote: »
    I am hoping after the Reading game, he gets his marching orders, can't come soon enough to be honest. :)

why?

he has turned the team around, they are showing play off form and are safe from relegation.

why would you expect instant success?

this is whats wrong with football fans these days, have you ever heard of stability?

this has been discussed alot over the last few pages, maybe read them before you post a rebuttal cause i dont want to repeat the same things said by myself and other posters again

why?

It's because he's from Cork.

It's hard to argue with really :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

this is just 90% wrong

He had a budget of £10million. I don't know how many players he brought in this season maybe 8 but with that budget they can't really be of high quality. He can only work with what he has. I still think he deserves another season to sort the current squad in the summer.

Vanbis wrote: »
    He had a budget of £10million. I don't know how many players he brought in this season maybe 8 but with that budget they can't really be of high quality. He can only work with what he has. I still think he deserves another season to sort the current squad in the summer.

alot of the players he signed in the summer/january are now showing something, there is a settling in period in most transfers

He has said he knows who he wants to get rid of and keep from the squad for next season, and with the form they have been showing lately there is nothing to say that next season they wont be playoff challengers

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's because he's from Cork.

It's hard to argue with really :pac:

Cork isnt so bad though, Denis Irwin also came from Cork!

Why is it ok to defend Rafa due to net spend but not Keane? do you know his net spend while at Sunderland?

It is certainly not 80million

The truth is, only personal preference really separates Mowbray and Keane in terms of achievement tbh, so calls of Mowbray = great choice just show the personal feelings posters have toward Keane rather then footballing reasons

Speaking of Mowbray, you think Keane is weak defensively tactical wise!!

Care to point out where I defended rafa's net spend in this thread? Since you bring up net spend we'll have a look at how Mowbary and keane have done.

Keane:
    06/07 first year with sunderland £5m
    07/08 first year in premiership £57m
    08/09 2nd year in prem £12m
    09/10 First year with Ipswich £7m

total Net spend: £81m

Mowbary:
    He start in october 06 so I'll go by the start of the 07/08 season.
    07/08 £5.6m
    08/09 First season in premier £9.5m
    09/10 First season with Celtic £4.5m

Total Net spend: £8.4m

Now, you might disagree, Lloyd thinks transfer and money don't matter but If I was owner of a club I'd be pretty worried about handing Keane a bucket load of money. Better in the transfer market, more experience and better track record all point towards Mowberry being a better choice If I could pick. As many pro Keane fans have point out he has many flaws and he needs more experience to sort them out. I don't think a club who want immediate promotion is the place for Keane to work out on those problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I think he'll be given another season.

Care to point out where I defended rafa's net spend in this thread? Since you bring up net spend we'll have a look at how Mowbary and keane have done.

Keane:
    06/07 first year with sunderland £5m
    07/08 first year in premiership £57m
    08/09 2nd year in prem £12m
    09/10 First year with Ipswich £7m

total Net spend: £81m

Mowbary:
    He start in october 06 so I'll go by the start of the 07/08 season.
    07/08 £5.6m
    08/09 First season in premier £9.5m
    09/10 First season with Celtic £4.5m

Total Net spend: £8.4m

Now, you might disagree, Lloyd thinks transfer and money don't matter but If I was owner of a club I'd be pretty worried about handing Keane a bucket load of money. Better in the transfer market, more experience and better track record all point towards Mowberry being a better choice If I could pick. As many pro Keane fans have point out he has many flaws and he needs more experience to sort them out. I don't think a club who want immediate promotion is the place for Keane to work out on those problems.

Hyperbole is awesome. :rolleyes:

Sunderland are still a going concern in the Premier League thanks to the good work Roy Keane did in getting them there and keeping them up. Tony Mowbrary is another good manager, who seems to be a decent fellah and sets his teams up to play attractive football. But they are no longer in the Premier League, because he couldn't keep them up.

Now, on a wider level, West Brom are a club operated far more prudently than Sunderland. Mowbrary didn't exactly cover himself in glory with the players he bought at Celtic, and some of the small sums he had to spend at West Brom were used less than wisely (Roman Bednar anyone?).

The reality is that there is little or nothing to pick between the two of them. They are managers with flaws and skill deficiencies (albeit in different areas) that look to send out different types of teams that play different styles of football. Both have won the Championship, both have enjoyed poor campaigns in 2009 / 10. The key difference in their resumes is the fact that Keane survived the ordeal of a PL season, and Mowbrary did not (though you can offset that difference by money spent if you like).

