Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man beating dog while out on walk...what can I do?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

A friend of mine was watching her son's football match on Sat a.m near Sallynoggin at Joey's Football Ground and witnessed a man walking 2 dogs savagely beating one of them...an elderly German Shepherd.

Another witness yelled at him to leave the dog alone and was told to f*** off.
    My friend, however, followed him and confronted him and he said the dog deserved it because he was "being bold".

She followed him and has a fair idea where he lives. I think she called into the Gardai on the way home, but they might not do anything.

I told her to ring the DSPCA and report it, even though there is probably not a lot they can do either.

Just as well I was not there as I would actually be in Dun Laoghaire Garda Station now on assault charges.

Has anyone any advice on what can be done? I will personally find him if necessary.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

DSPCA if you know where he lives.. im sure they investigate any call they get about cruelty..

Im sure they can tell if they get a look at the dog if its being mistreated? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hey call the DSPCA but I dont know if they can do anything really.

I witnessed the very same thing last summer, a young guy out cycling with a boxer. Had the dogs lead attached to the handle bars of the bike, the dog had to dodge a pothole and the guy landed on his arse on the ground. He then kicked the s**t out of the dog. I was in traffic at the time so turned when I could. I didnt say anything as I was on my own and I'm only small! But followed him home (ended up very near my own house) reported it, got a call the next day asking for directions. Didnt hear anything else from them since but seen the guy out walking with him a few days later so obviously nothing was done.

so frustrating. The guy had a hoodie on him from a kickboxing club :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Just got an update on this now:

She called Kill o the grange guards who said they would send out a car
    as he would probably walk them later. Not a lot they can do though but
    they did say if you ever witness anything like that again to report it
    immediately and they will send a car around. Any delay in reporting
    makes it harder to act on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It probably depends on how much he was beating it too. If he just gave it a few hits, then there's probably nothing they can do.

Poor dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Guards are responsible for enforcing the law of the land & any instance should be reported to them as if it were any other criminal case. The person reporting should get an incident number & offer to make a sworn statement. They should also make it clear that they will follow up to ensure that the matter is dealt with.

Should they feel unhappy with the Garda response then they should report the matter to the Garda Ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Eibhin wrote: »
    A friend of mine was watching her son's football match on Sat a.m near Sallynoggin at Joey's Football Ground and witnessed a man walking 2 dogs savagely beating one of them...an elderly German Shepherd.

Another witness yelled at him to leave the dog alone and was told to f*** off.
    My friend, however, followed him and confronted him and he said the dog deserved it because he was "being bold".

She followed him and has a fair idea where he lives. I think she called into the Gardai on the way home, but they might not do anything.

I told her to ring the DSPCA and report it, even though there is probably not a lot they can do either.

Just as well I was not there as I would actually be in Dun Laoghaire Garda Station now on assault charges.

Has anyone any advice on what can be done? I will personally find him if necessary.:mad:

Take care; and we hope you find him.

Once you have his address, let the spca do what they can. They can involve the gardai if need be then.

I now do this as like you I would just lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Evidence is key. So use your mobile phones to film or photograph it where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP don't follow this man again, you never know he may have a load of mates around the corner.

Advertisement