Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Am I too late to plant a hedge (bare root) along my boundary fence?
    If not, can you recommend a fast growing species eventually reaching c. 6 foot?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

There has been very little growth due to the weather conditions so I suspect you should be OK with bare root.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about204.html

This is pretty good for hedging advice...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

planted a load of bare root at the weekend - none had shown too much sign of budding, so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Digipass wrote: »
    Am I too late to plant a hedge (bare root) along my boundary fence?
    If not, can you recommend a fast growing species eventually reaching c. 6 foot?
    Cheers

Grisellinea, Privet (Green or Golden)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 studfromthewood

You should still be fine. The general rule is to plant when their is an "R" in the month.(Sept-April) I planted about 100 bare root laurel in Late april 2009 and they are 100%. We watered them a few times but May was pretty wet so we got away with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

personally i wouldn't touch Grisellinea unless you live near the coast , gets frost burn, wind burn, dead, well with me any way, go with something native or reliably hardy . choose something that flowers, berries give the bugs and birdsa helping hand they need it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

could i stick in a quick question here instead of starting a new thread????

i am considering planting a hedge at the bottom of my garden and was consideing berberis(spelling). is it posible to plant various types together and will they grow at the same rate?
    could anyone suggest types that will compliment each other and maybe suggest how far apart they need to be spaced when planting. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

could i stick in a quick question here instead of starting a new thread????

i am considering planting a hedge at the bottom of my garden and was consideing berberis(spelling). is it posible to plant various types together and will they grow at the same rate?
    could anyone suggest types that will compliment each other and maybe suggest how far apart they need to be spaced when planting. thanks

Check out the hedging link provided above. There's details of bearberry hedges in there. They all grow at approximately the same rate.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about204.html

As for which ones compliment each other, that's kind of a personal choice.

johno

Advertisement