Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to buy a new laptop in Limerick this week

Options
  • 29-03-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a new laptop in Limerick this week.
    I would prefer not to buy online, for a purchase this size I want to see and touch the laptop before I buy.
    From research I have done (mostly here on boards!) I have narrowed it down to a HP or a Toshiba brand (cant afford an Apple and my last few laptops have all been Dell and I would like to try a non-Dell laptop this time to see what the difference is if any ...).
    Budget circa 600 - 650 euros.
    Use - general home stuff, nothing too heavy. Not for any gaming. Lots of photos and lots of music (Itunes), apart form that, general internet browsing really. I will also buy an external hard drive (to store all those photos in case the new laptop ever crashes). As to shop, either of Soundstore, Harvey Normans, probably need to add one other store here.
    Any ideas/feedback before I take the plunge?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

any of the sony vaio models in Currys on william street.

just don't buy the cover plan. it is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I've got the HP Pavilion dv6 - €690 - perfectly adequate for general work. Like you all my pics and music are stored on an external drive - will cost you €105 ish for 500Gb.. Harveys for the LT and Click in crescent for the Drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

banjobongo wrote: »
    I want to buy a new laptop in Limerick this week.
    I would prefer not to buy online, for a purchase this size I want to see and touch the laptop before I buy.

Why not browse around the Shops, decide on one or two you really like, inspect them, test drive and then jot down the model number and compare prices online - might save you a few quid; Probably easily enough cover the price of your external backup drive.....

- Also for your requirements don't allow yourself to be talked into spending a huge pile of money by the Sales Crew.....
    any of the sony vaio models in Currys on william street.

just don't buy the cover plan. it is a waste of money.

Are the Sony Vaio after coming down in price? I've always thought they represented very poor value for money when compared to just about any other choice on the Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

ive seen alot of hp's for repair so i myself would not buy hp.. i just bought an acer which im totally happy with so far in pc world..

2.2 ghz processor
    4 gb ram
    17" HD screen
    1gb graphicsw card

€600

LB6 wrote: »
    I've got the HP Pavilion dv6 - €690 - perfectly adequate for general work. Like you all my pics and music are stored on an external drive - will cost you €105 ish for 500Gb.. Harveys for the LT and Click in crescent for the Drive

theres a 1TB external hdd in argos for 69.99

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    Are the Sony Vaio after coming down in price? I've always thought they represented very poor value for money when compared to just about any other choice on the Market.

this i agree with a real case of paying for the name.. nothing spectacular about their laptops yet they always cost 100's more for same spec as others..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

vaios are a good mahine though. have one since 2007 and it is working perfectly - even with vista on it.

and yeah, therea are a couple of vaios around the 600-700 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Give Soundstore a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

What are the main laoptop shops in Limerick? Off the top of my head, theres Soundstore, Harvey Normans, Currys....does Limerick still have a PC World or Compustore?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What are the main laoptop shops in Limerick? Off the top of my head, theres Soundstore, Harvey Normans, Currys....does Limerick still have a PC World or Compustore?

Yes,would you not shop online for a bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

bazz26 wrote: »
    Give Soundstore a try.

I bought my Tosh in Soundstore about 4 years ago and still very happy with it, bought one there for my daughter 2 yrs ago and again no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

(cant afford an Apple and my last few laptops have all been Dell and I would like to try a non-Dell laptop this time to see what the difference is if any ...).

Any ideas/feedback before I take the plunge?
    thanks!

Yeah.... be happy you cant afford an apple, they are for posers who buy them cause "they look pretty" but they generally know next to nothing about the machine they bought. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Aldi have a very high spec. model instore. Good price too, with an unbeatable warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is a blast from the past. They went belly up nationwide about six or seven years ago. The Limerick store lasted just under four years, from late 1999 to 2003.

One of the directors tried reopening the name on a smaller scale since, but think that died as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

to answer my own question from early on, the main PC shops in Limerick are:
    located beside Homebase, on the Childers Road, there are 2 PC shops, PC World and Currys, and then beside B&Q out on the Tipp Road side, there is Soundstore and Harvey Normans.
    I think thats the main PC shops in Limerick?

I looked in briefly today at PC World and Currys. PC World had what looked like a good deal to me, a HP G61 with Intel Pentium Dual Core running Windows 7, 4GB memory, 320 GB hard Drive, for 529 euros. At Currys they only seemed to have Dells and Acers, neither of which I would like.

I will check out Harvey Normans then lastly Soundstore, as the feedback in this forum seems to be very positive for Soundstore, and one my neighbours works there, maybe he can give me a discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Aldi have a very high spec. model instore. Good price too, with an unbeatable warranty.

Anymore info on this one?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PC World and Curry's are the same company, both part of the Dixons Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bazz26 wrote: »
    Give Soundstore a try.

daughter got a fairly high spec Toshiba there a few weeks ago, not sure think it cost €650 approx,

the staff there seem to know their stuff, unlike another outlet in the city.

Advertisement