Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer footage from Video Camera to Laptop?

• 29-03-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

I have a Video Camera in the Attic and want to transfer all my footage from 7/8 years ago onto my Laptop.

- The Video Camera will obligingly output to RCA/Phono as video, and L+R Audio so am just looking for the best way of taking it from there.

I suppose I need to buy a cheap USB Video Capture device somewhere along the lines of the below - so I suppose I am just looking for recommendations on what to buy (and where to buy it) and also recommendations for some easy to use, free video editing software to carve the footage into logical files.

7690d1225953849-pinnacle-usb-video-capture-sound-card-pinnacle-usb-video-capture-sound-card.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Raiser i see you're in Limerick, if you PM me i can give you a lend of my USB TV stick to do this! save you the €50-€70 to go buying one specifically for only this one job... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have a HDD TV recorder you could use the input on that and then burn to DVD, old footage would only need LP standards so you could fit at least 2 hours per disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

xsiborg wrote: »
    Raiser i see you're in Limerick, if you PM me i can give you a lend of my USB TV stick to do this! save you the €50-€70 to go buying one specifically for only this one job... ;)

That's a very generous and decent of you!

- I'll PM ya now and promise to drop ya over a few beers or something for your trust and trouble :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

PM sent... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

PROBLEM CONNECTING ACER LAPTOP TO PHILIPS LCD TV

I have decided to post this on this thread as it was the closest I could find with my enquiry, can anyone help?

Hi, I have a Philips SLC7. 5E. LA 32 inch LCD television. I acquired an SVIDEO cable to connect my laptop to my t.v. My laptop is ACER travelmate 5720.I managed to get it connected and was able to view my computer on screen, but my acer computer went blank as it is wont to do but comes back when I tap any key on the computer. When I did this my television would no longer transmit my computer on its screen( blue screen). I have tried everything including reconfiguring my computers resolution but to no avail. Please help - Its driving me cazy esp. after getting a taste of how much better it is to be able to view my videos on tv. Kind Regards, Chris.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Go into the video card settings. Right click on desktop and select properties (or equilalent on Vista or Win7, usually grpahics control panel or something).

Usually there's settings here for dealing with dual monitors. I would set up a cloned view.

Also S-Video is awful. What other options do you have on your Laptop and TV? HDMI, DVI VGA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

5uspect wrote: »
    Go into the video card settings. Right click on desktop and select properties (or equilalent on Vista or Win7, usually grpahics control panel or something).

Usually there's settings here for dealing with dual monitors. I would set up a cloned view.

Also S-Video is awful. What other options do you have on your Laptop and TV? HDMI, DVI VGA?

Thanks 5uspect, I went to Peats yesterday and initially got the connection with 15 holes in it shaped like a paralleogram. Thing was although it connect into the computer - their was no corresponding connection on my tv.Had to go back with pics of the back of tv and they were able to identify that svideo was required. Heard that Philips are not the most computer friendly with their connections. I am not the most computer savvy, so could you perhaps give me more info as regards to cloning the monitor. Much appreciated, Chris.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well what kind of graphics card do you have?
    (Hit stsrt>RUN and type dxdiag and then hit enter
    Go to the display tab on the window that opens and note the device name)

If the TV has a HDMI connection and your laptop has DVI output you can connect the two as they're basically the same thing.

Also you can get a VGA to component cables that would probably work for you.

As regards setting up the clone:
    http://www.svideo.com/monitorclone.html

Advertisement