Ultimately Keane is 8 years his junior and was one of the best players of his generation. I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that he carries a bit more upside. Like everything else in life, practice makes perfect. People want Keane to fail so desperately that they are unable to recognize that what he has done thus far in the 4 years (!!!) he has worked as a manager is more than acceptable on a relative level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

and some of the small sums he had to spend at West Brom were used less than wisely (Roman Bednar anyone?).

Sorry to pick out just point of the post but that's just incorrect.

Bednar was excellent in the loan spell (cost them £200,000) with a return of 13 goals in 29 games.

Even after that when he signed permanently he still averaged a goal every three games at a cost of £2.3 million.

Hardly a bad signing by any means.

Anyway, carry on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't think a club who want immediate promotion is the place for Keane to work out on those problems.

You really need to think about this sentance.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sorry to pick out just point of the post but that's just incorrect.

Bednar was excellent in the loan spell (cost them £200,000) with a return of 13 goals in 29 games.

Even after that when he signed permanently he still averaged a goal every three games at a cost of £2.3 million.

Hardly a bad signing by any means.

Anyway, carry on....

Fair enough, cheerfully withdrawn. :)

Hyperbole is awesome. :rolleyes:

Sunderland are still a going concern in the Premier League thanks to the good work Roy Keane did in getting them there and keeping them up. Tony Mowbrary is another good manager, who seems to be a decent fellah and sets his teams up to play attractive football. But they are no longer in the Premier League, because he couldn't keep them up. .

He did well to get them up, I wouldn't go as far as saying he did well to keep them up considering he had a net spent of £69m and left them in the relegation zone.
    Now, on a wider level, West Brom are a club operated far more prudently than Sunderland. Mowbrary didn't exactly cover himself in glory with the players he bought at Celtic, and some of the small sums he had to spend at West Brom were used less than wisely (Roman Bednar anyone?).

I know little about the SPL or Celtic so his signings might have been poor but looking at them and there stats it doesnt seem to bad. There most expensive signing Fortune(£3.9m) has notched up 8 goals in 20 league appearances. As I said no real clue about Celtic so the others could well be lemons.
    The reality is that there is little or nothing to pick between the two of them. They are managers with flaws and skill deficiencies (albeit in different areas) that look to send out different types of teams that play different styles of football. Both have won the Championship, both have enjoyed poor campaigns in 2009 / 10. The key difference in their resumes is the fact that Keane survived the ordeal of a PL season, and Mowbrary did not (though you can offset that difference by money spent if you like).

The key difference for me is Mowbray has shown what he can do with a limited budget, Keane hasn't. His record with Hibs is also very impressive. If Ipswich have a bottomless pit of money then I see no reason to get rid of keane, however I doubt that's the case though. In the last 3 years there transfer spend is a -£14m, that can't last.
    Ultimately Keane is 8 years his junior and was one of the best players of his generation. I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that he carries a bit more upside. Like everything else in life, practice makes perfect. People want Keane to fail so desperately that they are unable to recognize that what he has done thus far in the 4 years (!!!) he has worked as a manager is more than acceptable on a relative level.

I don't see what the fact he has one of the best players of his generation has to do with it. Most of the best managers were never amazing players. Practice does make perfect, and I think a club looking instant promotion and having spend so much money to achieve it should be a club looking to give a manager some practice. I think most other teams except Ipsiwch would be stupid to sack him, but when you've spend a good bit of money if Keane spends more money in the summer and fails to make the premiership Ipswich could find themselves in serious trouble. I don't think it's a huge mistake to sack him and I don't think it's a huge mistake to keep on, what I do think is a huge mistake for the club not to even consider there options.

The club will consider their options, they always do! a manager is appraised by the club regularly enough these days by all accounts

but to sack the man, when he has them playing well, and not even a full season under his belt would be a huge mistake

if they get ridiculously lucky they could end up in the playoffs this season

and as unlikely as that is, if it does happen, i will be resurrecting this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The club will consider their options, they always do! a manager is appraised by the club regularly enough these days by all accounts

but to sack the man, when he has them playing well, and not even a full season under his belt would be a huge mistake

and as unlikely as that is, if it does happen, i will be resurrecting this thread

Any money with you right now that it won't happen!

They are much more likely to be relegated. If Palace win there game in hand there only 6 points off the drop. If Leciester win there game in hand there 14 points off promotion with 18 points to play for. I don't tihnk either will happen but relegation is still more likely I think.

Advertisement