Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win a VIP Star Wars experience at Invasion Dublin this weekend

Options
  • 29-03-2010 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

As you probably know INVASION DUBLIN is hitting Citywest this weekend, April 3 to 5 and we have a VIP prize for one lucky member.

Invasion Dublin is Ireland’s only Star Wars Convention.

It is the ultimate Star Wars fans dream to be able to walk onto a replica set from the movies and get their photographs taken with costumed members from the world-renowned Emerald Garrison.

Be part of Ireland’s greatest ever science fiction event and support Barretstown at the same time!

Organised by internationally recognised costuming club Emerald Garrison, 2009's Invasion in Belfast attracted 14,000 visitors over two days.

Now with a bigger venue, a third day open to the public and a massively increased media presence, Invasion Dublin is guaranteed to be an even bigger success.

As with all sci-fi events there will be a roaring trade in memorabilia. Traders in toys, comics, books, DVDs, artwork, costumes and other ephemera will be on hand to ensure no one need leave empty-handed.

Visitors to Invasion Dublin will not believe their eyes when they pass through the portal and are taken to a place from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Some of the original Movie cast coming over include:
    • David Prowse (Darth Vader)
    • Kenny Baker (R2-D2)
    • Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett)
    • Caroline Blakiston (Mon Mothma)
    • Dermot Crowley (General Madine)

THE BOARDS.IE PRIZE:

We have tickets for you and your lucky friend to INVASION DUBLIN.

Not only that but you'll have accommodation in Citywest Hotel on Saturday night (B&B) for two people sharing, free admission for two days, access to the VIP lounge within the conference centre and an invitation to the Costume Party on Saturday night.

To be in with a chance of winning, all you have to do is post below telling us why you should win. We'd like this prize to go to committed Star Wars fans, so the more effort you put in to your post, the higher your chance of winning!

The competition is open to all Boards.ie members with 20 posts or more and the winner will be picked on Thursday April 1. Judge's decision is final.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

/passes hand in front of Darragh's face

because "these ARE the tickets I am looking for"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I should win cos my little 8yr is a Star Wars nut and will make his yeah going t meet Darth Vader and co

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It is my destiny.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I once fainted after trying too hard to push a pen across a desk with my mind.
    I also once got my head stuck in a bucket trying to dress up like Darth Vader.
    I will probably kill the actor who played Darth but I still think it should be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I find your lack of faith that i shouldn't win disturbing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I have to go to this because due to my mother giving away ALL original Star Wars memorabilia when I was a kid, because I was "too old for toys!" I have to re-start my collection. And what better place to start my collection again. Plus meet the greats :)

I miss my millennium falcon so hard :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

IT'S A TRAP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

If I won the tickets I'd wear my full body Stormtrooper outfit for the full weekend, even when I have to take Dublin Bus and risk getting beat up by some skangers when walking down O'Connell Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I should get them because :

I had a tough childhood. Never really knew my parents as I was raised on my aunt & Uncles farm.
    Then there was a young one in a spot of bother one day and myself and my buddy and his over sized dog helped her out.
    Felt a spark there straight away with her, knew we had a connection, after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing, got the aul shift off her.
    All was going well until it turns out she's my ****ing sister and our aul lad is trying to take over the Universe!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

<< Star Wars name tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Well, just take a look at my name!... I'm a HUGE fan!..

I have asthma, and can out wheeze the big guy ANYTIME!.... :D

May the force be with us all......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

Let me see, cause I'm a main charater. I say things like

I can bullseye a womp rat and that's not much bigger than two meters.
    Where could he be?
    What a hunk of junk?
    He claims to be the property of an Obi Wan Kenobi.
    Well look after yourself Han, I guess it's what your best at.
    I care.
    With the blast shield down I can't even see, how am I supposed to fight?
    I got one, I got one!!!
    Red Five standing by

Oh yeah and I have done what my username suggests. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I should win because when I found a woman selling Star Wars comics at a Sunday market, clearing out her sons room without him knowing, I sent her back to him instead of buying them because I told her that they were priceless and if he was as big a star wars fan as the comics would suggest he would have been broken hearted that they were sold for a tenner!
    I think that sort of selflessness in spite of the opportunity to turn to the darkside and buy them from her marks me out to be at least trying to follow the light path of the Jedi....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Because I missed star wars in concert being a broke student and would love to go to this to make up for missing it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

These are not the competition winners you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

I think Buzzthebatgirl should win this so she and her hubby can go, because a few weeks back she posted the following on boards.ie
    Apologies if I am posting in the wrong area, but I have won tickets to 98fm's Star Wars the March. Unfortunately the person I was to go with has pulled out, so I have a spare ticket for this event that needs to be filled. So I'm now looking for someone to fill the spare ticket. Whoever is interested must be be able to get to Dublin city center on Sunday morning on the 7th March and willing to wear the provided Stormtrooper outfit and attend the Matinee performance of Star Wars in concert. All I ask in return is that you are a Star Wars fan and willing to buy me a drink afterwards tongue.gif

Please PM me if you are interested in this

I was lucky enough to PM her and she brought me to this, it was the most amazing experience of my life as a fan to dress up as a stormtrooper and go see the live show it was out of this world. We got our picture taken with Anthony Daniels and we are on starwars.com.

I think she truly deserves this because it's amazing that there is still kindness out there in people I had nearly lost faith in people there for awhile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I should go because I was around for the first wave of star wars mania, went through it again when my brothers got a bit older, and went through it twice with my son - once when he was 4 or 5, and again when he hit his teens.

Plus I'm a nice guy who deserves to get a break every now and then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

A hot girl will probably go with me if I get the tickets.

