Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying a Skoda Octavia

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was looking at a Skoda Octavia's (1.9 TDi) at the weekend, a 2006 and 2007.

Whats the difference between The Classic, Ambiente and Elegence?

Anyone know of anything to watch out for when buying??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trim levels - Classic cheapest.

Its got a big boot, thats all you need to know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Buy an Elegance spec one - at that age it had air con that the others missed out on, plus some other bits and pieces.

Otherwise...ya they're grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mike65 wrote: »
    Its got a big boot, thats all you need to know. :)

you suggesting that's all they have to offer? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Does the Elegance have alloys as standard?
    The 2007 was I was looking at hadn't got alloys, just hubcaps :(
    I only had a very quick look and drive in it as it was late.

What are the main things the Elegance has that the others dont? Is it worth holding out for a Elegance? The one I was looking at was 2007, 60000kms on the clock, 12 months warrantym fully serviced and valeted, €11000

When would the timing belt want to be changed?

Classic is basic enough.

Ambiente adds arm rest, front fogs, better trim, rear elec windows and a better stereo.

Elecgance - climate control, 15 inch alloys, leather wheel. Popular enough on them were multi function wheel and cruise as options.

There is probably a few other little things but they are the main bits. Newer spec models have a higher spec again.

• Advertisement

Not well this one was definately not an elegance model, hadnt alloys, multi function wheel or leather wheel.

Would €11,000 sound about right for what i've mentioned?

Back again. :rolleyes:

Has the Ambience Model an AUX point as standard in the armrest does anyone know??? I was in one over the weekend and it had one but I was wondering are they standard in all Ambience models?

Getting a good one at the right money is hard!! Still looking!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

dlambirl wrote: »
    Back again. :rolleyes:

Has the Ambience Model an AUX point as standard in the armrest does anyone know??? I was in one over the weekend and it had one but I was wondering are they standard in all Ambience models?

Getting a good one at the right money is hard!! Still looking!! :p
    They should have an AUX port from late 2006 onwards, ones produced from Summer 2006 had that as standard on ambiente and elegance afaik.

Thanks Zonda999

I have my money all ready to go but cant find one!

My local Skoda dealer has only ONE diesel Octavia in the forecourt at the moment and its an 2008 for €14,000 which is beyond my means!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

An 08 will be a nice bit more expensive than a07 or 16 alright, mainly because of the road tax situation, it'll be 450€ cheaper on a 08 one but remember it'll take a while to make up what it cost over a 07! :) Because of this , you should be able to drive a hard bargain on a 07

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've done my calculations and it doesnt make sense to borrow more money to buy an 2008. The extra payments per year would pay easily for the increased motor tax, although I know there would be a better re-sale value on the 2008 car.

Thanks for the link colm_mcm, but I dont want the 2.0ltr model, I'd rather a 1.9ltr but thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yeah, I've done my calculations and it doesnt make sense to borrow more money to buy an 2008. The extra payments per year would pay easily for the increased motor tax, although I know there would be a better re-sale value on the 2008 car.

Thanks for the link colm_mcm, but I dont want the 2.0ltr model, I'd rather a 1.9ltr but thanks though!

Having driven a few of both engined variants, you don't want a 1.9Tdi, you want to pay an extra €32 a year and get the 2.0Tdi.

The 1.9Tdi is a good engine, but the 2.0Tdi is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Classic:
    Black exterior door mirrors,
    Electric front windows.

Ambient:
    Adds colour coded exterior door mirrors,
    Electric rear windows,
    6 speaker stereo/radio,
    Front arm rest,
    Front fog lights.

Elegance:
    Adds alloy wheels,
    8 speaker stereo/radio,
    Climate controlled air conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 edgars

buy the 2.0tdi much better and better resale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

No don't do it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You really should be looking at 08 cars. The 450 difference between that & 07 models will make the 07 car worthless in a few years when 07 & 08s are priced at about 3 to 4k.
    Anyway my advice would be to buy a different car. They can be troublesome like most of the vw group cars but most of all, its so ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mickdw wrote: »
    You really should be looking at 08 cars. The 450 difference between that & 07 models will make the 07 car worthless in a few years when 07 & 08s are priced at about 3 to 4k.
    Anyway my advice would be to buy a different car. They can be troublesome like most of the vw group cars but most of all, its so ugly.

dsngerous words in this forum when your on about a skoda,

2.0 elegance is the only way to go, when it comes to buying second hand elegance is all anyone would want, especially as it gets older , who wants to buy a car with no aircon and no alloys at the moment ? , id go with the uk import

mickdw wrote: »

I cant afford a 08 car mickdw, I have a budget of €10,000.
    I know the re-sale value of the 2006/2007 will be much lower because of the tax issue but I cant afford to buy the 2008.
    dsngerous words in this forum when your on about a skoda,

2.0 elegance is the only way to go, when it comes to buying second hand elegance is all anyone would want, especially as it gets older , who wants to buy a car with no aircon and no alloys at the moment ? , id go with the uk import

I've heard that the 2.0 are more troublesome than the 1.9. Dunno how true/untrue that is. I'd be hoping to put alloys on it anyway so...
    My local garage man does alot of importing and has told me not to expect anything with under 100K miles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My local garage man does alot of importing and has told me not to expect anything with under 100K miles :(

The only ones you can go to the UK for, get cheap and make a profit on are
    high mileage ones. the one I linked had half that.

If you prefer the tractor 1.9, here's an 07 Classic with 58k for E7000, add VRT of 1400 and a few quid for travel and you're at 8850 or so.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=SKODA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=OCTAVIA&max_pr=&miles=60&agerange=5&mileage=6&postcode=ln1+2na&variant=1.9&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=14&ukcarsearch_full.y=5&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=3&distance=11&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=201019358597615

media?id=1138513424

• Advertisement

Will the Octavia ever shed the muck savage image, they are a real farmer going to mass car.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Will the Octavia ever shed the muck savage image, they are a real farmer going to mass car.

As long as people are sad enough to be annoyed by badge probably not

If they sold more high spec versions over here they might shed the image. Had a top spec 2.0 TDI DSG estate in the UK as a rental a few years back and it felt completely different to driving a boggo 1.9.

FWIW, I think the estate is a way better looking car than the hatch.

The estate is rather tasty looking, far too many bog spec wheel trim clad ones about though over here. The Jetta from the 80s of the present day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Here is a fairly high spec model which should be bought on budget with a bit of hard bargining. Mileage is unusually low for the year though so I would make sure and verify the service history:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201015197645703

Nice find bazz, seems to be an Irish model going on the speedo.
    Deffo verify service history, would be slightly suspicious of a C reg high spec low mileage car ending up in a non main dealer the other side of the country

Could be something as simple as a finance repo though.

No, sorry - wouldnt drive the estate ...... at least not yet!!

Thanks for the suggestion colm_mcm but it would at least have to be a Ambience model. My local garage man has a UK 1.9 Octavia, 104K miles for €8000 but its a Classic and I am as fickle to want an armrest, central locking and fogs :p

So, if I can ask your opinions - would the cars coming from the UK with high mileage be alright or should I not touch them with a barge pole. I normally wouldnt entertain buying a car with high mileage, I'd rather one with 50/60K miles but It looks like I wouldnt be able to get one of those with my budget. Is there anything I should be looking for in these Skodas, like problems???

Colm Lindsay has an excellent reputation, also know for having weird stock at high prices but nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement

apart from inherint problems with mileage, a low miler will feel tighter and be less worn. a lot of UK cars with big miles are just doing motorways and will feel better than an Irish car with 100k.

Advertisement