Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sat nav apps for an iphone... suggestions advise sought...

Options
  • 29-03-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

hi all.
    Was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the best iphone app.... going o be driving from Ire to Italy this summer.... if the apps available aren't up to much will use a regular sat nav..

Also a query on how the iphone works... does it have to be internet connected to find your GPS location? if so the app wouldn't be worth purchasing or does it work off the same format as Garmin/Tom Tom's?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I only know of the TomTom App & car kit.
    App for iPhone

Car Kit for iPhone

The car kit is required as that is what has the GSP reciever.
    note:The app alone will not provide turn-by-turn directions for your iPhone or iPod touch. In order for the app to work on your device, you’ll need the TomTom car kit with its built-in GPS receiver Only the iPhone 3G and 3GS do not require the TomTom car kit for the app to function, as these models have GPS technology embedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

koolkid wrote: »
    I only know of the TomTom App & car kit.
    App for iPhone

Car Kit for iPhone

The car kit is required as that is what has the GSP reciever.
    note:The app alone will not provide turn-by-turn directions for your iPhone or iPod touch. In order for the app to work on your device, you’ll need the TomTom car kit with its built-in GPS receiver Only the iPhone 3G and 3GS do not require the TomTom car kit for the app to function, as these models have GPS technology embedded.

I don't have an iPhone but it be worth trying a standalone Bluetooth GPS receiver like this with the TomTom app, especially if you already have a cradle for the phone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your image doesn't seem to be showing up. Can you link to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

koolkid wrote: »
    Your image doesn't seem to be showing up. Can you link to it again.

Pressed image button instead of link :). Should be showing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I have motion x on my iphone its free and works fine has option to overlay terrain, satellite etc. Also you can download on wifi offline mapping to use although you have to buy the full app to be able to download and use offline the best detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

thanks for the info .... will take a look at those options

Advertisement