And I actually hurt my hand slamming it on a desk when I found out, to my horror, that Knights of the Old Republic III would now be canceled in favour of 'another' crappy Star Wars MMORPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

um because i have 3 kids that are driving me nuts,
    because ive never won a competition
    because i took care of my hubby while he had cancer 2 years ago
    because my daughter went into dka (diabetic ketoacidosis(diabetic coma)) just 5 days after my dad died last august
    because my 3 year old is being assessed for an austim spetrum disorder
    because my 10 year old let the handbreak of the car and it crashed into the front of the house (which we had to knock and rebuild)
    because one of my boys downed a bottle of calpol

or none of the above

but just because i'm me.

Couldn' t you pick a better day than April 1st, I might be thinking its an april fools!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Just look at my username, can you spot which famous Star Wars character I am? And I would just love to meet the man behind the mask for which I owe my monicker to!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

because I even enjoyed the 'new' trilogy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

I think my bf has to be the biggest Star Wars fan ever. He still has all of his original toys...and still plays with them like hes 5!

He always dresses as Darth Vader for Halloween. This past Halloween because he couldnt see very well out of the mask, he skipped the queue at the local shops. When I said 'youre skipping the queue' he replied 'Darth Vader doesnt wait in queues'. To which the lady promptly served him, while everyone else laughed.

He dressed up in full Darth Vader costume with exact replica lightsaber when we attended the Star Wars concert, and delighted people by posing for pictures with them at the intermission.

Insists he does not have a car, but a X-wing fighter, and makes shooting noises when driving.

Only talks to me in a Yoda voice when I am sick, because he says its how I sound too.

He can recite ALL of the Star Wars movies from memory, and repeatedly insists on watching them over and over and over.

Travelled to London for the 2007 convention, dressed as Darth Vader....even on the plane and the tube there!

All this and did I mention hes 31 ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I think I should win because I tick all the boxes:
    • Compulsory Star Wars quote - ("These are not the droids boards.ie members you are looking for"). Yes I can quote the movies.
    • The OMG I've been a Star Wars fan since the beginning of time and using The Force - seriously since I can remember I have been a HUGE SW fan. I have the merchandise, the Darth Vader t-shirts, the games, the OST for driving - cannot beat the Imperial March when stuck in traffic and using "the Force" on the annoying drivers sitting in yellow boxes, trying to nudge in and holding everyone up.
    • Have played the RPG back in the days of the hold internet before fancy GUI's and flashes.
    • I really want a Storm Trooper outfit.
    • I wanted to be Mrs. Han Solo!
    • I thought the person who put Star Wars and LEGO together deserved all the Nobel Prizes. Genius idea. Although many an accident has been had with the Lightsaber Wii attachement. I'm surprised I still have a working tv. I have Star Wars LEGO still and still collect it.
    • I have a Lightsaber for my Wall-E desk toy.
    • I am a musician and I've played most of the Star Wars music and now I want to hear it from the other side.

I could go on and on and on. I really wanted to go but the prices were too much for me. Please pick me! I'd really appreciate it. I LOVE Star Wars. It's not often I get to say that (being a girl and all that).

Boards.ie - great prize, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

"I've got a bad feeling about this!"....Love Star wars...always have....was lucky enough to be the right age when they came out first, I was never so devastated as when i found out R2D2 and C3P0 weren't real (or are they?)....but that alleviated when I met Anthony Daniels...and I would really love to meet Kenny Baker....that would make it most memorable for me!!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wyrn wrote: »
    I could go on and on and on. I really wanted to go but the prices were too much for me. Please pick me! I'd really appreciate it. I LOVE Star Wars. It's not often I get to say that (being a girl and all that).

Boards.ie - great prize, well done!

eh! you do know its not for the concert but the convention right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Skerries wrote: »
    eh! you do know its not for the concert but the convention right?

Aye. Sorry I just got carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

I would really really love to win these tickets, basically for the girl i'm seeing. She's had a pretty hard time of it lately, and this would make her year. why? Well first off her name is Leah, secondly I pretty much fell for her when she compared the snowfall in cork to the landscape of Hoth. She's a self professed sith, and basically loves everything star wars related to a rediculous degree. Anyways this would pretty much kick ass if she won, really cheer her up. Cant think of a better reason than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I think my bf has to be the biggest Star Wars fan ever. He still has all of his original toys...and still plays with them like hes 5!

He always dresses as Darth Vader for Halloween. This past Halloween because he couldnt see very well out of the mask, he skipped the queue at the local shops. When I said 'youre skipping the queue' he replied 'Darth Vader doesnt wait in queues'. To which the lady promptly served him, while everyone else laughed.

He dressed up in full Darth Vader costume with exact replica lightsaber when we attended the Star Wars concert, and delighted people by posing for pictures with them at the intermission.

Insists he does not have a car, but a X-wing fighter, and makes shooting noises when driving.

Only talks to me in a Yoda voice when I am sick, because he says its how I sound too.

He can recite ALL of the Star Wars movies from memory, and repeatedly insists on watching them over and over and over.

Travelled to London for the 2007 convention, dressed as Darth Vader....even on the plane and the tube there!

All this and did I mention hes 31 ?!

This guy needs to win!
    I have a picture of a number of friends with him.

If not him why not me,
    Once it has star wars on it i try to buy it, i've bought nearly all the computer games at some point.

I went to see the clone wars cartoon in the cinema in an R2D2 t-shirt and was proud.

If i don't win make sure that guy does!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Uncle Buck

I'd kiss a Wookie to go to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thats no moon...its a pair of tickets being issued to me....many Bothan spies died to bring you all this information.

Advertisement