Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My own connection problems....

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok.....here's a strange one for you lot....

I've been playing BC2 since the beta and have been lucky never to have any serious connection problems until now.

I live in France and I often watch UK television via a paid VPN proxy service (€5 per month). Yesterday I was connected to the TiG server I usually play on when I realised that I had left the proxy on and that my traffic was being routed via London which explained why I was experiencing so much lag.

So I quit BC2, disconnected the VPN connection and relaunched the game only to get the dreaded "failed to connect to ea online" message. It was pretty late so after 3 tries I gave up, waiting until today to play again.

Today for the past 20 minutes I've been trying to connect but I always get the same error message. Then I thought of something that I was sure wouldn't work; I reconnected to the UK-based proxy server, relaunched the game and wow, it finally connected!
    I quit the game, kill the proxy and try again only to find I'm getting the "failed to connect to ea online" again.

Does anyone have an idea why this could be happening ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Possibly that the EA server the game is directing you to connect through is in France and is over whelmed with connection requests? When you put on your proxy its hitting the UK one that has capacity?

Maybe do a TCPIP dump when you are trying both methods and see what IP the data request is hitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Do you have any interent at all when it will not connect to the EA servers? Or is it just this game. I would say it prolly something to do with the security setup for the french connection. If you have the set up done for the english connection its defaulting and fine. Its not with the other...?

Funny thing, the only reason there is a single player campaign with this fookin game is for when you cannot connect to the MP you can play that instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Do you have any interent at all when it will not connect to the EA servers? Or is it just this game. I would say it prolly something to do with the security setup for the french connection. If you have the set up done for the english connection its defaulting and fine. Its not with the other...?

Everything is fine when I'm not using the VPN. Internet, telephone and television all come via the ADSL.

I don't have any 'setup' as such for the French connection, I only use the VPN for the UK connection.

Remember also that it has always worked fine until yesterday evening when I went via the VPN by error and now seemed to have broken something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

TheFairy wrote: »
    Maybe do a TCPIP dump when you are trying both methods and see what IP the data request is hitting?

Good one. Will try it tonight !

Advertisement